etrex Vista HCx-more info with Premium Membership?

muncle56

I'm upgrading to the Premium Membership soon. Will my Garmin etrex Vista HCx be able to show more info from the cache page when I download the GPX files? I'd like to see size, difficulty, description, hints, logs etc. on my GPSr. Is it possible with this unit or do I have to get a "paperless" unit?

I'm upgrading to the Premium Membership soon. Will my Garmin etrex Vista HCx be able to show more info from the cache page when I download the GPX files? I'd like to see size, difficulty, description, hints, logs etc. on my GPSr. Is it possible with this unit or do I have to get a "paperless" unit?

Unfortunately, no. The downside is that to go paperless, you'll have to use another device (a smart phone or iTouch/iPhone, etc). The good news is the Vista HCx is awesome for geocaching. It has the reliability of the full feature units without the heavy price tags.

Yes it is possible to load most of the cache page to your unit. GSAK has a macro that will do it for you. It loads it as a POI so that it is only limited by memory. Here is a link to the macro:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry81818

I use this macro on my Vista HCx and it works great.

ayep.

I just printed out the GSAK instructions for downloading caches to HCX. According to their site info this is no longer possible and they suggest HCX users that want to go paperless to use ProsperoDK. We have been trying to use this for over a week and still haven't figured how to do it.

Edited by rpkeenan

Yes it is possible to load most of the cache page to your unit. GSAK has a macro that will do it for you. It loads it as a POI so that it is only limited by memory. Here is a link to the macro:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry81818

I use this macro on my Vista HCx and it works great.

ayep.

I just printed out the GSAK instructions for downloading caches to HCX. According to their site info this is no longer possible and they suggest HCX users that want to go paperless to use ProsperoDK. We have been trying to use this for over a week and still haven't figured how to do it.

You can still use the old macro. It is just no longer being updated. Have you tried to use the old macro to upload caches to your unit?

My nearest cache, on my Vista HCx, using GSAK:

MorrisCo Un/Mi 2/1.5

GC23EZY

NFNF Pl:1/29/2010 Lf:3/27/2010 Harry Dolphin

Go to Custom POI, you get:

Morris Canal Boat Basin - Dover Hint

See the light. About eye level.

It gives you size, type, difficulty, hints. Plus date hidden, last found. Whether the last two logs were F, NF...

It does not give you the full page description or logs. For that I use the Palm

My nearest cache, on my Vista HCx, using GSAK:

MorrisCo Un/Mi 2/1.5

GC23EZY

NFNF Pl:1/29/2010 Lf:3/27/2010 Harry Dolphin

Go to Custom POI, you get:

Morris Canal Boat Basin - Dover Hint

See the light. About eye level.

It gives you size, type, difficulty, hints. Plus date hidden, last found. Whether the last two logs were F, NF...

It does not give you the full page description or logs. For that I use the Palm

With the macro link I posted, it also gives the description and the past logs.

I've taken about 3 stabs at it now and still haven't had any luck. I've even checked the GSAK Forums-there are some detailed instructions but I still can't get it to work. I can upload the basic cache info (#, name, coords) but I can't get the macro to work and download the details. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm using CacheMate to upload all the cache info onto my ipod-that was easy as pie. Anything comparable for the Vista so I don't have to carry around two gadgets?

I've taken about 3 stabs at it now and still haven't had any luck. I've even checked the GSAK Forums-there are some detailed instructions but I still can't get it to work. I can upload the basic cache info (#, name, coords) but I can't get the macro to work and download the details. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm using CacheMate to upload all the cache info onto my ipod-that was easy as pie. Anything comparable for the Vista so I don't have to carry around two gadgets?

I also was never able to get this to work and use either a PDA or my iPhone to store all the paperless info. I don't like carrying two pieces of equipment but it works very well. I usually let one of my daughters look up the info in the PDA or iPhone.

Here are the steps to load the cache info as POIs:

Ensure you download and install the 60 CsX macro to GSAK

Upload the pocket query to GSAK and then double click the "not found" caches so that it only shows those caches

Run the macro. Look at the advanced options so that you know the location of where it saves the file to. The macro has many options so you will have to experiment to see what you like best.

Ensure your unit is connected to the computer. Run the Garmin POI loader and navigate to the location of the file created by the macro (previous step).

POIs should have been sent to the unit.

Please bear with me here. I followed the steps outlined. Tried to download 68 caches from GSAK onto my GPSr. Everything seemed to be going well. In the end, Poi Loader said "congratulations-you've added 1170 Poi's to your device. Don't know where the 1170 came from but in any case I couldn't find ANY of them.

The only Poi's I see on my device are those from the mapping software.

Please bear with me here. I followed the steps outlined. Tried to download 68 caches from GSAK onto my GPSr. Everything seemed to be going well. In the end, Poi Loader said "congratulations-you've added 1170 Poi's to your device. Don't know where the 1170 came from but in any case I couldn't find ANY of them.

The only Poi's I see on my device are those from the mapping software.

The macro has the ability to load multiple POIs per cache listing which allows you to view most of the cache page. This is the reason why you might see more POIs than caches.

OK, I found the custom POI's and I have a lot more info that I used to. It's giving me cache name,#, coords. size, difficulty,terrain, when it was placed, last found and hint. Now all I need is the description and some logs and I'll be all set. How do I get those?

OK, I found the custom POI's and I have a lot more info that I used to. It's giving me cache name,#, coords. size, difficulty,terrain, when it was placed, last found and hint. Now all I need is the description and some logs and I'll be all set. How do I get those?

When you run the macro you will have the option to put a check in the box next to the short description, long description, and past logs.