Stumble Upon Vs. Search

Thack Pack

I was driving down the road and spotted a benchmark. I was thrilled as always and started thinking. Do you prefer to find benchmarks by searching for them? Or would you rather just spot one while out and about?

All of my benchmark finds to date are ones I've just happened upon. Although, I have searched unsuccessfully on a couple of occasions.

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

I was driving down the road and spotted a benchmark. I was thrilled as always and started thinking. Do you prefer to find benchmarks by searching for them? Or would you rather just spot one while out and about?

All of my benchmark finds to date are ones I've just happened upon. Although, I have searched unsuccessfully on a couple of occasions.

Tough question. I've only just "stumbled" upon benchmarks searching recently, but right now I'd have to say that I'd prefer just stumbling upon them. Especially since, I'm O for 3 when searching and right after that, just stumbled upon one. icon_smile.gif

A friend of mine wants to go out this weekend and looks for some benchmarks, so we'll see how I feel after actively searching for them.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I kinda agree with embra. I find them through searching and by stumbling upon them. I like to get 'em either way. The searching can be fun be can also be a major let-down for me when I can't find them by searching. Other times after a major search for a benchmark, it is so rewarding to finally find it buried 3"-4" under the dirt. I happened to just stumble across a witness post today and haven't had time to research the mark there yet, but it was also rewarding. I have set a personal goal to find 100 by the end of March. Hopefully, I'll make my goal! Happy caching!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

My favorites are located on mountain tops. I originally started "collecting" BMs when I began hiking/climbing peaks in 2001. Usually on mountains the BMs are easy to spot, in good condition, and almost always have awesome views! Some of the more isolated ones haven't been recovered since they were monumented 30 or 40 years ago.

I've even seen a couple with intact wood cairns from over 30 years ago. Check out this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=OZ0969

quote:
Originally posted by zdv:

My favorites are located on mountain tops. I originally started "collecting" BMs when I began hiking/climbing peaks in 2001. Usually on mountains the BMs are easy to spot, in good condition, and almost always have awesome views! Some of the more isolated ones haven't been recovered since they were monumented 30 or 40 years ago.

I've even seen a couple with intact wood cairns from over 30 years ago. Check out this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=OZ0969

Before there was geocaching I remember being on top of a peak in Yosemite and spotting one. I'd like to go back and find that one again.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I was in Utah last month looking for a cache when I came upon what looked to me like a benchmark. I didn't write down the numbers or anything. It was out in the middle of the foothills about 40 miles south of Salt Lake City. I tried to look it up on the website using the cache's coordinates to find the closest benchmarks but it said that the closest one was 2 miles away. So, I guess I found one without looking and without really knowing what it was. Is there other "benchmarks" out there that have never been documented? Obviously I know very little on the subject.