Off set multi help

Hi All,

I only just found out about geocaching on friday and have fell in love, I've been out and got 5 in the last 2 days but have found one that only half a mile away but I cant work it out.

THe detials show

---------------------------------------------------------

N 52° 58.904 W 001° 14.393

The cache is NOT at the above co-ordinates. Please use the "posted" number at the co-ordinates as 'X'. Then substitute X into the following equation:

N 52 (X - 5).((X multiplied by 13) - 10)

W 001 (X - 49).(X + 674)

-----------------------------------------------------------

See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-8b0264434f62 for more detials

So to me this works out as

N 52° 58.904

N 52 (58 - 5).((904 multiplied by 13) - 10)

N 52 50.11742

W 001° 14.393

W 001 (X - 49).(X + 674)

W 001 (14 - 49).(393 + 674)

W 001 -35.1067

N 52 50.11742 W 001 -35.1067

and this shows as its not a valid address........... am I doing this wrong?

Hi All,

I only just found out about geocaching on friday and have fell in love, I've been out and got 5 in the last 2 days but have found one that only half a mile away but I cant work it out.

THe detials show

---------------------------------------------------------

N 52° 58.904 W 001° 14.393

The cache is NOT at the above co-ordinates. Please use the "posted" number at the co-ordinates as 'X'. Then substitute X into the following equation:

W 001 (X - 49).(X + 674)

-----------------------------------------------------------

See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-8b0264434f62 for more detials

So to me this works out as

N 52° 58.904

N 52 (58 - 5).((904 multiplied by 13) - 10)

N 52 50.11742

W 001° 14.393

W 001 (X - 49).(X + 674)

W 001 (14 - 49).(393 + 674)

W 001 -35.1067

N 52 50.11742 W 001 -35.1067

and this shows as its not a valid address........... am I doing this wrong?

Those calculations look very impressive, but are wrong. Take a look at the word I highlighted above and go take another look at the coordinates given.

Good luck.

I suspect that X is not 58 or 904! It's more likely that if you go to the posted coords, you will find a 2 digit number. This is X. You then substitute it in each if the bracketed expressions. They often then give you the various digits of the true coords such as N52 12.345. I haven't found one yet where you need to multiply the brackets together to give coords (though that's not to say there might be onbe somewhere!!)

Chris

The rules for the different currently listed and not Grandfathered In cache types are

Traditional Cache is always at the page coordinates

Multi Cache the First Stage is at the page coordinates. This might be a Container or simply information gathering, which needs to be processed to obtain the coordinates for the next stage of final container. Occasionally All the Stages coordinates will be available on the page. But you still need to visit each location to obtain the information needed to obtain the coordinates of the Final Container.

Puzzle Cache this is the catch all category, but the large majority will require you to solve a Puzzle before leaving home. To obtain the coordinates of the Final Container.

Then there is the most confusing type of all Letterbox Hybrids

Letterbox Hybrids were partially created as a aid to try and teach Geocachers not to take the Custom Stamp out of a Traditional Letterbox. When found by them whilst searching for a Geocache, as locations we think are suitable so do Letterboxers [mind you the same goes for Drug Dealers/Gun Runners].

A Letterbox Hybrid as well as having the required Container and Log book/sheet, is also required to have a Permanent Stamp as part of the contents [there is not a requirement for a Ink pad or separate stamp book].

LBH are the mongrel of cache types shocked.gif in that they can be of Traditional/Multi/Puzzle cache types. Provided that there is a requirement at some point to use a GPS. This requirement does not cover the Parking location, the location has to be a integral part of finding the container. Other than that the Container can be at the Page Coordinates or a Puzzle is need to be solved to obtain the coordinates. You can even require information of a sign to obtain the coordinates for the starting point.

As a Geocache Reviewer who has absolutely nothing to do with Earth Caches, I'll leave a explanation of them to someone else :D

Deci

The rules for the different currently listed and not Grandfathered In cache types are

A Letterbox Hybrid as well as having the required Container and Log book/sheet, is also required to have a Permanent Stamp as part of the contents ...

