Anything new on mac compatible GPS?

SKRBCO

Well I have a Garmin eTrex Vista CX and I'm able to load up all my caches via MacCaching and export them to my iPod for paperless caching. Garmin also has a plug in for your browser to load up caches directly to it without any other software. As far as loading up maps on it I think Garmin is coming out with a version of their maps for Mac. I already run windows on my Mac in a virtual machine environment for a couple of custom programs that I use as the programmer refuses to support anything but Windows. Since I have paid for the programs and they are little pricey I am forced to keep windows around. Pretty much if your GPS has USB then it should work fine with a Mac as far as loading up waypoints and such.

Okay quit bragging about having a Macbook Pro. :lol: you have to admit they are cool and shiny looking and I'm all about cool and shiny looking. :P I'm hoping to get my wife a MB Pro before long and maybe myself a Macbook just to putter with while I'm at work. I work in field service and don't always have calls.

There's quite a few garmin units that work well - oregons, dakotas, colorados are all pretty seamless. Almost any unit can be made to work however, it just depends on the skillz and dedication of the person doing the work. There have been many threads on this - search!

Garmin officially supports the Mac - http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/ - they've probably got the best support hands down right now.

Any of the newer GPS units that mount as a mass storage device (show up as a hard drive) that read GPX files can be loaded on a mac - you just drag & drop the GPS file. It may be hard to load maps though. Lowrance apparently offers a Java app that will run on OS X and allow you to update the firmware on their Endura line, not sure about loading maps. DeLorme offers their CacheRegister app for OS X, it will let you load Geocaches. It'll cost you $10 though. Once again, no idea if there's any way to load maps.

Historically Magellan has shown no interest in supporting the Mac. They used a highly customized version of WinCE on their Triton handhelds that does not and will not support the Mac b/c it uses a proprietary protocol that few people seem to be interested in reverse engineering. I'm not sure if their new unit will have better support but I wouldn't hold my breath.

IN short - Garmin appears to have the most mature support and they don't charge you extra for it.

DeLorme has caching abilities via Mac, but it seems they have either

plateaued, or stalled out on all the really good stuff that makes the PN-XX

Topo-XX combination really unique. Maybe after the PN-60/Topo-9 roll-out

they'll have resources to work it, we'll just have to wait and see just how

bold they can be. Mapping data being what it is, it's easier to protect and

feed just one "cash cow" , so why not pick the big one, cull the runt.

Don't tell anyone that the runts growing though, it'll . . .

Norm

I have to go with the above advice. I think that Garmin has the closest thing on the market to "no excuses" Mac support. Firmware upgrades, POI loader, maps, waypoint/route/track management are all available on their newer products. (Serial Garmins need not apply.)

Triton's out of the game. "Classic" Explorist can load geocaches via GPSBabel, but no maps and no firmware updates. The Explorist GC announced today has even stronger support; you can just drag a GPX with your PQ to it but firmware updates aren't yet know. If I were shopping for a GPS today for Mac, I wouldn't bank on a product announced today from a company with a history of no Mac support.

Delorme has some support. You can drag and drop some maps from the included DVDs. Between Cache Register and GPSBabel you can move caches, tracks, and routes.