'Reverse' Field Note?

Skittler

Field notes (for me these are entered on the iPhone App) allow me to write a note about a cache and either submit it as a log entry right then, or else wait until back at home where I can perhaps tidy up the note before submitting it. All great.

What I need is something in reverse!

For example, a number of caches involve some sort of puzzle. I may have worked out the solution at home, maybe giving me a new Lat/Long or perhaps a combination lock code or something. Anyway, I would like to be able to access my solution while out hunting for the cache.

What I 'think' I need is a note that I can add to a cache on the website which would then be readable from the iPhone App. This note would have to be specific to me of course and not public. Obviously I could just take the note on paper but it could be months after solving the puzzle before I visit the cache so a website/App note would be far more convenient.

Any ideas on how to do this at present?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Skittler

Something similar had been proposed in the past, including corrected coordinates for puzzle caches (you "correct" the coordinates, without the site telling you if you're actually right - a coordinate verification system is another proposal). Don't think we heard back from Groundspeak.

I find that I use bookmark lists for different areas and when you make the list or can edit what is on the list it gives you the chance to write your own notes.

Don't know how easy it is to transfur that info to your iphone. I just print out the bookmark list and it has all the extra details I need and gives me somewhere to jot down any comments I wish to note later.

I use GSAK to store the cache details, including its corrected coords and the puzzle solutions in its Notes field. This then transfers to my Oregon with the added details at the top of the cache details.

I don't have an iPhone, but believe you can transfer the same augmented cache details in HTML from GSAK to an iPhone.

Chris

Dave,

I use my iPhone exclusively and here is what I do for puzzle caches that have new coordinates to navigate too. After you get the new coordinates fire up the geocache app. Search by GC code. Click navigate to cache. There is an icon to enter a waypoint on the left of a flag with a +. Touch it and enter the new coordinates. After pressing done a flag pin shows in the map. If you touch the waypoint the navigation now directs you to it.

From the map screen press the "Geocache Info" button at the top then click "Add to favorites" Now you can pull up the saved caches from the "Saved" option at the bottom.

I'll load up a days worth of puzzle I plan to find the night before and the waypoints will be saved for the hunt the next day.

As far as multicaches I just keep a pad with me to workout the coordinates and then add another waypoint and save.

Happy Hunting

Leo

Thanks webscouter, but I still don't get it.

Bearing in mind I've only been using this website and the iPhone App for a few days, I can't see how to do what I orginally described.

Can I somehow download the .LOC file for a cache, edit its contents, save it as a .GPX and upload it to make it available from the website and from the iPhone App? That seems to be what I would need to do.

-----

Thanks Leonard, that makes perfect sense for new waypoints (which was half of my problem). The other half is to be able to attach some sort of note to the cache information, allowing me to retrieve it later either from the website or (ideally) from the iPhone App.

Edited by Skittler
I use GSAK to store the cache details, including its corrected coords and the puzzle solutions in its Notes field. This then transfers to my Oregon with the added details at the top of the cache details.

I do that too, but the problem has to do with keeping GSAK on my laptop and desktop in sync. And my Nuvi and my Oregon :) A couple of times, I have my laptop without corrected coordinates for a puzzle I know I'm near. I use SkyDrive to store my GSAK DB, but I still need to remember to upload it.