Caches that Solicit / Commercial Caches

LawyerLex

I'd like to hide a couple caches, and I was wondering about whether or not it would be considered acceptable to include a single business card in them, for identification purposes. I'd actually like to start a new account/change my handle (to mark[da]le), which ties in to my identity (my last name is Markle and I live in Markdale, ON), and the business card will show the origin of this handle.

It is a business card for my actual business, which is as a lawyer, although I couldn't possibly think that a cache with a single copy of my card in it (attached to the back of the laminated instructions for muggles) is going to bring in clients. I have never dropped my business card in the (admittedly few, so far) caches that I've visited, which, if I was trying to advertise via geocaching, would be a better way to go about it.

I suspect that I'll still be told that my business card shouldn't be included, but I just wanted to make sure beforehand, so I can include it if someone from the site okays it.

I don't see anything wrong with it.... I have found many caches that people put their business card in. I wouldn't name the cache anything with a business name, well, I guess I really don't see nothing wrong with that too. TRY IT... The worst thing that could happen is the Moderator would say something about it so it won't be approved.

It's your cache, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's more like letting people know who made it, than advertising. I see business cards dropped in caches all the time. Not so sure how I feel about that though, that is more like cheap advertising and don't we get enough of that in our lives? I think the cards that people make up just for GeoCaching with their GeoCaching name on them are cool though. Thinking of getting some of those myself.

There are no restrictions about putting business cards into caches. You can put what you like into a cache as long as you follow these guidelines

"Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled."

Business cards do not come under the heading of being "questionable items", we've found many in caches. Many geocachers make up their own version of a business card which is usually referred to as a 'signature card' - These are usually a small card with their geocaching name, maybe their avatar and whatever else they fancy adding. Some people like to find them and they collect them as they do any signature item... Others loathe them because they often drop out of the log books and blow away in the wind (that's when they're not getting damp in the bottom of the cache and deteriorating into a soggy pulp :laughing: )

MrsB ;)

There are no restrictions about putting business cards into caches. You can put what you like into a cache as long as you follow these guidelines

Business cards do not come under the heading of being "questionable items", we've found many in caches. Many geocachers make up their own version of a business card which is usually referred to as a 'signature card' - These are usually a small card with their geocaching name, maybe their avatar and whatever else they fancy adding. Some people like to find them and they collect them as they do any signature item... Others loathe them because they often drop out of the log books and blow away in the wind (that's when they're not getting damp in the bottom of the cache and deteriorating into a soggy pulp :laughing: )

Well, there are rules about "Caches that Solicit" and "Commercial Caches" (hence the title of this thread), so I wanted to determine if putting my business card in caches that I place myself would be considered to be soliciting.

Well, there are rules about "Caches that Solicit" and "Commercial Caches" (hence the title of this thread), so I wanted to determine if putting my business card in caches that I place myself would be considered to be soliciting.

Yes, there are those rules, but they apply to what is put on the cache page itself - in the title and description, and in any links that the cache owner may try to use on the cache page.

They don't apply to the actual contents of the cache container (which are constantly changing, in any case).

MrsB ;)