Geocaching & Tracking Your Kids?

Cookie2012

If these can be kept private, why wouldn't every parent have one of these travel bugs on a necklace or in a backpack for their kids... I just found these on ebay, and have ordered some for my kids. Unless I am missing something, I can keep them inactive, unless the worse happens, and then active.. and have their exact location via satelite? So, two questions 1) Can my coins be activated and kept private ? or 2) Is there any reason why I couldn't keep them inactive (and activate if needed) so we could pinpoint their location immediately? Please offer a reply. The latest tracker by Amber Alert requires constant charging (every 24 hours) and the next best things only have a radius of 45 to 600 feet. So THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS GOING? Cookie

If you are referring to geocoins and travel bugs they do not track your personal location.

Geocaches are containers placed in various locations like parks, historic sites, etc. You locate the caches using a gps and log on line that you found it.

In addition to that you can log a 'traveler' like a geocoin that travels with you to the cache location. The coin or travel bug tracks its progress from cache to cache so the only information provided is what cache you found.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Geocoins are not an active tracking unit. They do not work James Bond style, nor are they like a homing beacon. If this was the case, the coins would be in the thousands of dollars.... Not ten to twenty dollars.

A geocoin is reported when found in a cache via tracking number (these numbers are on the coin or tag).

Sorry if you bought the coins for this reason. Hopefully, you will have fun using them to track adventures... Or put them into a collection.

:) Ok.. so then we can start a new family activity!! It was a great idea though! The current kid trackers are virutually useless! I guess, If I could make my kid a cache & Id always know where she was!!!

If these can be kept private, why wouldn't every parent have one of these travel bugs on a necklace or in a backpack for their kids... I just found these on ebay, and have ordered some for my kids. Unless I am missing something, I can keep them inactive, unless the worse happens, and then active.. and have their exact location via satelite? So, two questions 1) Can my coins be activated and kept private ? or 2) Is there any reason why I couldn't keep them inactive (and activate if needed) so we could pinpoint their location immediately? Please offer a reply. The latest tracker by Amber Alert requires constant charging (every 24 hours) and the next best things only have a radius of 45 to 600 feet. So THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS GOING? Cookie

By all means... This is a great family activity. I would suggest looking at the geocaching.com website. There should

be a link that say find a geocache. This is an easy way to find geocaches in your area. If you are still interested, then you will probably want to buy a handheld GPSr. Then, you are set and ready to go geocaching.

There are devices to track disappeared dogs. I can't think of any reason why these devices could not be used to track kids.

They can be found here.

This is cool.

For a dog at least.... :huh:

Can't imagine how my kids would react, if I tried to tie this to their schoolbags, though.

Noone could sell this to a 14year old as stylish necklace, now could they? :)

@cookie: Try out the sport but be prepared, it is addicting!

No, I didn't say this. I'm not addicted, I just like to go for walks. Every time someplace else.

Yep, that's what it is. Just walking.

Haha maybe cookie is on to something...time to locate the "lost" trackables, someone flip the switch....

Seriously though it gave me a good laugh. Welcome to caching, its not addicting you just want to do it a really really really lot, haha.

Edited by Moonsouth