Trouble finding micro caches in parking lots

wefamily

We are new to geocaching and have tried to find several caches in store parking lots. I am stumped. These are usually on little islands in the lot that have a pole in the middle and a bush on either side. Some of the people that find them say how easy it was if you "know this kind of cache." We look in and around the plants, mulch, and pole. PLEASE HELP!

Once you've done one, the mystery is solved. Would it help to know these are often called lamp skirt micros?

Also , Do they provide Hints ? most of the park and grab will be on spots like : skirts , metal sign , guard

rail, trash cans, and things like that....but take your time to look for other "stuff " like rocks , screws , matal boxes on poles etc... that's my 2 cents...

I found 100 caches in 3 1/2 months before I came across one of the skirts. Except the first one I found was inside a broken skirt. So it wasn't for another couple weeks before someone made me aware that the skirt caches existed - I didn't realize the ones that weren't broken could lift up! :):P:D:) I have since found 4 of them, 2 of which were previous DNFs.

There are also the occasional fake sprinkler head but be VERY careful you've really found a cache and not a real sprinkler that happens to be at/near Ground Zero! :)

Ok, I am going to show some compassion, and post a probable "spoiler". Many people are not familiar with the intracies of a lamp post.

Most parking lot poles have a cover on the base to hide the unsightly bolts holding the thing in place. These are called "skirts" Most are two pieces (halves) placed around the pole, and secured to each other. They are usually NOT secured to the base itself. Most are easily "raised" up the pole exposing the bolts, and generally the cache hidden inside them. Be aware some caches are magnetically attached to the skirt and go up with the skirt when you lift it.

Hence the name "skirt lifters". Don't mean to take the fun out of it, but there is nothing worse in my mind than not being able to find a simple LPC, and having to log a DNF for a beginner.

This is more or less the first step to learning the many ways caches are hidden. You will be amazed at the number of things you have to move, lift, turn, climb on, ect. Cachers are a devious bunch!! :P

edit to add- Many cachers grow "bored" with LPC rather quickly. They are good for numbers cachers. The bison tube, on the other hand, is the bane of my existence. Who ever first realized these made a great cache container was an evil, twisted person! :D LPC's are a breeze compared to these tiny, easily camo'd caches. :)

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Thanks to you all...I never thought to lift the skirt in the one that's closest to us. I think the other is mostly a concrete pole. For spite's sake, we are going to go check it out in a few just to get it resolved!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

... there is nothing worse in my mind than not being able to find a simple LPC, and having to log a DNF for a beginner.

I disagree. Logging a DNF isn't a sign of failure, it's a potential learning experience.

I have other issues with LPCs beyond the fact that they're way too common, but hopefully you haven't spoiled the surprise for too many in discovering the joy of LPCs for themselves. For one of my hides my goal was to make an easy find on a cache that is not a traditional hide that hopefully allows beginners to "think outside the ammo box" on the types of hides that they may encounter.

One of the things that I have learned about geocaches over the past few years is that they're not all supposed to be easy.

Evidently you have forgotton how easy it is for new cachers to become discouraged. I would rather help someone by giving them direction than just telling them, go out there and think about it until it comes to you. I don't teach someone to swim by throwing them off the boat in deep water either. :P

I don't think of a DNF as a poor reflection on me, as I have logged plenty of them. I am not trying to make every single cache "easy", I am trying to introduce a new cacher to the joy of finding a cache instead of just looking for one. Both have their merits. As a "potential learning experience" what have they learned if they continue to DNF?? Probably that in their mind, this game sucks.

I apologize to the OP if I have taken the "fun" out of it for you.

No fun taken out...I was getting REALLY frustrated and kept revisiting the same problems ones trying to figure it out. I would have NEVER tried to look there unless you told me. We were close to not looking for these anymore.

These kind of caches are good for me with the kiddos. I can park next to it, and they can get out and find it on their own. They fuel their fire.

Truly, thank you for helping! We went today and added one to our "found" list!

No fun taken out...I was getting REALLY frustrated and kept revisiting the same problems ones trying to figure it out. I would have NEVER tried to look there unless you told me. We were close to not looking for these anymore.

These kind of caches are good for me with the kiddos. I can park next to it, and they can get out and find it on their own. They fuel their fire.

Happy to learn of your find!!! I am not so far away from our first find, that I have forgotten the thrill of it. Even a LPC can bring some joy to someone!! As you work your way up the difficulty ladder I hope you keep finding them, and I hope they all give you the same thrill the first one did! Seemed to us that once you got that first one, it made us feel we were "part of the game" instead of "wanna-be's"!! Good luck!!!

Happy to learn of your find!!! I am not so far away from our first find, that I have forgotten the thrill of it. Even a LPC can bring some joy to someone!! As you work your way up the difficulty ladder I hope you keep finding them, and I hope they all give you the same thrill the first one did! Seemed to us that once you got that first one, it made us feel we were "part of the game" instead of "wanna-be's"!! Good luck!!!

Just don't mention anything about unnatural piles of sticks and rocks. All of the mystery could wash away in an instant. :D

Enjoy it while it lasts! My kids used to be like that. :wacko: I've learned if you drive close enough sometimes you can stay in the car. That sounds bad, doesn't it? :D

It was by luck that my son figured out one of the microcaches in our area. I knew it had to be around there, but was afraid to stick my hand inside - bugs / animals / wires and it was the 10 year old who said, "DUH! It's right here!" and lifted the skirt to show me the cache. :)