Help with setting up 60csx

wolfguy03

I was under the impression that the 60csx was excellent for geocaching, however I have found that mine is not all that great? In fact, my iphone seems to zero in on caches better (even when it says 150+foot accuracy).

There are no maps loaded on the unit, I am just using satellite readings. And the only changes I made were enabing WAAS and putting the setting to offroad and fastest time. Could someone give some tips on setting it up to be more accurate? Or did I just waste $200?

I was under the impression that the 60csx was excellent for geocaching, however I have found that mine is not all that great? In fact, my iphone seems to zero in on caches better (even when it says 150+foot accuracy).

There are no maps loaded on the unit, I am just using satellite readings. And the only changes I made were enabing WAAS and putting the setting to offroad and fastest time. Could someone give some tips on setting it up to be more accurate? Or did I just waste $200?

Hello,

I am also the proud owner of a 60CSX and an iPhone. The CSX is a great unit and far more accurate then the iPhone. Let me ask a few questions first to make sure your unit is set up correctly.

First: Have you calibrated the unit? To do this go to your compass page and select menu>Calibrate compass> and then follow the directions. Do this outside and you can spin the unit in your hand, you do not need to walk in circles.

Second: How do you have your Position Formatted and Map Datum Set? To get there select Menu>Set-up>Units>Position Format - Should be hddd mm.mmm. Next, select Map Datum from the same window and make sure it is set for WGS 84.

Now your unit should be set for better accuracy.

The unit does not have very good base maps but you can download some from www.gpsfiledepot.com

Good luck and I hope this has helped.

The 60CSx is a very good unit!

Maybe you have the "Lock on Road" feature enabled.

Go to:

Setup - Map - "on the left with the "N"" you find the Lock On Road selection: select: Off

Don't forget to calibrate the compass and make sure you enter the coordinates correctly. Some people try to press the dezimal minutes provided by Groundspeak into the seconds setting on the unit. This won't work very well.

GermanSailor

I would love to know where you found it for $200! I'm looking to buy one, and that's $100 lower than the cheapest price I've found so far!

Thanks!

Dreemcacher, it sounds like you should make Wolfguy3 an offer to take his off his hands before he figures out how good it really is. :laughing:

The 60CSx is a very good unit!

Maybe you have the "Lock on Road" feature enabled.

Go to:

Setup - Map - "on the left with the "N"" you find the Lock On Road selection: select: Off

Don't forget to calibrate the compass and make sure you enter the coordinates correctly. Some people try to press the dezimal minutes provided by Groundspeak into the seconds setting on the unit. This won't work very well.

GermanSailor

Lock on road will not affect navigation, when navigating in off-road mode.

Hello,

I am also the proud owner of a 60CSX and an iPhone. The CSX is a great unit and far more accurate then the iPhone. Let me ask a few questions first to make sure your unit is set up correctly.

First: Have you calibrated the unit? To do this go to your compass page and select menu>Calibrate compass> and then follow the directions. Do this outside and you can spin the unit in your hand, you do not need to walk in circles.

Second: How do you have your Position Formatted and Map Datum Set? To get there select Menu>Set-up>Units>Position Format - Should be hddd mm.mmm. Next, select Map Datum from the same window and make sure it is set for WGS 84.

The unit does not have very good base maps but you can download some from www.gpsfiledepot.com

Iagree with this post - believe this, the unit you have is a great one for accuracy - so check all your settings and try to find a live body that has one and can use it.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Hello,

Iagree with this post - believe this, the unit you have is a great one for accuracy - so check all your settings and try to find a live body that has one and can use it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try them out before my next cache run. Maybe the REI store nearby can help as well?

Edited by wolfguy03

I appreciate everyones input as well however I too am a new owner of a 60csx and it seemed to be great on the first 6 or 7 caches over the last two days. Now the last two today the compass and distance were bouncing all over from 35 feet to 5 feet and the compass will point in different directions as well as freeze some times. I am keeping it flat in my palm and calabrated it several times. Is this normal?

I appreciate everyones input as well however I too am a new owner of a 60csx and it seemed to be great on the first 6 or 7 caches over the last two days. Now the last two today the compass and distance were bouncing all over from 35 feet to 5 feet and the compass will point in different directions as well as freeze some times. I am keeping it flat in my palm and calabrated it several times. Is this normal?

What batteries are you using?

What batteries are you using?

Alkaline. I did however notice that the WAAS was off. I can't wait to see how much of a difference this makes. The batteries are new and still full strength. I plan on using NIMH. Do they make a big difference?