Logging Really Tough Ones

K618

Benchmark KX2072 is an antentenna tower on top to the Cathedral of Learning, a 42 story gothic structure in Pittsburgh. Ther really isn't a good way to get out on the roof to accurately log the location of this benchmark.

So, I stood at each of the four entrances and set waypoints. Doing some math, I was able to "draw an X" to mark the center point of the building, where the tower stood over 550 feet above.

Pretty clever, huh?

Because this sport places a premium on accurate coordinates, I would at least make the attempt to come up with some GPS coordinates. If the tower is surrounded by a fence (as they often are) logging the corners of the fence can give you the central coordinates. Saying "5 paces north of these coordinates, over the chain link fence and past the really big, angry dog" is another way to log a benchmark that isn't easily accessable.

This sort of creativity isn't necessary for most. Even for those that you can't actually get to, if you can see it then you can log it.

Here is an example of a benchmark that we geocachers should not try to log.

Since it is a disk and not the structure itself, the only way to log this one as a "found it" is to see the actual disk itself.

However, one could "post a note" to say that the building is still there and that you stood near the building and perhaps took a picture of it.

This nearby one, on the other hand is fair game to log as "found it" if you see that the church spire is still there. You don't have to climb to the top of the spire, of course, just stand on the ground and take its picture.