No bearing pointer on my GPSmap60CSx

Turned on my GPSr to do some geocaching and no matter what I did I could not get the bearing arrow to show up when navigating to a cache. The distance to next and ETA at Distance were also not working. Navigating to cache via the map page was possible however. I'm stumped. Already did a reset and software update. Any suggestions?

Turned on my GPSr to do some geocaching and no matter what I did I could not get the bearing arrow to show up when navigating to a cache. The distance to next and ETA at Distance were also not working. Navigating to cache via the map page was possible however. I'm stumped. Already did a reset and software update. Any suggestions?

Check your batteries' little connector plates. As I recall, this was semi-common with some Garmins, and just require a shutdown, a little bending out of the connector plates to make a tighter fit, a restart, et voila.

Check your batteries' little connector plates. As I recall, this was semi-common with some Garmins, and just require a shutdown, a little bending out of the connector plates to make a tighter fit, a restart, et voila.

Did you press - find - geocache - goto - to navigate to the cache, this will show heading, bearing arrow, and ETA on the compass page

Did you press - find - geocache - goto - to navigate to the cache, this will show heading, bearing arrow, and ETA on the compass page

Connector plates are fine and batteries fit snug. Same freshly charged NiMh batteries I've been using since I purchased the unit. As was stated this problem occurs when I'm navigating to cache using the sequence stated. The Geocache Navigation screen appears with the "found" "Note" and "stop" buttons on the bottom of the screen just like usual except the only thing that works is the "Speed." Calibrated the compass many times as well.

Hmm.... what brand and model?

My Garmin 60 has an option of walking or driving mode. It acts differently in each mode.

First thing I had to do before beginning geocaching was locating my GPS that I had removed from my vehicle a week ago so it wouldn't be accidentally tossed out with the junk I was hauling. After searching all day everywhere I might or might not have placed it, my wife started helping me, and in 5 min found it in the box with the cat food. Has nothing to do with this topic, but is the ultimate "the wife always knows where it is" story.

Anyway, I was having a similar problem with my 60C -- no "Geocache Navigation" screen. Stuck with the "Compass screen.

Thank you very much for the "walking/driving" hint, but I wish to take a moment to clarify the menu path.

The setting for the 60C is Setup > Routing > Guidance Method (Follow Road/Off Road/Prompted).

This is NOT the same as Setup > Map > Lock on Road (on/off), which is what I tried pervious to no avail. "Lock on Road" isn't a factor when "Off Road", above, is chosen.

I have now set Guidance Method to "Prompted" so when choosing a route, or goto WP, I can decide whether I am driving or walking.

Thanks again for someone else asking, and for the answers given.

Edited by Geo-Geezer

In order to see the bearing pointer you have to:

- have a waypoint selcted as "GoTo"

- have the compass calibrated

GermanSailor

Nope...wrong... The compass doesn't even have to be turned on. A bearing is the direction, either TO or FROM, one's current position to the destination, as referenced to true or magnetic north. It has NOTHING to do with heading even though the heading will be the same value as the bearing TO if you're headed straight to the destination.

That's not the problem. If it were the battery connection, which it isn't, the entire thing wouldn't work. Also, that problem was with the INTERNAL battery connectors where they connect to the circuit board. He'd have to crack open the case to address that...

Connector plates are fine and batteries fit snug. Same freshly charged NiMh batteries I've been using since I purchased the unit. As was stated this problem occurs when I'm navigating to cache using the sequence stated. The Geocache Navigation screen appears with the "found" "Note" and "stop" buttons on the bottom of the screen just like usual except the only thing that works is the "Speed." Calibrated the compass many times as well.

I'm sitting here looking at my 60CSx in "walking mode", whatever that is because there's no such thing on the 60CSx. There is no feature for separate walking, driving, etc profiles/settings like there are on an Oregon or Nuvi.

Anyway, with the compass turned OFF, which ELIMINATES anything "compass related", I selected one of my favorites and hit "GO TO". On the compass "looking" page, I have a bearing pointer pointing TO that selected destination with the degrees displayed in one of the data fields because I set it up that way. On that same page, look in the menu and you'll see a selection for "bearing pointer" or "course pointer". Pick the one you want to use. Mine works fine switching between either one. I like the "course pointer" because it's thinner/finer and provides a cross-track CDI bar in the middle to let you know what side and how far off course you are, but still points directly to waypoint currently in navigation use.

Your problem is definitely a weird one. Let us know if/when you get it sorted out.

Edited by sviking