How far can you zoom in on PN-40 Aerials?

I'm thinking of buying a pn-40 in the near future, and one of the biggest selling points for me is the ability to have aerial maps on it. My question is, though, how far can you zoom in on the aerial maps? Can any pn-40/30 owners out there tell me what the scale is when you zoom in the farthest (100ft per inch, for example)? (Screenshots would be even better!).

Thanks!

Here's 3 screenshots from 320 ft to 80 ft. You'll notice the image starts to become pixilated at 80 ft so I don't bother to cut my imagery for the PN any closer than that. You'll also see that I have 100K Topo layered over the imagery. Be aware however, this is the standard resolution imagery and not the Hi-Res imagery available in some areas. I don't have that in the KC area so hopefully some others can provide you those screenshots.

4569661192_7bae558024_o.jpg4569661158_98b7ec8448_o.jpg4569023569_c54948bae4_o.jpg

Edited by Pax42

With the purchase of a PN you'll get a card that provides about $40 dollars worth of downloads but that can go pretty quick. The annual subscription for "all you can handle" downloads is $30 dollars. That includes color aerial, B&W aerial, satellite, NOAA charts, and USGS 1:24 Topo scanned maps. Once you download it, it's yours to keep and it can be used on other PNs. So if you decide you want a new PN-60 when they come out, all your downloads can be added to it as well.

If you can let me know how to do screen shots with the pn-40, I can do some of the Sacramento area. They have them here where I live.

Thanks

edited because I guess typed something other than shots on my iPhone by accident

Edited by ao318

If you can let me know how to do screen shots with the pn-40, I can do some of the Sacramento area. They have them here where I live.

Thanks

edited because I guess typed something other than shots on my iPhone by accident

You can either take out the sd card and plug it into a reader or connect the PN to the PC and go to "Connect To SD Card" mode and create a folder called "Screenshots". Once that folder is on the SD card, all you have to do is briefly hit the power button when you're on the screen you want. You'll here an extra tone besides the normal power down tone meaning the screen was saved to the folder. Just hit "quit" if you don't want to actually power down.

Here's 3 screenshots from 320 ft to 80 ft. You'll notice the image starts to become pixilated at 80 ft so I don't bother to cut my imagery for the PN any closer than that. You'll also see that I have 100K Topo layered over the imagery. Be aware however, this is the standard resolution imagery and not the Hi-Res imagery available in some areas. I don't have that in the KC area so hopefully some others can provide you those screenshots.

4569661192_7bae558024_o.jpg4569661158_98b7ec8448_o.jpg4569023569_c54948bae4_o.jpg

Cool, so are those the highest quality (highest zoom level)? And then you are manually zooming in on them on your pn-40 - hence the pixelation (is that a word?)? Also, would you mind giving me the rough lat/long coords of those photos because I'd love to look at them on google maps to kind of get an idea of how big those trees and other things are.

Thanks for the quick reply, the more I learn about the pn-40 the more I love it!

The lat/long are shown in the screen shots. As I said, these images are the standard Color DOQQ imagery. Delorme also has USGS Hi-Res 133 city imagery available for a number of cities including LA which appears to be your area from your profile. I don't have samples of that on my PN right now but I think others may chime in soon showing you that. I cut the imagery to appear between certain ranges on the PN. In this case 640 ft to 80 ft. Any farther out or closer in is not of much value with the color DOQQ. Because I have the imagery cut to a maximum zoom of 80 ft, if I zoom in any closer on the PN, the imagery will dissappear.

Edited by Pax42

Check the example here of the picture of the baseball city for the Hi-Res city.

http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AE-7985-201-...8014&sr=8-1

Also, at 40' zoom it is about the same as the 80' zoom above.

I'm down in Orange County and I use it exclusively for local caching.

However, where it is not available, I still prefer to use the somewhat lower resolution CDOQQs for caching out of town and in the back country.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Check the example here of the picture of the baseball city for the Hi-Res city.

Also, at 40' zoom it is about the same as the 80' zoom above.

I'm down in Orange County and I use it exclusively for local caching.

However, where it is not available, I still prefer to use the somewhat lower resolution CDOQQs for caching out of town and in the back country.

I don't see any photos or links.

Ok, here are some Hi-res images of Marina Del Rey I just downloaded. This time I cut the imagery to 40ft which is the closest zoom you can go with aerial imagery. I've got the cursor on a roof or deck of some kind of structure. Perhaps you LA folks know exactly what it is.

4570773379_2ff9392c7e_o.jpg4570773405_250e8905a4_o.jpg4571409684_16eb27e512_o.jpg4571409742_38acbf0a93_o.jpg

Edit to add: After checking the same imagery on Google Earth I see the spot I have the cursor on is in fact level ground but I still have no idea what it is.

Edited by Pax42