TB etiquette - Just dump 'em fast or give 'em mileage

beaumodr

Well my wife and I are new at this and don't know what the best etiquette for moving travel bugs is. We don't know if we should just move them to new caches quickly or try to move them some distance. We are going on vaca. in a few weeks and could move them some distance but we would have had one of the TB's almost a month by then.

Whats every generally do?

It is OK to hold a traveler for a period of time. HOWEVER, it is most proper to contact the owner before the hold. They just might prefer it not held, but released. Many will like it to go on vacation with you. Most all owners appreciate the "ask before do" question. :)

The most important movement for a traveler is towards its' goal, should it have one. If you cannot help it, release it quickly.

Well my wife and I are new at this and don't know what the best etiquette for moving travel bugs is. We don't know if we should just move them to new caches quickly or try to move them some distance. We are going on vaca. in a few weeks and could move them some distance but we would have had one of the TB's almost a month by then.

Whats every generally do?

Give the bug the best ride you can offer and if that's means .10 of a mile so be it. Some movement is always better than none. Tell stories, take pictures, have fun.

If you want to hang on it for over a month check with the owner. Most are pretty cool about it if they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I wouldn't hold it over two weeks unless you contact the owner and they okay it. Consider this:

You could get a bug and hold it a month for 500 miles if the owner is cool with it. You could also just drop within a day or two .1 miles away. The day you drop it someone could pick it up and 2 days later take it 800 miles away. You never know what will happen when it is being moved. When it's being held on to, there's nothing happening.

I'd rather someone drop my TB .1 mile away than hold on to it for a month to take it on vacation.

When I know I'm going on vacation, I'll just move TB's as I typically do, but then about a week or 2 before I leave I start grabbing all the bugs I see and if they are going the way I'm going then I take them on vacation. If they aren't, I'll drop them back off somewhere before I leave.

Please read the bug's page and find out what its goal is before you do anything.

I recently had a new coin disappear after a newbie cacher took it and without reading the coin's page, moved the same day to a park with a cache that has been muggled numerous times. He didn't even log the traveler on-line. I was finally able to track him down and he explained to me what happened and even though he felt bad, he obviously didn't know how to handle trackables yet. When he went back to get the coin it was of course long gone and I haven't heard from it since. :)

Had he read my coin's page he would have seen that we prefer our travelers to be moved to harder caches, like puzzle caches or multi-caches (as we've found thieves don't like to work too hard to steal), and he wouldn't have taken it to a cache that is routinely muggled because it is in a very popular park and is an easy cache that isn't hidden very well.

Please read the TB's page before you decide to anything with regard to moving it. Some have very specific goals and sending them in the wrong direction can be frustrating for the TB's owner.

Take some time to learn as much as you can about travelers. There are lots of helpful links on this board.

Have fun out there! :)

The problem with reading the page before doing anything is that you don't necessarily have access to that info while standing at a cache since the bugs are not always logged correctly. I was in at least one this weekend with a bug that wasn't supposed to be there but was. I had another one that had a plethora of bugs that weren't supposed to be there but were. Those without attached goals I have to guess on as I don't carry a lap top with me everywhere to look these things up with. So I end up grabbing them and then hoping that I can help them reach a goal.

I'll usually get them home and look them up and redistribute as able but chances are I'm not going to trek back up to a difficult in terrain cache to put a travler back based on what I find online. I'll put it in the next cache that I go to and hope it gets back on track.

The problem with reading the page before doing anything is that you don't necessarily have access to that info while standing at a cache since the bugs are not always logged correctly. I was in at least one this weekend with a bug that wasn't supposed to be there but was. I had another one that had a plethora of bugs that weren't supposed to be there but were. Those without attached goals I have to guess on as I don't carry a lap top with me everywhere to look these things up with. So I end up grabbing them and then hoping that I can help them reach a goal.

I'll usually get them home and look them up and redistribute as able but chances are I'm not going to trek back up to a difficult in terrain cache to put a travler back based on what I find online. I'll put it in the next cache that I go to and hope it gets back on track.

As long as you aren't picking up a bug and traveling some 300 miles away before looking up the mission/goal chances are pretty good that you won't cause any problems by simply moving it to another cache.

If anything I move them to the cache behind my house. Easy to get to and a haven for tourists looking for Dairy Queen. I'm a firm believer that if you want your travel bug in specific spots or types of caches you need to include that information with your travel bug.

Yes indeed. I always attach a buddy tag with a basic description of the goal and the specific request for the would-be grabber to visit the bug's page for further instructions on replacing it. I also add the link to the Trackable section of this site. :laughing:

Apparently some people get too excited to read it sometimes though. :anicute:

Edited by ThePetersTrio