GPS Features table..

Im pretty new to GC and am already thinking....hmmm that looks much nicer than mine when looking at pictures. (Garmin 300 something or other)

So Im toying with upgrading to a unit that :

Has decent looking maps (and lists Byways Open To All Traffic if poss. for off roading)

Touch Screen would be nice.

Can be used as normal satnav.

Can show GC data, tips, description, logs the whole shebam!!

Record field notes.

Look nice....lol

So either suggestions or a link to a table listing units/features to make comparisons would be handy.

Budget...hmm well that depends on the unit and features I guess, maybe around £2-300 (new or 2nd hand, not fussed).

Edited by HookwayFamily

The T models have more built in memory which is used to take built in topo maps. I've not seen these, but others have said that they're not as good as some of the free offerings out on the interweb.

If you want to see an example of topo maps (not Garmin) search the GB forum for OSM by talkytoaster.

Edited by Andy K!

The T models have more built in memory which is used to take built in topo maps. I've not seen these, but others have said that they're not as good as some of the free offerings out on the interweb.

If you want to see an example of topo maps (not Garmin) search the GB forum for OSM by talkytoaster.

Ive seen that thread I got the maps on my Legend Hcx, finally got it all working how i wanted last night (turn by turn, hints, decentish)

I do like the Oregon, looks quite nice, this was all started by seeing the Garmin Colorado 400t somewhere...lol

I had a Legend HCx until Jan when I upgraded to the 550. The Legend is a great unit and you'll certainly find caches without a problem, but the Oregon is just outstanding. Now I've seen the light, I wouldn't go back.

Sounds like a nice bit of kit, Im a bit of a Gadget fest type person, if it has lights and buttons I want it. The Legend will go to the kids so they have one to share.

My view of the T issue is that if you do buy a 450T or 550T, there's no way to see the map data on your computer, in case you want to plan routes there, then download the route to the Oregon.

If you buy the Oregon and the Topo dvd separately, it comes out to about the same price, but you can install the maps on your computer and use Garmin's Basemap to build and visualise routes, then send them to the Oregon.

You can also get free Topo maps online as well, but these could be loaded to either the T models or the regular Oregons.

But we bought 2 550 Oregons and love the camera feature. It's not a great camera, but it sure is nice to be able to geotag photos in such a way that they become waypoints you can navigate back to, or just see the photos on a map.

The wireless file transfer method is really fun too, when you want to transfer a route, track or waypoint to another Oregon. As more people get these units this will become more useful.

And the 550 comes with rechargeable NiMh batteries and a charger...

There are some online vendors with feature tables - this one is on the GPSCentral site, and is an overview of all handheld units: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products-handheld.html

This link takes you to an Oregon only comparison chart: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/o...comparison.html

Hope this helps... it can be confusing, making a choice.

Im pretty new to GC and am already thinking....hmmm that looks much nicer than mine when looking at pictures. (Garmin 300 something or other)

So Im toying with upgrading to a unit that :

Has decent looking maps (and lists Byways Open To All Traffic if poss. for off roading)

Touch Screen would be nice.

Can be used as normal satnav.

Can show GC data, tips, description, logs the whole shebam!!

Record field notes.

Look nice....lol

So either suggestions or a link to a table listing units/features to make comparisons would be handy.

Budget...hmm well that depends on the unit and features I guess, maybe around £2-300 (new or 2nd hand, not fussed).

Before putting down any money, check the screen visibility in direct sunlight. Many of the touch-screen models (and even some non-touch) wash out badly in sunlight. Basically, the higher the pixel density, the less effective a transflective screen is sunlight. And adding a touch-screen makes it a bit worse.

From what I can see in the comparison list theres not really much difference through the range from the 300 to the 550 apart from a camera on the latter. Having said that after a quick look about the 550 is only £50 more than the 300...

Is the compass magnetic, thats something I like about the iphone, I dont have to move for the compass to work!?

Are there any other makes/models worth a look or are Oregons considered the Daddy of GPS in this sort of price range?

(As for the screen in sunlight...Im in the UK...lol)

Before putting down any money, check the screen visibility in direct sunlight. Many of the touch-screen models (and even some non-touch) wash out badly in sunlight. Basically, the higher the pixel density, the less effective a transflective screen is sunlight. And adding a touch-screen makes it a bit worse.

I just purchased an Oregon 200 and noticed this exact issue. The screen looks very washed out when compared against a 60Csx or my Vista HCx. It definitely has a lot of features that make up for this but having a visible screen is a pretty important part of a GPS.

I have an Oregon 300, and the screen is definitely not something you'll rave about. It is extremely washed out outdoors. I haven't encountered a situation where I can't read it at all, though. And, surprisingly, it works better in bright sunlight than a cloudy (but still bright) day.

If I'm buying today, I'd probably get the 450, because of the improvements over the x00 series, I don't want a camera, and I prefer to get the topo maps separately. An extra $20 for 8 GB of SDHC is not a big deal to me.

I haven't powered up my Venture HC after I got the Oregon.

From what I can see in the comparison list theres not really much difference through the range from the 300 to the 550 apart from a camera on the latter. Having said that after a quick look about the 550 is only £50 more than the 300...

Is the compass magnetic, thats something I like about the iphone, I dont have to move for the compass to work!?

Are there any other makes/models worth a look or are Oregons considered the Daddy of GPS in this sort of price range?

1. The compass is magnetic (for all except the Oregon 200).

2. The x50 compared to the x00 : 3D compass (don't have to lie flat to use), more geocaches (5000 max. instead of 2000), slightly different (and, in my opinion, better) user interface, USB 2.0 instead of USB 1.1.

3. Your 300 is either overpriced, or the 550 extremely cheap. I'd definitely pay the extra £50.

Don't have any experience with the other units, so I can't comment. I'd get a Garmin because they're by far the biggest right now, and there's a lot of 3rd party support (maps, software, mounts, etc.)

Can't do much about your UK weather :)

1. The compass is magnetic (for all except the Oregon 200).

2. The x50 compared to the x00 : 3D compass (don't have to lie flat to use), more geocaches (5000 max. instead of 2000), slightly different (and, in my opinion, better) user interface, USB 2.0 instead of USB 1.1.

3. Your 300 is either overpriced, or the 550 extremely cheap. I'd definitely pay the extra £50.

Don't have any experience with the other units, so I can't comment. I'd get a Garmin because they're by far the biggest right now, and there's a lot of 3rd party support (maps, software, mounts, etc.)

Can't do much about your UK weather :)

The 550 was £287 ($431) but sounds woth the extra...