How long do you wait before chasing your TB?

Hi all,

I know this probably comes up a lot, but on a personal level how long do you wait to chase a TB that hasn't left the hands of its "grabber"?

The reason I ask, is this.

I sent a Scout Necker on off on its travels, as a project/bit of fun for my Explorer Scout Unit. They are impatient lil peeps at times, and want to know all where it is. Some of them are tracking it on here, but I am frequently being asked about it. I am happy to let its run its course, but when do you think is a reasonable time frame to email grabbers if its prgress has not changed?

On the plus side, as a little side note, my Explorer Scouts are really taken with geocaching now. It's great for me as a leader, as it gets them practicing navigation, without them really realising they are doing so. You can imagine the groans I get when I tell 14-18 y/o to get the maps out, we are off hiking and navigating. I tell them to get the maps we are going geocaching, and I get a cheer!!

Thanks all,

Rob

Edited by rob.marsh

In the travel bugs FAQ it is suggested the recommended maximum time for holding a TB before moving it on is 2 weeks but in reality many cachers are not able to do it that quickly: I ususally wait 8 - 10 weeks before emailing the holder with a polite 'nudge' to remind them.

However, I can understand your scouts' enthusiasm - they want some action! - so I would suggest that you wait a month from when it was picked up. Then if it hasn't been placed you could word a very friendly email, thanking the cacher for picking up the necker, explaining how much the group is looking forward to seeing where it gets dropped next etc which, hopefully, will be enough to jog them into action to place it. Remember that it's possible that they have tried to drop it into a cache but haven't yet found one large enough (or with enough space) to take the item.

Just for your interest, here's another TB which is being watched by a UK cub pack:

All points of the compass.

MrsB :)

I wouldn't wait two months the chances are that the TB will be removed from the cacher's bag and may well become mislaid. After a couple of weeks I would check whether the cacher is active and if they have claimed a suitable find without leaving the TB then send them a message. If not then wait a month then send your message. If I would like to hang on to a TB for a specific reason I request the owner’s permission. The only two occasions I do so is if I have an overseas trip coming up or by hanging on to it I can better further its mission. Bear in mind that the cacher may have inadvertently failed to register the TB back into a cache and they would probably appreciate an early reminder. I am sure it is just chance but recently I have been finding more TBs than normal not recorded as in the cache.

Thank-you both for your replies.

MrsB, your spot on about them wanting some action, each week I get at least 3 "where is it, why hasn't it gone far?!"

It's great to see them fired up. I'll check out the other TB, thanks for that one!

I did wonder about sending an email to each perso who picks it up, written from the unit, as a thanks for helping our TB kinda thing. To adde to the personal out reach from the Explorers. I haven't as yet though, as I don't know how well it would be viewed, ie as Spam.

Thank-you both for your replies.

MrsB, your spot on about them wanting some action, each week I get at least 3 "where is it, why hasn't it gone far?!"

It's great to see them fired up. I'll check out the other TB, thanks for that one!

I did wonder about sending an email to each perso who picks it up, written from the unit, as a thanks for helping our TB kinda thing. To adde to the personal out reach from the Explorers. I haven't as yet though, as I don't know how well it would be viewed, ie as Spam.

I think with it being a Scout related TB, that would be a good idea. Yes, we all have to be willing to let go of the TBs in the wild, but that doesn't mean we are throwing them away when we put them in a cache. It would be annoying to get a reminder message after 2 weeks for every TB or coin you pick up, but if it is in a race, involves a large group of people or is particularly cute and 'collectable' I think an email like that (saying thanks, not 'please hurry up') would be a responsible thing to do.