Limited Ban on McToys in Santa Clara, CA

I didn't write anything under the picture though, I don't know why you made it appear that I did..

Sorry! It wasn't intentional! :D I always have trouble editing open and close quote commands correctly.

I could I suppose just quote whole posts instead of trying to shorten them, but that just ends up with all of us having to scroll through screenfulls of stuff we've already read.

I expect any lawyer with the desire and wherewithal could get that ban overturned due to its unfair focus on certain food containers with toys but not all of them... unless they ban Cracker Jacks and baseball cards and other food containers with toy inducements in them.

Good Lord, let's not give them any more ideas. The day they take out toys in Cracker Jacks will be the day I hang myself. :D

There haven't been actual toys in Cracker Jack (not "Jacks") for decades.

McDonald's may not make a very good burger, but they make the best darned Big Mac on the planet.

I had a Big Mac, fries and coke every day of my life when I was 15. And got change back from a dollar, so I'm obviously terribly old.

They taste the same to me now, and I'm buying them in England these days.

See what they do to your tastebuds?

I expect any lawyer with the desire and wherewithal could get that ban overturned due to its unfair focus on certain food containers with toys but not all of them... unless they ban Cracker Jacks and baseball cards and other food containers with toy inducements in them.

Good Lord, let's not give them any more ideas. The day they take out toys in Cracker Jacks will be the day I hang myself. :D

I know. Now they have a 'prize' like a temporary tattoo or something. Too bad.

Still, for this topic it's a toy enticement in a container of junk food no different than McToys.

Same goes for gum in baseball cards, at least not in Tops anyway. Then again the gum was intended to entice some one to buy the cards, not the other way around like cracker jack and kids meals.

I bought a box of garbage pal cards about 4 years ago and the first thing I noticed was they didn't have any crappy gum in them, I was kind of bummed.

Same goes for gum in baseball cards, at least not in Tops anyway. Then again the gum was intended to entice some one to buy the cards, not the other way around like cracker jack and kids meals.

I bought a box of garbage pal cards about 4 years ago and the first thing I noticed was they didn't have any crappy gum in them, I was kind of bummed.

The gum in card packs was the worst. You could break a tooth on it. Super Bubble was the best, with Double Bubble and Bazooka in the middle, and card pack gum at the bottom of the barrel.

The gum in card packs was the worst. You could break a tooth on it. Super Bubble was the best, with Double Bubble and Bazooka in the middle, and card pack gum at the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah but I got free gum dude, with my cool stickers. :D

Don't know about you but I would rather my kids buy the cards and get crap gum vs 2 1/2 boxes of Cherry Chans, Alexander the Grapes, Johnny Apple Treats or Now and Laters, wait those are called cherry heads, grape heads, apple heads and Now-N-Laters now.

And they probably couldn't get one piece for what I spent on a box.

Man I just felt the grim reaper whispering my age and I aint that old.

Well at least I know you aint over the hill till ya fell over the cliff and into the casket.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I used to like Big League Chew..lol..Wonder what that was promoting?.."spit"..

Tobacco use! :anibad:

My issue here is not against McToys, but rather, against individual freedoms and business rights. It's a very easy thing to dismiss this idiotic law with "Oh, it's just one county", but should that really matter? If a law is unjust, should we shrug because it doesn't affect us? Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I can't help getting this image of other barking moonbats in positions of authority, salivating over this law, praying that it survives so they can enact similar legislation. (For some reason, the legislator in these mental images all look like Mrs Doubtfire. :anibad: ) I'd love to believe that this thing will die a kwick death the first time it is challenged, but I have to keep telling myself it's in Kalifornia, and they do some pretty strange things over there.

I have not read the bill as worded, so I wonder, did they also ban children's toys in meals of other fast food joints?

I haven't read the actual law, but the news articles I've read about it describe it as a ban on the inclusion of a toy in a kid's meal with over X number of calories*. One article included a Wendy's kid meal with chicken and fruit as an example of a meal that would still have the toy because it was "healthy enough" (my words).

*There may have been other nutritional requirements. My google-fu is in the shop and I can't seem to peg down the article I read.

i liked it too. i also liked candy cigs. i also grew up playing those horribly violent atari 2600 video games and listening to all that heavy metal (and other) music. i have yet to try smokeless tobacco. i actually try to avoid standing next to anyone who is smoking a cig because it bothers my eyes and i want my lungs to be pink when they fry me for the as yet to be committed violent crime. while i don't like the reasoning as i've described above to be applied wholesale, i do think there are some people who are a bit closer to the edge of the cliff and it just doesn't take that much persuasion to get them over the edge. do we really need to protect them from themselves? i thought that was what darwin's law was for... :anibad:

Good Lord, let's not give them any more ideas. The day they take out toys in Cracker Jacks will be the day I hang myself. :ph34r:

Last time I opened one up was in 1986 I believe. I just like knowing if I ever got another box a toy would be waiting for me. But alas, if they stopped that tradition, then I am sad now.

Good Lord, let's not give them any more ideas. The day they take out toys in Cracker Jacks will be the day I hang myself. :ph34r:

Last time I opened one up was in 1986 I believe. I just like knowing if I ever got another box a toy would be waiting for me. But alas, if they stopped that tradition, then I am sad now.

Yup, the advent of successful high-dollar lawsuits every time a baby choked on a toy in a food carton put an end to Cracker Jack toys as we knew them. The 'prize' today is a little paper packet.

Yup, the advent of successful high-dollar lawsuits every time a baby choked on a toy in a food carton put an end to Cracker Jack toys as we knew them. The 'prize' today is a little paper packet.

Ironically I don't think Cracker Jack ever got sued for such a reason, although they did get sued once because a box DIDN'T have a toy in it. Funny. :):):ph34r:

Ironically I don't think Cracker Jack ever got sued for such a reason, although they did get sued once because a box DIDN'T have a toy in it. Funny. :):):ph34r:

I'm no lawyer, so I don't know. I understood that it was part of a wave of package redesigns resulting from such lawsuits, not that the makers of Cracker Jack themselves were sued, but I could easily be wrong.

Headed for a 10th Anniversary Campout Event or I'd take the time to look it up!