Find One Hide One

Elementry

O.k.Everyone i want canada to have more geocaches so please take my Challange.

It is Simply like the title says HIDE ONE FIND ONE.

It really is up to you how to do this but i am hiding a small cache in a larger one and hopeing the these finders will take and hide them as well.I also am hopeing to here about them here on this thred.

i'll start

Found Don't Get Blown Away by WD65 (GC23X0B)

Placed - Rock Wall GC23Z4C

K it is your turn.

If you're putting out a seed cache, great. Just remember that ALRs are forbidden.

If you're actually trying to get people to hide a cache for every one they find, that's really inadvisable. Most people simply aren't going to have the resources to maintain hundreds or even thousands of hides. Not to mention the number of really lame caches that will saturate the entire world if we do this...

I'll agree with ReadyOrNot - Quality > Quantity

The original seed caches I remember didn't have an ALR. Just pre-made containers with log books for people to hide a cache. I think making statement of quantity = pool quality is not always true. It does however look like this thread is turning into yet another thread about lame caches. There should be a Godwin's law law about that.

Edited by Keith Watson

The original seed caches I remember didn't have an ALR. Just pre-made containers with log books for people to hide a cache. I think making statement of quantity = pool quality is not always true. It does however look like this thread is turning into yet another thread about lame caches. There should be a Godwin's law law about that.

I just don't understand the desire to saturate the world with caches? Especially easy, ready to drop caches. It's already too easy for thoughtless cachers to place thoughtless caches, why make it easier for them?

I just don't understand the desire to saturate the world with caches?

My first thought would be because people want to find them. Second thought would be that if caches were placed at a slower rate than current rate, people would get board waiting for the next cache to come out. Third would be because Groundspeak wants us to, it is their business after all.

I just don't understand the desire to saturate the world with caches? Especially easy, ready to drop caches. It's already too easy for thoughtless cachers to place thoughtless caches, why make it easier for them?

Nobody is ever going to stop thoughtless cachers from placing thoughtless caches. Asking why make it easy for them is more or less claiming that anyone who would except a free gift cache to place somewhere is thoughtless and will only place a thoughtless cache with it.

Edited by Keith Watson

The original seed caches I remember didn't have an ALR. Just pre-made containers with log books for people to hide a cache.

Oh I know, and I like that idea. I have heard of caches where the premise was 'take a container, hide it, and you can log your find when your cache is published,' and those were a bit questionable. Now, of course, they're not allowed.

Oh O.K. I am a newbie and in need of Caches in this small southern alberta town. I recognized that when i found all the easy ones around us that they where placed from someone from abig city. I placed a few new ones and then i saw 2 new from others with a promise of lots more in the spring.I think hey how can i get more now.I am addicted right i mean if i went for the hard ones in the middle of winter and fell off a mountain. this would be crazzy.I just am trying to create more now.The caches here are not bad at all and are great fun.lets just see what happens i think that most are reasonable and will take time not to saturate the world and if so start putting time limits on them you got to get it befor it is to late cache. NOT...this will invole the passion of the player to play within the already great game rules of the game i love called Geocaching.

P.S. I am Addicted.

so if you want to try this please do and if not don't.

Edited by Elementry

ALR = ?

ALR - Additional Logging Requirement.

There used to be a class of caches where the cache owner required finders to do something beyond just signing the logbook. In the case of 'seed caches", the requirement was to place a new cache before you could log a find on the original seed cache.

Some people got carried away with ALR's requiring bizarre things like "post a picture of yourself with a dead raccoon". This made it very difficult for the reviewers to decide what to accept and what not to accept.

As a result, Groundspeak eliminated ALR's, with the exception of Challenge Caches.

Oh O.K. I am a newbie and in need of Caches in this small southern alberta town.

You have found 16 caches. There are 200 caches within a 50 km radius of the CNP. Get out there and find some.

If you want to encourage hides in your local area, you should be talking to the locals. Host an event. Get people together. Try putting on a CAR event. See this last one in Calgary for ideas, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6e-3d85aa28c4f5 This latest Calgary CAR was really well designed to encourage quality and memorable hides. I would suggest this is the goal you chould be trying to achieve in the CNP. Make it a place that cachers think of as a quality hide center....

Come up to the next Calgary CAR. You should be able to increase your find count be ten fold in one weekend up here.

The original seed caches I remember didn't have an ALR. Just pre-made containers with log books for people to hide a cache.

Oh I know, and I like that idea. I have heard of caches where the premise was 'take a container, hide it, and you can log your find when your cache is published,' and those were a bit questionable. Now, of course, they're not allowed.

