Garmin e Trex H

5happycampers1995

I am looking at a Garmin e Trex H on Amazon for about $80. I was wondering if this was an okay system to start with. This whole geocaching thing fasinates me and I can't wait to get started, but since I don't know that much about it I want to get started slowly. I don't know if this has any pre-programed caches or if all have to be programed individually. I also don't understand if I can send the info to the gps from the computer. Like I said I am just getting started, just started looking at all this info this last Saturday. I have three kids 5, 9 and 11 and want them to be able to have fun doing it as well. Would one of the kid friendly GPS be better. I really need help. Thank you

This particular model will not accept downloads from the computer. That must have a "c" designation. The "H" indicates a high sensitivity antenna.

You would need to manually enter coordinates for each individual cache into the unit. Any other info that you may require would generally require you to either hand-write it, or print the cache page from the computer.

That technique is just as valid as in the past. I personally know three cachers that yet do it that way, and we did up until last Dec.

It can be tedious when doing a large number of caches, but still works. :wub:

The price is OK, but certainly not a deal. I would advise to dig a little deeper and get now what you are going to upgrade to in the future anyway. It need not be a top-shelf model.

Reviews of just about all GPS units are in this link: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps

Good luck.

The etrex H will import from the computer, but you will need a special cable to interface with your unit. I just bought one for each of my boys for easter, and they seem pretty accurate as long as you dont keep trying to modify the same waypoint over and over again. Some things to think about befor you buy that model though:

1. The "official" cable will run you about $40, and if you dont have a serial port on your computer (most likely if your computer is less than a couple of years old), you will need a USB-Serial interface cable - more $$$

2. There are USB cables for that unit on ebay for around $15.

3. A new unit at Walmart only runs $99, figure in shipping and wait time, and ask yourself if its worth it.

4. REI has the Garmin eTrex Venture HC available for $150. {LINK} Much better value as far as Im concerned, considering the base maps alone. I almost picked one up this weekend at REI in Pittsburgh, but between the 2 eTrex H units, and 2 Android phones, I couldnt justify the extra $150, especially when I am saving my pennies for the Garmin Rino 520.

I would spend just a little more for a Legend H -- the basic mapping function really helps. (The maps are not good enough for turn-by-turn navigation -- just major roads and geographic features show up).

Being able to hook up to a computer with a USB cable is pretty important. Skip models with the old serial port cables.

Color displays, altimeters, and magnetic compasses are nice but will add dollars for marginal utility.

I got my eTrex Venture HC for $120 at Abe's of Maine online. If you're going to pay $80 for the H model and then another $40 for the cable, you might as well get the HC model. That seems to be the most popular unit for starting out. I love mine!

Edit: adding link to where I got mine, didn't think that was legal on here, but since other have, guess I was wrong.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=GM...C&l=FROOGLE

Edited by EddieB606

I would spend just a little more for a Legend H -- the basic mapping function really helps. (The maps are not good enough for turn-by-turn navigation -- just major roads and geographic features show up).

Being able to hook up to a computer with a USB cable is pretty important. Skip models with the old serial port cables.

Color displays, altimeters, and magnetic compasses are nice but will add dollars for marginal utility.

Mike took the words right out of my mouth. I have talked to people who use the e trex and it is a good unit, but you will grow out of it quite quickly I am told. On long caching days inputing the ords can get very tiresome.