What do I do now...?

dementedtribe

I researched the three churches in our valley as possible cache locations. I received permission, I thought, for all 3. So, I named my series of three and included in the description that there would be 3 church sites. When I was talking to the property owners of cache #2 about 2 weeks later, they told me they had changed their minds about having a cache on the property. They felt it would encourage more than just geocachers to be on the property, and they have had problems with vandalism in the past (not that they thought "we" would do any damage). The property owners across the road don't wish to participate either (and they own literally a square mile of land). I learned that virtual caches aren't being done any more, so that option is out. I played with the numbers on the sign, to add them to the coords and lead them to a new site (like a multi we have found). That didn't work out too well... if I added numbers, the new site was right in the middle of a railroad track or still too close to it to meet the requirements. If I subtracted numbers, I was still on the properties where permission was denied.

Should (or can) I edit my cache names and/or listings to reflect only 2 sites? Or does anyone have a creative solution to tie the original proposed cache site to a new cache location without changing the cache name? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

I researched the three churches in our valley as possible cache locations. I received permission, I thought, for all 3. So, I named my series of three and included in the description that there would be 3 church sites. When I was talking to the property owners of cache #2 about 2 weeks later, they told me they had changed their minds about having a cache on the property. They felt it would encourage more than just geocachers to be on the property, and they have had problems with vandalism in the past (not that they thought "we" would do any damage). The property owners across the road don't wish to participate either (and they own literally a square mile of land). I learned that virtual caches aren't being done any more, so that option is out. I played with the numbers on the sign, to add them to the coords and lead them to a new site (like a multi we have found). That didn't work out too well... if I added numbers, the new site was right in the middle of a railroad track or still too close to it to meet the requirements. If I subtracted numbers, I was still on the properties where permission was denied.

Should (or can) I edit my cache names and/or listings to reflect only 2 sites? Or does anyone have a creative solution to tie the original proposed cache site to a new cache location without changing the cache name? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

There are many ways of using numbers. You can have your co-ordinates of a final as DD MM.ABC DD MM.DEF, where ABCDEF are the numbers that you need to get off the signs. For instance the sign says the church was started in 1895 then you could interpret it as ABCD and use those. Or you could say the 3 year of the date. Or you could, going back to the 1895 date and say that is WXYZ and that A = Z + 2, etc. Are there words in the sign? Then how many letters in the 4th word = D. Many ways to skin this cat.

The only numbers on the sign are the time of the Sunday service: 11:00am. I'll go back and take a picture of the sign, so I can look at it without sitting in my car at GZ and attracting attention. We do have the coords for the sign in front of the church, so that hurdle is crossed. There is an intersection about 1/4 mile from the church, so that might make a good neutral place for a micro. I'll figure out those coords, then see how I can bend the sign info to fit. We aren't that proficient yet at finding micros or multicaches, so I'm not going to rush into placing this one "just to do it" and make mistakes. Thanks for the ideas!

You could do something with the prime factorization of 1100 (2*2*5*5*11). Or you could have them count certain letters on the sign.

For instance, if the final coordinates are N53 28.492 W92 45.345

and there were 10 A's, 11 C's, and 15 E's on the sign you could do:

N (e*3+c-3) (a+c+7)......

Just random ideas. Without knowing the area, that's all I've got.

The only numbers on the sign are the time of the Sunday service: 11:00am. I'll go back and take a picture of the sign, so I can look at it without sitting in my car at GZ and attracting attention.

If you don't want to attract attention, what about the geocachers who will stop to find the info? Won't they attract attention?

The only numbers on the sign are the time of the Sunday service: 11:00am. I'll go back and take a picture of the sign, so I can look at it without sitting in my car at GZ and attracting attention. We do have the coords for the sign in front of the church, so that hurdle is crossed. There is an intersection about 1/4 mile from the church, so that might make a good neutral place for a micro. I'll figure out those coords, then see how I can bend the sign info to fit. We aren't that proficient yet at finding micros or multicaches, so I'm not going to rush into placing this one "just to do it" and make mistakes. Thanks for the ideas!

Here is an easy way to do it.

Tell the searcher to go to the posted coordinates and read the sign.

If it says "Sunday Service 11:00" then go to xxxxxxxxxx (the correct coordinates)

If it says "No parking here to corner" go to xxxxxxxx (nearby wrong coordinates)

If it says "XXXX Church circa 1878" go to xxxxxxxx (nearby wrong coordinates)

If it says "Handicap parking" go to xxxxxxxxx (nearby wrong coordinates)

If the possible signs all sound plausible it could work.

Edited by briansnat

If you don't want to attract attention, what about the geocachers who will stop to find the info? Won't they attract attention?

Since my math skills aren't the quickest, I could be there for hours! LOL Hopefully, the cachers will be quicker than that!

The sign is painted, so the numbers won't change.

"Keeping in mind Prime Suspect's advice, another easy way would just be simple math... add or subtract 1100 (that would actually be 1.100) to/from the coordinates. Ex: 39 06.000 would become 39 07.100"

As I said, simple math would put the cache on the railroad track or still on private property without permission. So being creative is a must! I think I have it figured out, now. Thanks to all of you for your help!

"Keeping in mind Prime Suspect's advice, another easy way would just be simple math... add or subtract 1100 (that would actually be 1.100) to/from the coordinates. Ex: 39 06.000 would become 39 07.100"

As I said, simple math would put the cache on the railroad track or still on private property without permission.

That makes no sense. You can use "simple math" to put the coordinates ANYWHERE. All you have to do is adjust the numbers that you add or subtract.

notrocketscience1533013.png

if its a church and they wont give permission to place a cache there, why dont you use all three but rather than the a cache use the waypoint as Information to gather - (puzzle piece icon)

and the final location outside the church yard.

the numbers could be taken from anything, graves, signs, opening hours etc.

The people that dont want the cache there cannot stop people wandering around the churchyard if is open access, even if there geocaching, as long as there is no physical object on the property you have furfilled there decision to to have one placed there (also the gather information doesnt conflict with the .1 rule) as there is no physical part withing the distance only information to gather that is already there