DeLorme PN-40

So I'm thinking about grabbing one of these.

A few questions I can't seem to find the answer to. Can you swap out GPX files? From what I can see it only holds 1,000 caches? (Yikes! -That's worse than my Oregon!) One of the flaws of my Oregon is the inability to swap out GPX files. I hate it! When I cache with my kids we discard all micros. It makes it so much easier to just load the appropriate PQ. (GSAK helps.) This makes little sense if you plan on traveling for a lengthy trip too. What the heck is Garmin thinking?

You can only load multiple caches at once if you buy their program? Is the program for only one computer? Do you have to buy one for each computer you use? I found the wiki confusing. Can I just use GSAK to load multiple caches and avoid the buying of Cache Register?

Can you sort caches on the unit itself? Say I don't want to find any micros or I don't want to see any multi-caches.

Does anyone know of a video where I can see the unit in use for geocaching. I am wondering how the screens work. I can't seem to find one.

Thanks! :anibad:

So I'm thinking about grabbing one of these.

A few questions I can't seem to find the answer to. Can you swap out GPX files? From what I can see it only holds 1,000 caches? (Yikes! -That's worse than my Oregon!) One of the flaws of my Oregon is the inability to swap out GPX files. I hate it! When I cache with my kids we discard all micros. It makes it so much easier to just load the appropriate PQ. (GSAK helps.) This makes little sense if you plan on traveling for a lengthy trip too. What the heck is Garmin thinking?

You can only load multiple caches at once if you buy their program? Is the program for only one computer? Do you have to buy one for each computer you use? I found the wiki confusing. Can I just use GSAK to load multiple caches and avoid the buying of Cache Register?

Can you sort caches on the unit itself? Say I don't want to find any micros or I don't want to see any multi-caches.

Does anyone know of a video where I can see the unit in use for geocaching. I am wondering how the screens work. I can't seem to find one.

Thanks! :anibad:

When I bought my PN-40, I also received a copy of Topo USA as part of the bundle. If you drop the GPX file into it, then you can load the PN-40 from it. I do it all of the time and never have to run the file through any other program. You can drop more than one GPX into Topo and then just do one transfer to the GPS.

Edited by WStemple

You can load PQs to the 40 using GSAK, the $10 Cache Register widget download from Delorme, or the Topo software that comes in the box with the 40.

Using firmware version 2.7, you can load multiple GPX files to the SD card. Version 2.7 is a little clunky because it was not optimized with geocaching in mind but 2.8 promises to correct that.

Copy that on the nanos. Would it surprise you if this part of my team also disdained nanos?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=997725

Consequently, I have two PQs for my area, one for all sizes and one for small and up.

I have installed the FW 2.7 with which I can load the results of any number of PQs, each having a unique name.

Using Topo 8, as mentioned above, I Export the results of the several PQs to the SD card as an individual file for each.

Consequently, when I go out with the kids, I can open up the file with the larger caches and I don't see the micros and nanos.

Out by myself, or other adults, I open up the file from the other PQ with all the caches, nano to large.

This all sounds great. What would be greater is a $50 rebate that would work with the $235 Amazon price. (Keep dreaming!)

Besides our 2 car GPSr units I have 7 handhelds. My wife quite reasonably asks why I want another one! :anibad: I thought the Oregon would be the best of the best- the pinnacle of handhelds. Yeah, right.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on that... Those of you that have them, do you like it? I see the most recent reviews on the geocaching site seem to be very positive.

I really like my PN-40. It reminds me a little of my 60CSX and that's why I went with it. I have not done the 2.7 firmware update because I do not need more than 1000 caches in my unit at a time. I'm a pretty slow geocacher and usually get side tracked when I'm out and about and will usually just end up hiking the trails.

I am still learning the ins and outs of the Topo software, I was really used to mapsource. The Topo has a lot of help windows and tutorials that I just follow along with and learn something new every day.

This all sounds great. What would be greater is a $50 rebate that would work with the $235 Amazon price. (Keep dreaming!)

Besides our 2 car GPSr units I have 7 handhelds. My wife quite reasonably asks why I want another one! :anibad: I thought the Oregon would be the best of the best- the pinnacle of handhelds. Yeah, right.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on that... Those of you that have them, do you like it? I see the most recent reviews on the geocaching site seem to be very positive.

Since you already have so many GPSrs to use for now, you may want to wait and check out the PN-60/60w when it comes out. Expected release date is somtime in June. It promises a number of enhancements and improvements over the 40. Here's some more info on it: PN-60/60w

Try and hook up with a local that uses it to see how they like it and works. That's what I did before I bought mine, it really helped with the learning curve. He showed me some quick tips and tricks that would have been taken a little while to learn and probably a lot of questions here and on the Delorme Forums.