I did one 7 years ago. It worked out very well. Another in my area did the same concept with an Event and gave out caches and made it into a contest to see who could place the best caches with the containers. That worked out well.

My area went from a geocaching backwater to a regional powerhouse in spite of or because of a derth of micros.

They did work in some cases and work well. Others may have had different luck.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Why not promote placing quality, well thought out caches, instead of promoting just throwing caches out there for the heck of it?

I don't recall the OP promoting bad caches? Did you read that into it?

How successful are these types of caches (seed caches)? Do they work? Do they increase hides in an area? Are the resulting hides usually decent i.e. nice location, well maintained?

Why not promote placing quality, well thought out caches, instead of promoting just throwing caches out there for the heck of it?

I don't recall the OP promoting bad caches? Did you read that into it?

If I pass out a bunch of needles at the methodone clinic, they probably aren't going to use them for their insulin injections. Has it not been proven that if you make it easy for people, they'll put out a small cache in an easy/low quality location? Just look at Geocaching.com. They've made it exceptionally easy for people to get involved in the hobby and made it exceptionally easy for people to place caches. I'm sure that if you did a 3 month moving average from the beginning, you'd find that the quality of the caches has gone down. The more people that get involved, the lower the quality over time (and I believe it's exponential as well)...

SO.... I think it's a fair assumption that if you hand out 10 starter caches, most of them will be low quality. Five years ago, it would have been different. Quit handing out needles to junkies.

I did one 7 years ago. It worked out very well. Another in my area did the same concept with an Event and gave out caches and made it into a contest to see who could place the best caches with the containers. That worked out well.

My area went from a geocaching backwater to a regional powerhouse in spite of or because of a derth of micros.

They did work in some cases and work well. Others may have had different luck.

Interesting. I recall one event where some very nice fake birdhouses were given as prizes. I don't recall any birdhouse caches going up locally. Maybe the new owners placed them far away, out of my range.

If I pass out a bunch of needles at the methodone clinic, they probably aren't going to use them for their insulin injections. Has it not been proven that if you make it easy for people, they'll put out a small cache in an easy/low quality location? Just look at Geocaching.com. They've made it exceptionally easy for people to get involved in the hobby and made it exceptionally easy for people to place caches. I'm sure that if you did a 3 month moving average from the beginning, you'd find that the quality of the caches has gone down. The more people that get involved, the lower the quality over time (and I believe it's exponential as well)...

SO.... I think it's a fair assumption that if you hand out 10 starter caches, most of them will be low quality. Five years ago, it would have been different. Quit handing out needles to junkies.

Interesting you should use needle exchange as an example.

I guess another reason to put out caches to to feed our obsessive addiction to finding them.

Needle exchanges do help prevent the spread if disease which is a good thing. A seed cache has an advantage that is may be giving out better containers than the cheap leaky ones that I have seen. Regardless of where the cache is placed, it should survive the elements.

One argument here is providing a cache container leads to a lame hide. This may be true, may not be true. I'm going to take the standpoint that providing a *quality* cache container will potentially lead to better hides ... it may redirect some inexperienced cachers away from, for example, the Ziploc & Glad sandwich containers that look like a good idea on the shelf but leak within minutes of their placement.

A bad cache will not typically last in the hidden location, or be maintained properly and will likely disappear after a few short months.

I remember one cache event near here where everyone got a cache container to rehide - and I don't recall seeing too many of them appear out there, but I did see the swag repopulated to sturdier cache containers and rehidden. The benefit of the event was inexperienced cachers had someone to discuss hiding this new box that was in their hands. The downside is frankly giving out 100 cache containers with swag must have cost the hosts a pretty penny!

I for one like the idea of a cache that encourages new cachers to think about placing a cache, particularly if that cache listing gives a bit of a 'howto' on the listing, or inside the seed caches themselves.

O.k.Everyone i want canada to have more geocaches so please take my Challange.

It is Simply like the title says HIDE ONE FIND ONE.

It really is up to you how to do this but i am hiding a small cache in a larger one and hopeing the these finders will take and hide them as well.I also am hopeing to here about them here on this thred.

i'll start

Found Don't Get Blown Away by WD65 (GC23X0B)

Placed - Rock Wall GC23Z4C

K it is your turn.

I think the idea has definite merit for some areas and not so much for others. For an area with only a few hundred caches I can see it being of value. A person could go through a couple hundred caches in a year no problemo, and then what?

I would not want to see it here though as we already have too many caches to count, with way too many poorly hidden or otherwise poorly maintained. I am coming up on placing my first cache in the next few months and I'm looking at a pretty good drive to find an area that isn't already saturated.

