Pocket query Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

akfuzzydice

Got an email from a fellow cacher who's having a problem.... Please help:

Hello, I also have a garmin etrex vista hcx, but I was wondering if you could tell me how I can get my gpx files onto the device that are generated by pocket queries. I have yet to figure out how to load more than one cache at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated :blink: If you could send me an e-mail to drummers_secret@hotmail.com that would be amazing! Thanks for your time :D

Thanks!

Fuzzy

Tell your friend that EasyGPS is a simple and free way to transfer multiple waypoints to his Vista.

He saves his PQ file to his drive, opens it in EasyGPS and sends to GPS and done (well after setting up EasyGPS to recognize his unit and loading the Garmin USB drivers).

He can use Google to find out where to get EasyGPS.

Edited by briansnat

Got an email from a fellow cacher who's having a problem.... Please help:

Hello, I also have a garmin etrex vista hcx, but I was wondering if you could tell me how I can get my gpx files onto the device that are generated by pocket queries. I have yet to figure out how to load more than one cache at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated :blink: If you could send me an e-mail to drummers_secret@hotmail.com that would be amazing! Thanks for your time :D

Thanks!

Fuzzy

With your Vista HCx, you also got a copy of MapSource. You can take the PQ file, load it into MapSource, and then MapSource allows you to copy all of the waypoints found in the PQ with one click (send to GPS button). - FishLung22

You can also download POIloader from the garmin website. So long as all the .gpx files are in the same directory it will suck them all into a single file on your etrex.

OK. Now I have another question - Will POIloader or easyGPS load more information into my Vista? I am interested in loading hints, or more to the point I'd like to be able to choose the data uploaded. Does that make sense?

Right now, I come to geocaching.com and load caches to my gpsr and in the notes section it gives the name of the cache by default.

OK. Now I have another question - Will POIloader or easyGPS load more information into my Vista? I am interested in loading hints, or more to the point I'd like to be able to choose the data uploaded. Does that make sense?

Right now, I come to geocaching.com and load caches to my gpsr and in the notes section it gives the name of the cache by default.

Your friend was asking about getting gpx files onto a device. A gpx file is only available to Premium (paid) Members. As a Regular (non-paying) Member you do not have access to gpx files. The loc files you do have access to do not contain "hints or more" type information. So you don't even have access to the full data. Even when you have a Premium Membership, a Vista is not a true paperless unit. It is quite limited in it's ability to store extra data, but you can get an inexpensive Palm PDA to store the data on. Or there are more expensive true paperless GPS units available.