Deci, is it a requirement of this type of cache for the finder also to have stamp? If not, is it permitted for the cache owner to stipulate that the finder must have a stamp? Or is the stamp always an optional part?

I don't have a stamp, and don't plan to get one, just wondering how that affects me logging that type of cache.

Rgds, Andy

A Letterbox Hybrid as well as having the required Container and Log book/sheet, is also required to have a Permanent Stamp as part of the contents ...

Deci, is it a requirement of this type of cache for the finder also to have stamp? If not, is it permitted for the cache owner to stipulate that the finder must have a stamp? Or is the stamp always an optional part?

I don't have a stamp, and don't plan to get one, just wondering how that affects me logging that type of cache.

Rgds, Andy

The Finder having a Stamp is optional. Any attempt by the Owner of a LBH to make it a requirement. Would make it a Additional Logging Requirement, which as everyone knows :) is not allowed and is something which was not Grandfathered In when the Guidelines were Updated and they were removed.

So if you come across a cache with a ALR, the Owner may not delete your log for failing to comply with it.

Deci

You forgot Wherigos Deci

High-tech Multis avoided by most cachers

(and virtually abandoned by Groundspeak) :D

• The stated co-ords are usually the starting zone.
  • The cacher follows a series of zones to a final location where the physical cache is hidden
  • There may be a story to follow and tasks to complete along the way
  • The GPSr has a high probability of crashing before you get to the end :):D

Nice icon though! B)

Mark

You forgot Wherigos Deci

High-tech Multis avoided by most cachers

(and virtually abandoned by Groundspeak) ;)

• The stated co-ords are usually the starting zone.
  • The cacher follows a series of zones to a final location where the physical cache is hidden
  • There may be a story to follow and tasks to complete along the way
  • The GPSr has a high probability of crashing before you get to the end :rolleyes::unsure:

Nice icon though! :blink:

Mark

Some people insist on you emailing your tracklog when logging a find on a Wherigo - to prevent people from going straight to the final. Does this count as an ALR, or was it grandfathered in?

LBH are the mongrel of cache types shocked.gif in that they can be of Traditional/Multi/Puzzle cache types. Provided that there is a requirement at some point to use a GPS. This requirement does not cover the Parking location, the location has to be a integral part of finding the container. Other than that the Container can be at the Page Coordinates or a Puzzle is need to be solved to obtain the coordinates. You can even require information of a sign to obtain the coordinates for the starting point.

But Mongrels are often the most loved :rolleyes:

Paperless LBH caching is like a box of chocolates..... you never know what you're gonna get!

Some people insist on you emailing your tracklog when logging a find on a Wherigo - to prevent people from going straight to the final. Does this count as an ALR, or was it grandfathered in?

Yes it's an ALR and no they were not grandfathered in!

I emailed Groundspeak directly to clarify this when setting our last Wherigo :rolleyes:

There is nothing to stop someone who has completed a Wherigo from just passing the final co-ords to someone else - same as any other Multi or Puzzle/Mystery really

As long as the name is in the logbook there's nowt you can do about it

(even if you suspect/know that the person whose name is in the log wasn't even there at the time)

I think this is a bit of an oversight really considering how much effort Wherigos require to set...

Mark

I think this is a bit of an oversight really considering how much effort Wherigos require to set...

"A bit of an oversight really" is a fair summary of almost everything relating to Wherigo.

Halfway usable design tool? No - "A bit of an oversight really"

Oh, all right then, perhaps some documentation? Oops, no - "A bit of an oversight really"

Any kind of meaningful support and maintenance? Hmm, no - "A bit of an oversight really"

Make it actually work properly on those expensive GPSs you're helping to sell? Don't be silly - "A bit of an oversight really"

Oh, all right, enough. I'm not usually so bitter. But the time and money I wasted on this abandoned project still grate on me! I still think it's a great idea and that one day somebody will resurrect it, but it clearly ain't gonna be Groundspeak.