Cache Post and New Cachers..........

If I got 50 emails from different players accusing me of logging bogus finds and also all the deletion notices that also came, I'd be the one complaining to GS. Sounds like group harrassment to me.

If I got 50+ log deletions, I'd figure I did something wrong and figure out how to fix it.

Strike that.

If I didn't have to time to write more than a "v", I'd probably blame everyone else and quit.

If I got 50 emails from different players accusing me of logging bogus finds and also all the deletion notices that also came, I'd be the one complaining to GS. Sounds like group harrassment to me.

If I got 50+ log deletions, I'd figure I did something wrong and figure out how to fix it.

Strike that.

If I didn't have to time to write more than a "v", I'd probably blame everyone else and quit.

yeah...but that is because you are a grumpy ole meany!!!! :)

:)

and keeps getting slapped in tha face by people who think they are better than him??

The finder is the one who stated he didn't have enough time to write more than just a "v". Had he found the time to write one cut and paste note to add to the logs, he could have avoided a lot of trouble.

This is not a one off CO who deleted what they suspected to be a bogus log.

By the finder's own admission, 50+ cache owners emailed him to find out what was up. That tells me that there was a failure to communicate. It is my opinion that the failure was on the finder's part.

Because 50+ cache owners emailed him to ask him to explain, he decided to quit.

I'm not sure how that translates into people thinking they are better than someone else.

Because there's NO WAY that 50+ Cachers decided to do that on their own, this was some sort of ganging up or rumormill that bombarded the player with loads of accusatory email. You can't possibly beleive that even half of those were actually polite? If I got 50 emails from different players accusing me of logging bogus finds and also all the deletion notices that also came, I'd be the one complaining to GS. Sounds like group harrassment to me.

Where'd the 50 number come from? What I read in the first post was "i recieved dozens of emails from people"

OK, dozens is still a lot, but it's not 50. And it could be multiple emails from one person.

Plus the whole thing wreaks (to me) of a kid who was trying to get in the game on his own but made a younger kids mistake of just lazily logging with a letter.

If that's the case, then it's a good life lesson.

He can learn from it or do like a lot of others and point the finger and make the same mistake again.

The point is there is no online log length requirement and there is the option of belated logging of caches found with a team as an individual.

The only guaranteed log is when your name is in the physical logbook.

If it's not, then it is in the logger's best interest to be clear about what they are doing. It's really that simple.

Strike that.

yeah...but that is because you are a grumpy ole meany!!!! :)

You got me there. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Plus the whole thing wreaks (to me) of a kid who was trying to get in the game on his own but made a younger kids mistake of just lazily logging with a letter.

He can learn from it or do like a lot of others and point the finger and make the same mistake again.

The point is there is no online log length requirement and there is the option of belated logging of caches found with a team as an individual.

If it's not, then it is in the logger's best interest to be clear about what they are doing. It's really that simple.

Yup. We, as a society, should smack down any kid who dares commit a social faux pas. Teach em with a brick, I always say...

***note: Sarcasm.

Yup. We, as a society, should smack down any kid who dares commit a social faux pas. Teach em with a brick, I always say...

I would hardly call it smacking him or her who may or may not be a kid down with a brick.

Granted that I think it's always better to start the conversion with a friendly "Hey howdy, I'm not clear on what's going on, Happy caching". but I do expect two-way communication. If you don't respond and then get pissy about the results, well then, you are just going to have to work through it without an apology.

I would hardly call it smacking him or her who may or may not be a kid down with a brick.

Yeah, I know you and geobain wouldn't...

But I've had a couple of teenagers and seen what happens when society feels the need to teach them a lesson. I think my analogy is spot on.

But I've had a couple of teenagers and seen what happens when society feels the need to teach them a lesson. I think my analogy is spot on.

I've got a teenager too. And I would be embarrassed if society felt the need to teach him a lesson. I would take it as a hint that I missed something while rearing him.

I've got a teenager too. And I would be embarrassed if society felt the need to teach him a lesson. I would take it as a hint that I missed something while rearing him.

Well if you are the one teaching him lessons, we are in a world of trouble...

Well if you are the one teaching him lessons, we are in a world of trouble...

Odd, I was thinking the same thing a little while ago. :)

*** This has been a light hearted exchange of ribs. No permanent emotional damage intended.

*** P.S. "v"

Deleting a one letter found log with no corresponding note in the logbook is showing the logger the same respect that they initiated. Perhaps we should show more respect to those who don't deserve it, or dont do anything to try to gain it? Respect is rarely valued when it is not earned.

The log deletions were a reflex reaction. Perhaps this shows that cachers are evil? :) You are not going to change their behaviour by posting in here anyhow... :)

Deleting a one letter found log with no corresponding note in the logbook is showing the logger the same respect that they initiated. Perhaps we should show more respect to those who don't deserve it, or dont do anything to try to gain it? Respect is rarely valued when it is not earned.

