Waypoint Conversions...help.

I have a DeLorme PN-30...love the unit...

but I need to reposition one of our caches that had been muggled.

This is the first time I've used my PN-30 to establish a cache, and the coordinates I'm getting aren't stared geocache coordinates: N43'27.4025 W072' 28.3593

Can someone either tell me what these coordinates should be converted to so I can post them at Geocaching.com...or direct me the web site I can go to so I can do the conversions myself.

(I've tried several conversion sites, but my coordinates don't seem to fit those parameters.)

Thanks for the help.

PJ

(of PJ-FredX-Tuck)

It's OK to either round off or to drop the least significant digits and use N43 27.403 W072 28.359

I suggest the OP plug those numbers in to google maps and see that they are where he wants to be. Those coords seem likely to be right because they put you in Brownsville, Vermont, near the New Hampshire border. The OP is from NH. :lol:

The OP seems to have extra digits.

The PN-40 reports coords to 4 decimal places in the minutes. Rounding the last one works fine.

so what?...you can enter them as they are with the 4 decimals and GC will round them

Edited by t4e
The OP seems to have extra digits.

if this was the only problem, then i feel compelled to point towards this article. :lol:

I was merely pointing out to the person I was replying to that the coordinates were not in the standard form. They seemed to have trouble seeing the difference.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very good at math, although I may have just gotten only a high B on my statistics midterm. I feel awful about it.

However, I must be honest and say that I am not very familiar with the workings of GPS. All I know is that I input the numbers and the machine tells me where to go. Satellites are involved somehow. ;) I've never bothered to learn more about it.

I was just trying to be helpful as much as I could.

Sorry this post is somewhat OT.

However, I must be honest and say that I am not very familiar with the workings of GPS. All I know is that I input the numbers and the machine tells me where to go. Satellites are involved somehow. :lol: I've never bothered to learn more about it.

actually you don't need to know anything about how GPS works in order to understand coordinates. ;) longitude and latitude are angular degrees and everyone coming out of school should know how to handle them, including knowing how minutes and seconds work, and how decimal numbers relate to them.

However, I must be honest and say that I am not very familiar with the workings of GPS. All I know is that I input the numbers and the machine tells me where to go. Satellites are involved somehow. :lol: I've never bothered to learn more about it.

actually you don't need to know anything about how GPS works in order to understand coordinates. ;) longitude and latitude are angular degrees and everyone coming out of school should know how to handle them, including knowing how minutes and seconds work, and how decimal numbers relate to them.

I would really, really like it if you would stop saying condescending things to me. I'm not in the mood. I let the first snarky comment pass gracefully but now I'm done.

I am an intelligent woman. I taught myself to read when I was 4. I won the Florida State Spelling Bee in seventh grade. Yes, I was a high school dropout due to depression. I just couldn't get out of bed in the morning to go to school. I worked my butt off as a grocery store cashier to save money for college. I tolerated a lot of incredible rudeness from customers who assumed I was an idiot because I ran a register. Now I've earned a 4.0 in every class I've taken as a full time student for the past two years. I know people were wrong to treat me the way they did, and I never should have bought into their ignorant misconceptions. I will not tolerate being put down anymore.

I see what I get for trying to help people on this forum. Don't bother to reply to me. I won't be back.

One more thing: I'm one of the nicest people you would ever meet. I would literally give my life for anyone, even a stranger. I know that what matters in life is how you treat others--whether you spread joy or tears. I hope someday you will learn that, too.

OP, I am very sorry your thread got derailed.

Goodbye everyone. It was nice to interact with some of you.

Happy caching.

It's OK to either round off or to drop the least significant digits and use N43 27.403 W072 28.359

I suggest the OP plug those numbers in to google maps and see that they are where he wants to be. Those coords seem likely to be right because they put you in Brownsville, Vermont, near the New Hampshire border. The OP is from NH. :lol:

Appreciate everyone's help.

Regarding the above statement. Being that the coordinates should point to a location in Belmont, NH (in the center of the state), then something's wrong, as that is nowhere near Brownsville, Vermont.

I'll phone DeLorme this evening when I get off work, to see what they have to say.

Thanks again. (And everyone, please this is just a question about GPS coordinates, let's keep discussion civil, please.

PJ

I'm 99.9999% sure that DFX was referring to the OP when posting the mathematics wiki link. You just took it the wrong way.

But there is a .0001% chance I am wrong.

of course i was refering to the OP :anicute: i didn't think there was any way that could've been misunderstood :)

sheesh, that's what you get for trying to provide some comic relief....

Edited by dfx