Recovery submissions linked back to gecoaching.com

makaio

Following is an entry I submitted last year for RD0322 which simply provides a link to info/images from the successful recovery (I had provided verbage but it wasn't included for some reason). This was prior to the existence of Geocaching.com's benchmark database.

RD0322 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

RD0322

RD0322'RECOVERY NOTE BY INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS 2001 (MTO)

RD0322'IMAGES AT WWW.LEONARDSOFFROAD.COM/NGS/RD0322.HTML

Now that geocaching.com has a benchmark database, I'm curios of folks opinions regarding recovery submissions which include a link to the PID's respective page here at geocaching.com.

Certainly, there is no need to include a link for each benchmark, but for those which have been recovered (especially after a previous NOT FOUND or a very long gap between successful recoveries) it would provide information (likely more verbose than that on the data sheet) and pictures which could be very useful to surveyors, et al, who wish to locate the mark.

Opinions?

-

[This message was edited by makaio on October 08, 2002 at 10:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I wouldn't be inclined to include a URL with my recovery report. 5 years from now it will seem as quaint (and useless) as the entries with "small nail in the side of the 10-foot maple tree" in them. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by infosponge on October 08, 2002 at 03:37 PM.]

The database that we're building here is twice what the NGS currently has. We're digging deeper and recovering everything. Not just words on a piece of paper...proof!

If Geocaching.com ever ceased to exist the data could/would be merged with the NGS.

I just want to make sure all the work that's being done is known and utilized.

We may be having fun, but the data is invaluable. Especially to a government agency void of the funds to gather it themselves. icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

[This message was edited by Dawgies on October 08, 2002 at 04:29 PM.]

quote:

I wouldn't be inclined to include a URL with my recovery report. 5 years from now it will seem as quaint (and useless) as the entries with "small nail in the side of the 10-foot maple tree" in them. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by infosponge on October 08, 2002 at 03:37 PM.]

The database that we're building here is twice what the NGS currently has. We're digging deeper and recovering everything. Not just words on a piece of paper...proof!

If Geocaching.com ever ceased to exist the data could/would be merged with the NGS.

I just want to make sure all the work that's being done is known and utilized.

We may be having fun, but the data is invaluable. Especially to a government agency void of the funds to gather it themselves. icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

[This message was edited by Dawgies on October 08, 2002 at 04:29 PM.]

quote:

5 years from now it will seem as quaint (and useless) as the entries with "small nail in the side of the 10-foot maple tree" in them. icon_smile.gif

That's certainly your discretion. My original concern was that URLs can be somewhat impermanent, but I'll go to whatever effort I can to have it redirect to the right spot if it ever moves. I suppose it's data that would be useful if available. Adding it wouldn't hurt, just like the old quaint descriptions of yesteryear.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:

5 years from now it will seem as quaint (and useless) as the entries with "small nail in the side of the 10-foot maple tree" in them. icon_smile.gif

That's certainly your discretion. My original concern was that URLs can be somewhat impermanent, but I'll go to whatever effort I can to have it redirect to the right spot if it ever moves. I suppose it's data that would be useful if available. Adding it wouldn't hurt, just like the old quaint descriptions of yesteryear.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

When I submitted a report to the NGS I just deliberately left the URL vague in my description, in case the benchmark's page ever moves around:

JD2500 STATION RECOVERY (2002)

JD2500

JD2500'RECOVERY NOTE BY INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS 2002

JD2500'THE AREA WAS CONVERTED FROM AN AIRPORT TO A CITY PARK IN THE 1970S.

JD2500'PRESENT SITE IS INSIDE A MAINTENANCE YARD FOR THE COLUMBIA PARKS AND

JD2500'RECREATION DEPARTMENT, AND THE BEACON NO LONGER EXISTS. SEE REPORT AT

JD2500'WWW.GEOCACHING.COM'S BENCHMARK RECOVERY PROGRAM FOR A PRESENT-DAY

JD2500'PHOTO OF THE SITE.

Have you talked with the NGS folks lately? Just curious what they think of all this. icon_smile.gif I mean, it must be a mixed blessing. On one hand, they're probably getting 10X the number of recovery reports they used to. On the other hand, they must have had to hire an extra person to keep up with all the data we're sending them. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

You do realize that they have a "file" on us now. Yes? icon_razz.gif

Is this part of the Geospatial infrastructure? or just a file to keep tabs on the site?I guess since we are using the GOV. equiptment that is the satelites/and this being an offensive/defensive devise,they always have the capability to watch what is happening!!Or are we doing such a service that they would like to keep track of our progress? I know that they are doing a census as to the volunteer services provided by the public,and the areas where this would best benifit the Nation.This volunteer service can be logged on the usafreedomcorp.gov volunteer web site, I think that the (work)we are doing is an extrordinary example of the way Americans can react. My opinion is that a well educated Nation is a secure Nation,If you study History these marks that we are looking for were put in for the defense of the Nation.Lets Make History!!!!!Happy Goetrails to you.

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!