The snow begins to melt!

hoosier guy

Here in SE Ohio we still have 100 foot of this white crap. I gave it a go this morning, but decided I valued my life and didn't want to fall into an icy river off of a rock wall that I couldn't judge the sturdiness of due to the snow. I can't wait for it to melt...but the evil weatherman is suggesting the possibility of 8-12 more inches this weekend...AARGH! Send some snow melt vibes over this way please!!!!!

I don't think it's going away anytime soon. I worked on a multi on a trail using snowshoes but eventually got to the point where a few stages were just too buried to get to (unless I bring a snow shovel next time.....) and I tried a nano on monday. It definitely changes the geocaching experience a little... but I've still had fun (just no finds LOL).

The last few days here in Montana have been on the warmer side. I started to get excited about the possibility of caching this weekend. Then, wouldn't ya know it, last night we got about 2 inches... May not seem bad but that was on top of the current 4" we had. Grrrrrr.......

6 inches? That's it? That's stopping you from caching?

We still have 25-30" of snow on the ground here in Upper Michigan. But last weekend my wife and I found two caches that were accessible using snowshoes. For each one, we had to hike about .5 mi. One cache however was in a fork of a tree and was so encased in ice that we couldn't retrieve it. But it was a beautiful sunny winter day to be out with my bride. Winter caching can be fun...just be prepared for conditions in your area and research the caches to make sure they are accessible.

We still have 25-30" of snow on the ground here in Upper Michigan. But last weekend my wife and I found two caches that were accessible using snowshoes. For each one, we had to hike about .5 mi. One cache however was in a fork of a tree and was so encased in ice that we couldn't retrieve it. But it was a beautiful sunny winter day to be out with my bride. Winter caching can be fun...just be prepared for conditions in your area and research the caches to make sure they are accessible.

Hey snowman, I like to hear it when guys speak well of their wives, good on you bro!

Hey snowman, I like to hear it when guys speak well of their wives, good on you bro!

Thanks Hoosier Guy. She is my caching buddy. I get her to gz and she is the expert at finding the prize. She loves to discover what is in the container. The joy of discovery is new to her every time and I enjoy watching her smile when she opens it--no matter what she finds. Cheers.

No snow and ice here, but the same thing that results from when it melts ..

Mud.

Puddles.

Mud puddles.

Good thing to have some real boots (not those fair weather fare) when venturing out. In past few days I've employed my big Raichle boots, which are normally employed for serious backcountry hiking, and a pair of flip-flops to ford a stream on a very short stroll. Give a couple months and tennis shoes would likely work on either of these routes.

When those April showers kick in you'll miss those comparatively dry days of winter. :unsure:

-- Michigander relocated westward

Edited by DragonsWest
Hey... If its the one that I'm thinking of, I got FTF on that cache while visiting from Minnesota! Otter Lake?
Hey... If its the one that I'm thinking of, I got FTF on that cache while visiting from Minnesota! Otter Lake?

Thats the one, Knowschad. Small world. Congrats on the FTF. Hope you can get back to the UP in the future.