Help Please - Easy Terrain Caches in SW Cumbria

My geo-partner and I are visiting the Millom area of Cumbria in May and had intended to do some caching. Unfortunately my partner has fractured his leg and is only able to walk short distances with the aid of crutches. As Cumbria isn't exactly the flattest area in England I am hard pressed to find many suitable caches. Any suggestions please?

Try the series at Silecroft. The one nearest the beach has gone missing, but don't let that put you off. You could easily park by each one if a ile or so on the flat was too much.

There's eight (and an earthcache) on the coast around Millom and Haverigg. That'll be flattish, but I don't know how easy with crutches. I've not done them, so can't really comment on the suitability.

There's a series on the old railway line heading northeast out of Broughton that should als be do-able.

The Ratty Railway (bit of homeork required) and Glannoventa at Ravenglass are both a short distance from the car park in Ravenglass. And you could always hop on the Ratty and pick up BPJC: Look on the Mite Side of Line.

On your way there/back, you could take in as many or as few of the caches in Levens Deer Park - The Levens Left Bank (LLB) series are the more accessible ones.

Try the series at Silecroft. The one nearest the beach has gone missing, but don't let that put you off. You could easily park by each one if a ile or so on the flat was too much.

There's eight (and an earthcache) on the coast around Millom and Haverigg. That'll be flattish, but I don't know how easy with crutches. I've not done them, so can't really comment on the suitability.

There's a series on the old railway line heading northeast out of Broughton that should als be do-able.

The Ratty Railway (bit of homeork required) and Glannoventa at Ravenglass are both a short distance from the car park in Ravenglass. And you could always hop on the Ratty and pick up BPJC: Look on the Mite Side of Line.

On your way there/back, you could take in as many or as few of the caches in Levens Deer Park - The Levens Left Bank (LLB) series are the more accessible ones.

Thank you, Guanajuato and MBFace for your suggestions. We did the old railway line out of Broughton last year and those around Hodbarrow (I don't think my car would cope with those tracks!). I will look at the other suggestions though.

When in May are you coming? If its the 1st, then feel free to pop by the Helm near Oxenholme to meet a few people (No blatant cache advertising here, oh no!). There's a few caches around there, but crutches (or no head for heights) may make a couple rather tricky, unless the crutches are giant extending crutches. :wub:

Kendal has a good variety of excellent caches if you're willing to travel so far back on yourself. The multis in the town centre might be a bit much on crutches. Between them there's probably a couple of miles walking and one rather steep hill - Called Beast Banks for a reason!

When in May are you coming? If its the 1st, then feel free to pop by the Helm near Oxenholme to meet a few people (No blatant cache advertising here, oh no!). There's a few caches around there, but crutches (or no head for heights) may make a couple rather tricky, unless the crutches are giant extending crutches. :wub:

Kendal has a good variety of excellent caches if you're willing to travel so far back on yourself. The multis in the town centre might be a bit much on crutches. Between them there's probably a couple of miles walking and one rather steep hill - Called Beast Banks for a reason!

:blink: Thank you. It's later in the month when we will be visiting, so sadly will miss your event. We may visit Kendal so could do a few caches there, though two miles may be a bit too much.

;) Thank you. It's later in the month when we will be visiting, so sadly will miss your event. We may visit Kendal so could do a few caches there, though two miles may be a bit too much.

Most of the caches in the town centre are easily accessible - the difficulty is not being spotted! Its just the three multis (Mines a pint, Green Plaques and Secrets of the Auld grey town) do involve quite a bit of exploration. They're brilliant caches but maybe too much if you're on crutches. Mind you, you COULD hire a shopmobility scooter thing to whizz around on. :rolleyes:

I can recommend scout scar - park in an old quarry on the road between Kendal and Underbarrow, the path from the car park is (supposedly) disabled access. Its a little steep for a hundred yards or so, but then flattens out along the ridge. Fantastic views, particularly in the evening. There's a cache near the car park (First to...) and another near an obvious viewpoint. There's also a few along the cliff running northwards from the car park (Cunswick Scar). Parking Here

Edited by Guanajuato

:) Thank you. It's later in the month when we will be visiting, so sadly will miss your event. We may visit Kendal so could do a few caches there, though two miles may be a bit too much.

Most of the caches in the town centre are easily accessible - the difficulty is not being spotted! Its just the three multis (Mines a pint, Green Plaques and Secrets of the Auld grey town) do involve quite a bit of exploration. They're brilliant caches but maybe too much if you're on crutches. Mind you, you COULD hire a shopmobility scooter thing to whizz around on. :blink:

I can recommend scout scar - park in an old quarry on the road between Kendal and Underbarrow, the path from the car park is (supposedly) disabled access. Its a little steep for a hundred yards or so, but then flattens out along the ridge. Fantastic views, particularly in the evening. There's a cache near the car park (First to...) and another near an obvious viewpoint. There's also a few along the cliff running northwards from the car park (Cunswick Scar). Parking Here

Thank you for these great suggestions, I am making notes of them all. Only two weeks to go ... can't wait!

Mysty