Send to GPS not functioning - help!

LAVY5

This is my first day in (a few hours now), and I'm frustrated. I've properly installed the Garmin communicator plugin for my browser (tested fine), and the GPS device is plugged into USB (showing up on desktop), but "Send to GPS" is not working. The Groundspeak site popup window says "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected."

I purchased the premium membership to be able to send cache locations to my Garmin Nuvi 500.

PLEASE HELP.!

What browser and version?

What OS on the computer?

Browser is Safari v. 4.0.5

Mac OS 10.4.11

The link to get and install the Safari plugin was on the Groundspeak site. The Garmin site said the installation was successful for the communicator plugin (when the test was run), but even after rebooting and turning the GPS on and off, the Groundspeak site said the Garmin communicator plugin was not installed.

Thanks for your time.

Try rebooting the computer.

At least that works for me when I encounter that error.

Windows XP, Firefox 3.6 with Garmin etrex Venture HCx and Garmin Nuvi 1250

Thanks for the tip, but restarting was tried.

Browser is Safari v. 4.0.5

Mac OS 10.4.11

The link to get and install the Safari plugin was on the Groundspeak site. The Garmin site said the installation was successful for the communicator plugin (when the test was run), but even after rebooting and turning the GPS on and off, the Groundspeak site said the Garmin communicator plugin was not installed.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Garmin has recently updated their software to work with Groundspeak's new schema. You will want to switch your setting in your profile from 1.0 to 1.0.1.

To change these settings, please follow these steps:

1) Log into Geocaching.com

2) Select “Your Profile”

3) Select “View Account Details” on the right side of the page

4) Select “Change” under “Your Preferences”

5) Change “GPX Version” from 1.0 to 1.0.1

6) Click “Save Changes”

Firefox seems to work best, whether on a PC or a Mac.

Safari and Flip4Mac is the problem.

Remove Flip4Mac, or change to Firefox.

Much as I like Mac, Safari is 'not the best' browser...

(And all those Grease Monkey scripts you can you with Firefox, that make things so much more fun and easier!)

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you to all those that suggested using Firefox instead of Safari. That seemed to do the trick!

Love it!! :(

--------------------------------------------------

No need at all for the plugin with the Nuvi 500.

Just click the GPX button on any cache listing page and save the file in the garmin\gpx folder on the unit. Unhook and go caching!!

Using Firefox worked, and downloading and installing the GPX file on the Garmin Nuvi 500 worked well, too! I never would've figured that one out without your help!

:(

This is my first day in (a few hours now), and I'm frustrated. I've properly installed the Garmin communicator plugin for my browser (tested fine), and the GPS device is plugged into USB (showing up on desktop), but "Send to GPS" is not working. The Groundspeak site popup window says "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected."

I purchased the premium membership to be able to send cache locations to my Garmin Nuvi 500.

PLEASE HELP.!

Since you are a premium member you might try using GSAK (free trial--$30 shareware fee later) and the NUVI macro. That really got me going. You can then use PQs for downloading up to 1000 caches at a time.

I use the GSAK to send my PQ to all 3 of my GPSrs every week with GSAK. I also use a Vista HCX and a PN-40.

All send problems were traced to the USB cable. Used Win XP Pro and now Windows HP 7-64 bit. Again send problems were USB related.

Edit--saw that you used a Mac..as a computer tech, I alway check the hardware first.

Edited by alohabra