paying to geocache !

In a magazine arrived today from Nidderdale AONB (Area or Outstanding Beauty) I see a couple of organised geocaching events...

"Advanced Geocaching - Thruscross

Sun 24th Locate a suitable spot to plant a new Nidderdale AONB cache and guide yourself to other nearby caches. Prior knowledge of geocaching essential. For over 7's only. Meet exact details on booking. £3 per adult, under 16's free. Bring packed lunch 2-3 small gifts for the caches and a GPS"

I understand that private events using geocaching.com listed caches was not allowed, or organised events.

What is the difference between this organisation that seems to be promoting geocaching in the countryside and a private company making profits.

Where is the devide ?

Can I have the moderators and others views

In a magazine arrived today from Nidderdale AONB (Area or Outstanding Beauty) I see a couple of organised geocaching events...

"Advanced Geocaching - Thruscross

Sun 24th Locate a suitable spot to plant a new Nidderdale AONB cache and guide yourself to other nearby caches. Prior knowledge of geocaching essential. For over 7's only. Meet exact details on booking. £3 per adult, under 16's free. Bring packed lunch 2-3 small gifts for the caches and a GPS"

I understand that private events using geocaching.com listed caches was not allowed, or organised events.

What is the difference between this organisation that seems to be promoting geocaching in the countryside and a private company making profits.

Where is the devide ?

Can I have the moderators and others views

I can't see any mention of geocaching.com listed caches in there - have you missed that bit of the advert out?

There is nothing to stop them hiding their own caches and charging whatever they think people will be foolish enough to pay - not to mention there are at least 3 other cache listing sites that I know of in this country that may or may not support this sort of activity.

I'll be honest - if I could get people to pay to find my caches I'd be in there like a shot :blink: especially if any monies were going to a decent cause.............

This sort of stuff has been around for years. Centreparcs springs to mind.....

If people wanna pay to go caching then I figure that's up to them - it has nothing to do with Groudspeak as it's not listed on www.geocaching.com

I think it's important to differenciate between geocaching the hobby and geocaching.com the listing site. They're different things here.......

But THIS is a geocaching.com event, and it has a 3Euro charge to attend (reduced to 2Euro for members of the local caching association). The no-charging rule appears to be open to selective interpretation.

lefthanded99

No - you are allowed to charge for events to cover out of pocket expenses. That is not what we're talking about here.