The log deletions were a reflex reaction. Perhaps this shows that cachers are evil? :) You are not going to change their behaviour by posting in here anyhow... :)

I believe a fellow named Will Shakespeare once wrote a story called "Much Ado about Nothing". Methinks he must have followed something like this thread.

Let me take this opportunity to offer belated thanks to a fellow cacher and CO who gently took me under his wing not long ago. Long before I had reached that 50-find landmark, I visited one of his caches and left a rather lengthy (for me) "found it" log-note on line. He took the time to verify that I had NOT signed the on-site log, then e-mailed me not only that I should sign that log, but also exactly how I would find it and put hands on to "make my mark". He continues to be a friend and mentor.

We should have some sympathy if he is just expressing himself poorly. However, he should call nobody a d*****. No excuse for that!

That said, I totally agree with the log deletions. With no explanation in his log (other than "v") on why he is claiming finds combined with no signed log entries, I too would delete the logs.

One part that does puzzle me that if he had indeed found all of those caches, he would know how to write a log entry. I agree with those who think he should at least make an attempt to provide information in the logs, such as, who he went caching with, when the caches were found, and any other pertinent detail that may come to mind. Or maybe, if he is striking out on his own, he should start from scratch and revisit some of the old caches.

I learned a LONG time ago that if you are going to punish someone then it's best if you explain why someone is being punished.

Deleting a cache log is a form of punishment in many circumstances. The way the explanation is made will make a huge difference in the future of the relationship.

Now, having said that.. If this cacher (logger) IS a younger person, this exchange might just encourage the little rascal to become a cache maggot rather than a responsible cacher.

The whole situation, if it's even true, is unfortunate. And not a single participant seems willing to admit that they may have made a mistake. That, by itself, is perhaps the most unfortunate part of this. What lessons are being learned here?

We should have some sympathy if he is just expressing himself poorly. However, he should call nobody a d*****. No excuse for that!

That said, I totally agree with the log deletions. With no explanation in his log (other than "v") on why he is claiming finds combined with no signed log entries, I too would delete the logs.

One part that does puzzle me that if he had indeed found all of those caches, he would know how to write a log entry. I agree with those who think he should at least make an attempt to provide information in the logs, such as, who he went caching with, when the caches were found, and any other pertinent detail that may come to mind. Or maybe, if he is striking out on his own, he should start from scratch and revisit some of the old caches.

I wonder if a single cache owner bothered checking their cache logs to see if this person signed or did they just take the word of whatever informant said it was a bogus log...

And not a single participant seems willing to admit that they may have made a mistake.

How do you know that? The only participant that I am aware of posting in this thread is the OP. We have no idea what any of the other participants feel about the situation.

I think this bolded word above may clarify my statement.

Remember, I mean what I say.

I wonder if a single cache owner bothered checking their cache logs to see if this person signed or did they just take the word of whatever informant said it was a bogus log...

There's no need. He admitted to not having signed the log. I'm pretty sure we can take the logger's word on that.

After the fact.

Again, it SEEMS as though people were deleting his logs BEFORE he admitted to not signing the logsheet personally.

That would be irresponsible. You make a good point though. Recently, a cacher found a bunch of my caches on the same day. I suspected that the finds were bogus due to the way that the log entries were written. However, when I checked the logs, I found that this cacher did indeed sign them. Maybe I'm optimistic since I believe that most cache owners would consult their cache logs prior to deleting finds.

I learned a LONG time ago that if you are going to punish someone then it's best if you explain why someone is being punished.

Deleting a cache log is a form of punishment in many circumstances. The way the explanation is made will make a huge difference in the future of the relationship.

Now, having said that.. If this cacher (logger) IS a younger person, this exchange might just encourage the little rascal to become a cache maggot rather than a responsible cacher.

The whole situation, if it's even true, is unfortunate. And not a single participant seems willing to admit that they may have made a mistake. That, by itself, is perhaps the most unfortunate part of this. What lessons are being learned here?

I had this thought also (that this may turn him into a cache maggot). But should we treat everyone with kid gloves just in case they may turn into a cache maggot?

I had this thought also (that this may turn him into a cache maggot). But should we treat everyone with kid gloves just in case they may turn into a cache maggot?

No but we should treat newly signed up cachers as if they are new and don't know all the rules and traditions and such, rather than smacking them around (metaphorically) each time they make a mistake, no matter how trivial or major the mistake is.

Or should we just start harassing all new cachers?

We should treat all with kindness and have some empathy. We can say the same thing as well with a kind word instead of using a harsh word. This is the way of the Frog.

