GPS HELP

Hi All,

Im new to geoche and am loving it,so i bought a gps device of ebay,i tried doing it the cheap way, well i spent 97 quid on it and it is a garmin etrex vista well i looked online about them and they looked good, colour and even a geocahe bit on the device,well when i got mine its all in black and white and no geocache bit on there at all, the cable wouldnt even go into my lap top so had to buy a connecter for 20 quid and after all that i cant upload caches from this site onto the device so im a little annoyed, ill put it down to a very expensive mistake.

So moaning done im going to buy a new one from a proper shop lol, so was wondering what one i should go for,one that i will be able to upload caches from the site straight onto the device and is in colour, basically one thats ideal for geocahing,any help would be great, Cheers.

Im new to geoche and am loving it,so i bought a gps device of ebay,i tried doing it the cheap way, well i spent 97 quid on it and it is a garmin etrex vista well i looked online about them and they looked good, colour and even a geocahe bit on the device,well when i got mine its all in black and white and no geocache bit on there at all, the cable wouldnt even go into my lap top so had to buy a connecter for 20 quid and after all that i cant upload caches from this site onto the device so im a little annoyed, ill put it down to a very expensive mistake.

Calm down and take a breath.............

Hi Thnx for the help, i have downloaded gsak but when it tries to connect it just keeps coming up no device found, i think its just that old it dont recognise it, i think i need a new modern one so if anyone has got any good ideas please let me know, the main use will be for geocaching,Cheers

Hi Thnx for the help, i have downloaded gsak but when it tries to connect it just keeps coming up no device found, i think its just that old it dont recognise it, i think i need a new modern one so if anyone has got any good ideas please let me know, the main use will be for geocaching,Cheers

:laughing: Colorado <_<

It isn't just a matter of downloading GSAK. If I remember correctly (which means: don't quote me), the eTrex series need to be connected via a serial port - but the cable/adapter you have is designed for USB. The adapter will PHYSICALLY allow you to connect your cable to your PC, but the PC still sees it as a USB port. You need to run a piece of software which creates a LOGICAL serial port on your physical USB port.

If you bought the cable new, the software should have been included. If you got the cable with your eTrex, try asking the seller if he still have the software (it should be on a CD).

The age of the eTrex is not the problem. I still have an old yellow eTrex which I keep as a back-up GPS, and it work well with the configuration described above.

lefthanded99

From previous posts it sounds as though you are using a USB to serial converter. This creates a virtual com port on your computer so make sure you set GSAK to the correct COM port, which from the sound of it, from earlier posts, will probably be the only serial port on the list. If the serial port is not showing, the USB to serial converter hasn't been installed correctly.

Edited by Just Roger

It won't matter how old your GPS is, mine is one of the original etrex's and it works well enough.

gsak will recognise it if you have the right connection and the correct port.

Thanks for everyones help, lefthanded99 you was correct and now its sorted i can upload caches thanks alot,, i know its not colour but what i want it for it seems good enough, once again thanks for all the help...........cant wait to go out and find one with it.

Happy easter all

Sooooo ... how many did you find today? :sad:

Hope you had a good day with your new toy.

Don't know what it was like in sunny West Midlands but it was a bit wet here.

All i did all day was go round maintaining caches that were ripped away by the storm we had here the other day.

We even lost the beach road! ..... no wonder a few caches were lost. :)

oh and the weather was cloudy and cold but didnt rain untill we found the last one, being addicted we got home and it was pouring it down and i still wanted to go and find more but the misses said it wasnt a good idea lol oh well roll on the next one

hi villian sounds like you just got the basic etrex :laughing: at the price of a hx .. i bought a etrex cammo from ebay .that is only b/w screen also. works fine ..but not in heavy tree cover .... who needs colour any way .all the colour you need is in front of you ..the great outdoors ..... have fun m8 :) ..keep it up ...ps if you do upgrade and your m8 still likes caching theres your money for your new one ...lol :P