Garmin Venture - good 1st time GPS?

Is it a Venture or Venture HC? If it's a Venture forget it. Old, discontinued unit. I only mention it because I sometimes see discontinued units still being sold, often at a premium price.

The Venture HC is a good starter unit, but I recommend stepping up a notch to the Legend HCX. That way you might not be looking to upgrade in 6 months.

I know it already got ordered, but here's another vote for the Venture HC. The only things I would change about mine are the color (bright yellow, but you can get them in green) and the lack of expandable memory. It does have a bunch of good features like a high-sensitivity chipset, WAAS, and a color display. If you leave the backlight off, batteries last for ages.

I have the Venture HC, and I got the case as well. Definitely worth it. After 1 year of hard use, without a screen protector, there's not a single scratch on the LCD.

I've switched to an Oregon 6 months ago. Paperless is fantastic. Before the Oregon, I would need to carry the Palm Vx. Not as integrated, not as convenient. I've only used my Venture HC once since getting the Oregon, and that was because my daughter was caching with me and wanted to hold her own handheld.