Standard War Time Disk

MarkDuster

I was recently looking for a mark that was recorded as a "Standard War Time Disk" does anyone know what this is refering to? I found a 8"x8" concrete post disturbed with a rusted metal cap that was unreadable. Were war time monuments steel insted of brass? The date was 1944.

[This message was edited by MarkDuster on May 12, 2003 at 11:05 PM.]

I found a 8"x8" concrete post disturbed with a rusted metal cap that was unreadable. Were war time monuments steel insted of brass? The date was 1944.

I have no idea what "war time disk" refers to, but I like the theory. I remember my father collected several hundred steel Lincoln pennies minted in the years 1942-1945 or so. Metals were a precious commodities during the war.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

This raises a question that I have had since I started paying attention to benchmarking. The question is whether it is just my imagination, or does 1942 seem to have been a very productive year?

The reason I ask is that it seems like a great number of benchmarks were eitehr monumented or confirmed in that year. The mystery to me is that this was the beginning of America's direct involvement in WWII, and even the NGS web site notes that:

"During World War II, regular geodetic activities were suspended for the most part and much of the effort was directed to carrying out needed surveys at defense facilities in the U.S. and Caribbean area."

Am I just looking at too small a sample?

In all things, moderation - including moderation.

Its true that in most localities there will be one year, or a few years, when most markers were set, because the work progressed across the country area by area. Generally, the progress was from east to west, so there will be fewer very old ones, pre-1900, in the west. In my observation, there was a surge of surveying activity in rural areas during the 1930s, when people were put to work on government projects during the depression. There was another surge, mostly in urban and suburban areas, during the 1950s & 60s, due to the post war development boom and the creation of the interstate highway system under President Eisenhower. Reduced government funding and changing technology have acted to limit the number of new stations created since then. Due to CORS technology, there will be even fewer created in the future, making the survivors all the more important in historical terms.

quote:
Originally posted by ARTE:

This raises a question that I have had since I started paying attention to benchmarking. The question is whether it is just my imagination, or does 1942 seem to have been a very productive year?

Interesting theory. In my area, I've noticed a preponderence of benchmarks being placed in 1933. The only reason it seems that the date is sticking in my mind is it's the year both of my parents were born.

I agree with you that regional time differences seem to be cropping up. Your area seems to have a lot of 1942 while my area seems to have a lot of 1933 marks. It would be interesting to see a survey of other areas to see if something could be corelated out of the entire thing, or rather our theory is just a bunch of hot air. icon_wink.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I just did a bit of analysis on the benchmarks in the state of Missouri. About 20% of them were set in 1934 and 1935. Also busy times were 1945 to 1949 (almost another 20%) and 1962-63 (16.5%, most of it in '63). That's almost 2/3 of all the benchmarks in Missouri.

Thanks rogbarn! I hoped that you would respond to this question. (And you might add what you told me one time: as far as the St. Louis area goes -- MO & IL -- 1871 seems to be the earliest survey marks, mostly triangulation. I am sure that they are less than 1% though, but 1871 would represent an early burst of surveying activity.)