Edited by Colonial Cats
And not a single participant seems willing to admit that they may have made a mistake.
How do you know that? The only participant that I am aware of posting in this thread is the OP. We have no idea what any of the other participants feel about the situation.
I think this bolded word above may clarify my statement.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

If it seems like that from one person's post, then you are much more intuitive than I am.

I guess we can infer what your position is based on another Oregon cacher's postings (or lack thereof, actually). Cool.

After the fact.

Again, it SEEMS as though people were deleting his logs BEFORE he admitted to not signing the logsheet personally.

Did you read the OP's post? It SEEMS as though at least for the OP that this person was logging some of his caches that are difficult to get to. I believe he mentioned some take close to an hour to do. And this person logged close to 100 finds. I think that's reason enough to suspect something was fishy.

We can go around and around with this. But if you don't think CO's should delete what they feel are bogus logs, then you may want to petition Groundspeak to remove that from the cache maintenance portion of the guidelines.

If you feel that there is no excuse for deleting logs when there is no corresponding log in the physical logbook and no explanation at all from the logger why he is logging, then I can tell you now that you will not be convincing me to see your side.

We should treat all with kindness and have some empathy. We can say the same thing as well with a kind word instead of using a harse word. This is the way of the Frog.

You know, I wouldn't go back to the good 'ole days for anything in the world. I quite enjoy the comforts of the modern world.

However, I am sick of the coddling that everyone has come to expect these days.

While it would be nice if someone emailed the finder first before deleting a find, I see no reason to hold someone's hand and pamper them when they don't have enough time in their day to be equally respectful and post a short 5 to 10 word log explaining what they are up to.

*** Some may find my position harsh, but the world is harsh sometimes. Some of my best life lessons were learned the hard way.

just for the record...when I started reading the first post, I instantly thought..."someone has changed their name, or broken off from a team and is logging old finds" not "Someone's cheating". As if there's any way to cheat in a game with no score.

With an email from a reviewer, someone who can't be bothered to date his finds correctly, someone who can't be bothered to write anything in his log, over 100 finds logged in a day... I'd suspect it is bogus as well.

Would I have nuked that log? I seriously don't know.

Well, my cache was logged with "D" not "V." : ) but by the same noob on the same day. I considered emailing him to let him know that longer logs are generally more appreciated, but never got around to it. Didn't know he'd logged so many on the same day, and all with just one letter, until I started reading this topic.

Never got any reviewer (or any other) email claiming that this cacher's finds were bogus. Never crossed my mind to delete his log, either. Though annoying, it was a log entry. And the cache in question isn't my closest one, so I wasn't going to make a special trip out there just to check the physical log.

Learned my lesson on hasty log deletions. I had two noobs log one of my caches a day apart, both noting that the cache was wet and in need of maintenance. I had just checked the cache a few days earlier and it was fine, and no rain since then. So went out and checked anyway, no signs so deleted the logs. Emailed the noobs to tell them why. One responded with a description of the container and where they'd found it, and I realized (and later went back and confirmed) that they had found the original container that had been reported lost. I couldn't find the original either at that time, so replaced the container.

Emailed the noobs back and apologized for my error, invited them to re-log but neither ever did.

As far as this case goes, I do wish the noob had at least written an explanation in their log as many have pointed out. It would have saved a lot of hard feelings on both sides.

just for the record...when I started reading the first post, I instantly thought..."someone has changed their name, or broken off from a team and is logging old finds" not "Someone's cheating". As if there's any way to cheat in a game with no score.

With an email from a reviewer, someone who can't be bothered to date his finds correctly, someone who can't be bothered to write anything in his log, over 100 finds logged in a day... I'd suspect it is bogus as well.

I wouldn't. I'm one of those that would email first.

But I support the deletions 100%.

When someone logs one of my caches I don't immediately go online to see how many caches they logged that day. If I got a log with a single letter I would, likely, just shrug and go on with my life.

If I got an Email from someone who said the logger was doing bogus logs (which I have in the past) I would send a polite email to the logger asking what is up, as I did before. If the logger responds with an explanation then all is well. If the logger doesn't respond then I will, eventually, go to the cache and see if they signed the logsheet. If they didn't, and I never heard back from my email, I would, then, delete their log in all likelihood.

And that is how I always thought it should be done. Forgive me, for apparantly I sin.

If they had spent some time typing out a unique paragraph or so for each log, I could have some sympathy for them.

Getting upset over a one letter cryptic log deletion with nothing in the logbook? :)

Perhaps they could sue for emotional distress. :D

Perhaps one of you defending him is his mother? :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
If they had spent some time typing out a unique paragraph or so for each log, I could have some sympathy for them.

Getting upset over a one letter cryptic log with nothing in the logbook? :)

Perhaps they could sue for emotional distress. :)

If s/he had spent the time to write up a "Found a while back with <insert caching buddy, I'm starting my own account now>" cut and paste note to use on all the caches, I would have sympathy for him/her.

