Geocaching Hiding help*first timer*

AKDisneyPirates

Hey folks!

My hubby and I are pretty new geocachers and are still learning the ropes. We've only found about 5 caches ;) or so(and loving it), and we are wanting to hide our first cache. Unfortunately I'm unable to financially go out and buy a GPS(for now) and have been relying on the iPhone application to find our caches.

To my disappointment and stupidity ;) , I put together a box to hide, but only realizing now that I don't have a way to get the coordinates of where I will be hiding/placing the box. :)

Do you guys know of an application that could help me get those? is anyone willing to help or meet some beginner cachers in southern Alberta to hide this first cache?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Hey folks!

My hubby and I are pretty new geocachers and are still learning the ropes. We've only found about 5 caches :P or so(and loving it), and we are wanting to hide our first cache. Unfortunately I'm unable to financially go out and buy a GPS(for now) and have been relying on the iPhone application to find our caches.

To my disappointment and stupidity :D , I put together a box to hide, but only realizing now that I don't have a way to get the coordinates of where I will be hiding/placing the box. :unsure:

Do you guys know of an application that could help me get those? is anyone willing to help or meet some beginner cachers in southern Alberta to hide this first cache?

If you're in Calgary, contact me and I'll help. Depending on location, you can also use Google Earth to get an accurate reading. Not in the middle of a forest of course, but if you can see your location in Google Earth, you can get its coordinates too.

Hey folks!

My hubby and I are pretty new geocachers and are still learning the ropes. We've only found about 5 caches :P or so(and loving it), and we are wanting to hide our first cache. Unfortunately I'm unable to financially go out and buy a GPS(for now) and have been relying on the iPhone application to find our caches.

To my disappointment and stupidity :D , I put together a box to hide, but only realizing now that I don't have a way to get the coordinates of where I will be hiding/placing the box. :unsure:

If you're in Calgary, contact me and I'll help. Depending on location, you can also use Google Earth to get an accurate reading. Not in the middle of a forest of course, but if you can see your location in Google Earth, you can get its coordinates too.

Google Earth is not an acceptable method of obtaining coordinates. From the Guidelines:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS.

Hey folks!

My hubby and I are pretty new geocachers and are still learning the ropes. We've only found about 5 caches :D or so(and loving it), and we are wanting to hide our first cache. Unfortunately I'm unable to financially go out and buy a GPS(for now) and have been relying on the iPhone application to find our caches.

Thanks again everyone! :lol:

I'll second that offer :unsure:

You can use an iphone to find the coordinates to a cache, though I cannot say it would be as accurate as a proper gps. I have both and the iphone just simply isn't as accurate. But if it's a VERY easy hide, and you don't mind the possibility of being told your coords are off...

When you are at YOUR proposed cache site, go into the app and find nearby caches. Select one to find and select Navigate to Cache. It doesn't matter which cache, we just want the iPhone to give up the coordinates of where you are.

AT the top of the screen hit the View Compass button. On the left side it says my location. Bob's your uncle.

Ok, the caveat...the iphone works pretty well, as long as you keep moving. Move away and back to the cache several times to ensure you have the correct coordinates. Keep your eyes on the accuracy. If it's cloudy or in a heavily wooded area, or ...if you sneeze :) , it could go way off. If you get different readings each time, then forget about it.

My advice, only use this for a really easy cache, where being 20 feet off is no big deal. I hid one this way, kept the phone on the walking path and hid the cache nearby. No DNFs so far, but there was really no place else it could be.