Unresponsive Cache Owners

If this is covered elsewhere, please redirect me to that post, I am new to the forums.

What is the generally accepted time frame a low difficulty cache is DNF by multiple cachers before the cache owner should look into whether or not the cache is still there? What can you do if the cache owner is unresponsive, or hasn't logged into geocaching.com in quite a while?

DNFs are annoying...

Steak'n'Eggs

I'm dealing with a multicache now where the owner, who's a very active cacher with 2500 finds, wont respond to my emails. I'm pretty sure the coordinates I have are correct, but the cache hasnt been found this year and on top of that the coordinates point to a trash can (which fits the hint, "trash") that's next to a bench that's used to distribute drugs. I don't want to stick my hands wildly into the trash can to see if I can find a small nano in there, especially when that's the case. It seriosuely makes me want to strangle the cache owner that he doesn't bother responding to emails like that when there's a serious issue like this

If this is covered elsewhere, please redirect me to that post, I am new to the forums.

What is the generally accepted time frame a low difficulty cache is DNF by multiple cachers before the cache owner should look into whether or not the cache is still there? What can you do if the cache owner is unresponsive, or hasn't logged into geocaching.com in quite a while?

DNFs are annoying...

Steak'n'Eggs

Define 'quite a while'?? How many DNFs? Over what period of time?

Life happens - even to Geocachers. There really is no hard and fast rule here but generally a few DNFs over the course of a month or more and a failure to respond to 2 or more emails over the course of another month or two is plenty of time for some kind of response. I'd either ignore the cache or if I felt real stongly about it - file a NA (needs archived) log on it - noting the issue.

Life happens - even to Geocachers. There really is no hard and fast rule here but generally a few DNFs over the course of a month or more and a failure to respond to 2 or more emails over the course of another month or two is plenty of time for some kind of response. I'd either ignore the cache or if I felt real stongly about it - file a NA (needs archived) log on it - noting the issue.

Let's say 6 DNFs by experienced cachers (250+ finds) over the course of 4 months with a difficulty of 1-2 and 2 emails over the course of 2 weeks but the user hasn't logged onto the site since December... guessing that qualifies? :grin:

Let's say 6 DNFs by experienced cachers (250+ finds) over the course of 4 months with a difficulty of 1-2 and 2 emails over the course of 2 weeks but the user hasn't logged onto the site since December... guessing that qualifies? :grin:

I'd give them more like 4 or 5 weeks to respond to the emails.

But it does sound like a good candidate for an NA log.

I posted my first ever NA log last week. It's a difficulty 1.5, the last Find log was posted in March 2008. Nine DNF's posted since then, three of them by cachers with thousands of finds. One DNF mentions that he emailed the owner but got no response.

The same day I posted my NA log, the owner posted a note saying that he checked on it in January. I wanted to ask "what year?" but I know better than to turn a cache page into a forum.

I'd be more likely to tell you exactly where to look than to make a follow up visit myself.

But given these stats I wouldn't hesitate to post a NA after looking for it and posting my DNF either.

Ya, I agree with this. Depending on the cache, I'd probably tell you where to look too. If it's right near me, I might go look, but otherwise a very detailed description of it's location would probably work for me.

Log the NA, it'll get checked on or it'll get archived. Problem solved either way.

I'd be more likely to tell you exactly where to look than to make a follow up visit myself.

But given these stats I wouldn't hesitate to post a NA after looking for it and posting my DNF either.

Ya, I agree with this. Depending on the cache, I'd probably tell you where to look too. If it's right near me, I might go look, but otherwise a very detailed description of it's location would probably work for me.

Log the NA, it'll get checked on or it'll get archived. Problem solved either way.

Or the owner will post a note saying he checked the cache and all is fine, all from the comfort of his armchair. Which pretty much checkmates the NA log.

DNFs are annoying...

Steak'n'Eggs

My suggestion is to simply forget this issue, and move along to another cache.

Thats one of my pet peeves, owners that don't write back!

if its a 2.5/2.5 or less, gone 3 or more months without a find, it goes on ignore.

So this person hasn't logged in since December but jholly suggests that they will log in to lie about the status of a cache to keep it current? I realize cachers who have been playing for a long time have seen just about everything but... really?

It sounds like life interfered with them playing the game and they are unable to respond to the needs of a hide. Archiving would be appropriate and I seriously doubt the cache owner will bother to log in just to lie. If anything, the cache owner might take the time to go check on the cache and temporarily disable or outright archive on their own if all they need is that kick in the butt. Reviewers will tell cache owners to contact them if they replace the cache to reverse the archive so the CO might not do anything until then. On the other hand, they might not even be checking email. Either way, when someone doesn't log in to the website for six months, any reasonable person will accept what comes with that. The game must go on.

Edited by Proud Soccer Mom