Which NUVI For Geocaching?

I picked up a brand new Nuvi 265T for $139 around Christmas time. It has voice commands, bluetooth for hands-free cell phone, the works. I load up thousands of caches as custom POIs and it navigates me to caches, plus it gives the entire cache description if needed. I use the Advanced Nuvi Macro from jjreds. As StarBrand said, any of the Nuvi's are great, and I'll go one further saying any of the Street Pilots are great, too. Lots of great deals online, new and refurbished.

[edit: spelling]

Edited by Timpat

So when I look at the NUVI specs and it says "Geocaching Friendly: NO" that just means it's not paperless?

I can still load the gpx files instead of .loc?

What you want to do then is use GSAK to run the Advanced Nuvi Macro discussed Here to process many cache gpx files (or PQs of caches). GSAK and this macro will then make your Nuvi a true paperless GPS.

So when I look at the NUVI specs and it says "Geocaching Friendly: NO" that just means it's not paperless?

What you want to do then is use GSAK to run the Advanced Nuvi Macro discussed Here to process many cache gpx files (or PQs of caches). GSAK and this macro will then make your Nuvi a true paperless GPS.

I've always used the PilotSnipes macro myself. The Advanced is supposed to be better.

Basically what either one does is this:

1. Combine PQ in GSAK

2. If you need to, filter

3. Create Garmin POI (XML format)

4. Use Garmin POI Loader to transfer to Nuvi

I know that the 2xx through 8xx series Nuvis are supported. I'm not sure about the 1xxx. One of the 2xx series behave a little strangely. I think the 260 and higher works fine. I'd suggest picking a model and asking if someone has it working with the macro.

Limitation of custom POI : You cannot edit or delete individual caches (point of interest) or mark it as found

Edited by Chrysalides

Correct on both counts.

If you feed the GPX through POI Loader without converting the Groundspeak specific extension to what Garmin understands, you'll lose a lot of the information.

Correct on both counts.

If you feed the GPX through POI Loader without converting the Groundspeak specific extension to what Garmin understands, you'll lose a lot of the information.

How do you convert? Is that the macro?

Correct on both counts.

Yes, the macro does the conversion. Basically, what happens is that Groundspeak separates logs, hints, terrain, difficult, size, type, etc. into different sections, but Garmin's POILoader doesn't understand all these different sections. So the macro combines them all into one section that POILoader uses for description.

Correct on both counts.

Yes, the macro does the conversion. Basically, what happens is that Groundspeak separates logs, hints, terrain, difficult, size, type, etc. into different sections, but Garmin's POILoader doesn't understand all these different sections. So the macro combines them all into one section that POILoader uses for description.

Thank you.

I've got it narrowed down to the 1390T and the 765T.

I've got it narrowed down to the 1390T and the 765T.

On paper, I definitely prefer the 765T, mainly due to the power mount. GPSMagazine agrees. Their conclusion : "Unless you really care about pedestrian navigation, the nuvi 765T offers more features for less money". (though I see that the 765T is now ~$20 more). I think both should serve you fine.

http://gpsmagazine.com/2009/06/garmin_nuvi_1390t_review.php

I've been using the sandbag mount for a few years now, I highly recommend it over the windshield mount.

My replacement battery for the 660 should be arriving any day now. Might even be waiting at home for me at this moment. If I kill the 660, I'll be choosing between those two myself.

Edited by Chrysalides
That's what I'm torn between, the MP3 player on one or ped mode on the other. I don't use public transport much, but sometimes I do take bart to SF and it would be nice to know how to get around I guess

I've been working in SF for some months now and I'm still mostly clueless on how to get around by public transport :laughing: that feature could be helpful. I don't know how accurate and up to date the information is. And those buildings cause nightmares for my handheld - sometimes I'm over 75 ft off, but I guess a bus stop should be visible from that distance. For geocaching in SF, though, I think the majority of the caches are in Golden Gate Park - have you seen the map lately? Someone seems determined to cover that place in geocaches.

If you do end up with the 1390T, please let me know how the pedestrian mode works out for you.

That's what I'm torn between, the MP3 player on one or ped mode on the other. I don't use public transport much, but sometimes I do take bart to SF and it would be nice to know how to get around I guess

I've been working in SF for some months now and I'm still mostly clueless on how to get around by public transport :laughing: that feature could be helpful. I don't know how accurate and up to date the information is. And those buildings cause nightmares for my handheld - sometimes I'm over 75 ft off, but I guess a bus stop should be visible from that distance. For geocaching in SF, though, I think the majority of the caches are in Golden Gate Park - have you seen the map lately? Someone seems determined to cover that place in geocaches.

If you do end up with the 1390T, please let me know how the pedestrian mode works out for you.

Last time I was in GG park I was Disk Golfing. Picked up a couple caches along the way. There are quite a few out there.

I'll let you know if I do get the 1390T