Keep in mind that we didn;t see an OP from the logger whining about their logs getting deleted, but instead have a whole discussion based on the ramblings of the one doing the deleting...what exactly was the point?? Just to stir up some dirt?? Anyway, it's nice to see how some people have responded, now I have better insight to the kind of people they are.

Oh...wait...let me complain about those people who feel ENTITLED to log their finds any way they like, while at the same moment, I myself feel ENTITLED to a more wordy log from them. I mean really...this whole thing is because the OP feels ENTITLED to a log that they like, rather than one that the logger likes, and then people come in here and degrade the other side for feeling entitled. It really just gets on my nerves when people use a word like entitlement as it it were an insult.

You are not entitled to make me log my finds to any standard that you make up as you go along.

On another note...when did we turn the rule of

"you cannot delete someone's log if they signed the book"

into

"if you didn't sign the book then you have no right to log online"

There is no rule that says that, except in the mind of players who feel entitled to micromanage other people's play in the game.

into

There is no rule that says that, except in the mind of players who feel entitled to micromanage other people's play in the game.

From http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx:

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

That seems pretty specific?

From http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx:

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

That seems pretty specific?

Exactly...that was written to remove the additional logging requirements that some Caches used to have. What that says is that if you sign the book, your log cannot be deleted. It does not say that anything about when a Cache cannot be logged online. When they write a rule that says "Caches cannot be logged online if the log has not been signed" then there will be a point. People who want to micromanage the way other people play have turned that rule on it's head in order to justify their sense of entitlement to delete people's logs online.

The cache owner (poster of this thread) seems to be quite rude and mean-spirited in this exchange. The guy who was logging the caches may not have acted in the nicest or most polite way, but it's much easier to let go and not make such a big deal out of it. The logger has a reasonable explanation, and it's not like the presence of his logs detracts from the owners enjoyment of the sport of geocaching, so why be so bothered?

into

Who said "if you didn't sign the book then you have no right to log online"?

I said the only guarantee that a log will stand is if your signature is in the logbook. A lot of people log finds when their name is not in the physical logbooks. Most (I making an assumption here as I have no proof) cache owners will let the log stand as long as it makes sense. You know, like when someone actually explains that they found the cache earlier as a team or with a friend and now they are creating their own account.

There's a difference between no guarantee your log will stand and having no right to log online.

Exactly...that was written to remove the additional logging requirements that some Caches used to have. What that says is that if you sign the book, your log cannot be deleted. It does not say that anything about when a Cache cannot be logged online. When they write a rule that says "Caches cannot be logged online if the log has not been signed" then there will be a point. People who want to micromanage the way other people play have turned that rule on it's head in order to justify their sense of entitlement to delete people's logs online.

This is why lawyers make so much money and why you have to agree to 10 pages of crap whenever you buy something or sign up for a service.

The cache maintenance section of the guidelines tells cache owners to remove bogus logs. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to remove that portion of the guidelines since cacher's doing what they are told they are supposed to do is now considered micro management.

You're not even arguing about the lack of communication. You are actually saying that deletion of the bogus logs was micro management. I think you should petition Groundspeak to change those pesky guidelines.

I don't know why they don't toss the guidelines out completely.

After all, this is supposed to be fun. There shouldn't be ANY rules, right? The world would run smoother if we tossed out rules and just let everyone do whatever they want, right?

We should treat all with kindness and have some empathy. We can say the same thing as well with a kind word instead of using a harse word. This is the way of the Frog.

You know, I wouldn't go back to the good 'ole days for anything in the world. I quite enjoy the comforts of the modern world.

While it would be nice if someone emailed the finder first before deleting a find, I see no reason to hold someone's hand and pamper them when they don't have enough time in their day to be equally respectful and post a short 5 to 10 word log explaining what they are up to.

*** Some may find my position harsh, but the world is harsh sometimes. Some of my best life lessons were learned the hard way.

you are wrong geobain, can't you see that yet?

the appropriate response is "here little johnny, are you new to geocaching? i'm your friendly neighborhood geocacher and i'm willing to help you out. here... have a cookie... and some milk... oh, and a gold medal for trying geocaching..."

bend over and kiss their butts... coddle.... rinse... repeat.

the appropriate response is "here little johnny, are you new to geocaching? i'm your friendly neighborhood geocacher and i'm willing to help you out. ..."

Actually, that would be an appropriate response. I can't say whether I would have just ignored it altogether or if I would have contacted him and tried to help him out. I'm pretty sure I would not have deleted the log, since I haven't in the past and I usually wind up inviting new cachers to our regular meetings.

But deleting the logs was just as appropriate.

In the real world you generally get what you give.

(of course, that also means if you respond like redhedmary did that you'll probably sleep better at night and have no need for blood pressure medication)

*** P.S. Didn't I tell you to get off my lawn???