Hopefully the people who take part in your effort will take a little pride and thought into placement and maintenance. It's all well and good to shove a L&L into a hole in a tree and walk away, but I think a person should be dedicated to preserving whatever cache they place, and not everyone is going to have the right mind set. It's those people who affect the cachers who come later.

For me, my first cache (or any cache) I place will be a source of pride and I want a quality hide that people will really get off on as opposed to just seeing my box 'O tupperware listed on the net.

I say go for it, but I cannot participate here.

I love this passion.I am going geocaching and loving it and spring cant come soon enough. In my little town we have lots of caches out in the bush and very few close ones. In mountains 2miles either side of us can be quite dangerous and dont recomend that any newbies try the in town challenges that would not endanger themselfs or others.If your area has bad caches hope you can find away to improve them our area rocks. My wife and I have maintained some drop off cache hides and have met some great pepole from coast to coast while looking for other caches. We enjoy this thing of yours.

I will try my best to place Quality Caches everytime i find one in my area. if yours has lots and not many great ones try and help make them better if you want or can.I wish everyone happy caching i mean this is a great game and we should all just try and have fun however we play.

Crossing in Style by WD65 (GC23VHW)

Hid Here I am by Elementry (GC23YZR)

;)

Edited by Elementry

The Geocachers' Creed is designed to help orient new players to the ethos of the geocaching community and to guide experienced players in questionable situations, so that everyone can enjoy geocaching!

When placing or seeking geocaches, I will:

Not endanger myself or others

Observe all laws & rules of the area

Respect property rights and seek permission where appropriate

Avoid causing disruptions or public alarm

Minimize my and others' impact on the environment

Be considerate of others

Protect the integrity of the game pieces

Further Explanation: Following are examples of how to apply the Creed. These are only examples and not part of the Creed - not every contingency can be spelled out. If something is not specifically listed in the examples, you should consider the intent expressed in the main tenets in making a decision.

...Not Endanger Myself or Others

Like any outdoor activity, geocaching involves some inherent risk and many geocachers enjoy manageable risks. Minimize inordinate risks.

When creating a cache, describe any hidden dangers and, if possible, arrange the hunt to minimize these dangers.

When seeking a cache, know your limitations and be aware of your surroundings. Don't attempt anything beyond your abilities.

A cache you own, or one you're trading out of, could be found by children or even a prisoner work crew - consider the location of the cache and those likely to find it when deciding what to leave as a trade item.

...Observe All Laws and Rules of the Area

Don’t break the law or rules of an area, or encourage others to do so, when placing or seeking a cache.

Don't leave illegal items in a cache.

...Respect Property Rights and Seek Permission Where Appropriate

Check if permission is required before placing a cache on private property, and respect the landowner's wishes.

Check if public land has a geocaching policy and respect existing policies.

Promptly remove your cache if the land manager or steward asks.

Do not damage, or interfere with the function of, buildings, structures, or signage.

...Avoid Causing Disruptions or Public Alarm

Don’t place a cache near schools or government buildings unless the administration and staff are fully aware of the placement.

Use caution where children play. Parents are understandably concerned when strangers are near their children.

Don’t place a cache near critical infrastructure that might be considered a terrorist target, or create a cache that could be mistaken for a terrorist device (e.g. a pipe bomb).

...Minimize My and Others' Impact on the Environment

Follow Leave No Trace ethics whenever possible.

When seeking a cache, practice "Lift, Look, Replace" - put all stones or logs back where you found them. Leave the area as you found it or better (e.g. pick up litter).

Obtain the best possible coordinates for your cache to reduce unwarranted wear on the area. Recheck and correct your coordinates if finders report significant errors.

Do not abandon a cache.

If you stop maintaining a cache, remove the container, archive its listing and explain the disposition of the cache in your archive note, or put it up for adoption or rescue.

If you de-list a cache on one host, but keep it on another, make sure you mention this in the archive note to prevent rescues of active caches.

...Be Considerate of Others

Treat other geocachers civilly - in the field, in the forums, or wherever your paths may cross.

Don't spoil the hunt for others - allow them to experience the cache as its owner intended.

Avoid leaving tracks to the cache. Do not disrupt the cache area or mark the hiding spot.

Minimize giving unsolicited clues that reveal the cache (i.e. "spoilers").

Don't provide any hints if the cache description asks you not to. In all other cases, be cryptic or encrypt any hints or spoilers you enter in online logs.

Edit your log if the cache owner requests that you remove spoilers.

Promptly alert the owner of any issues with their cache. Make minor repairs if you can, it will save the owner a trip.

Cache owners appreciate feedback - write an online log, send an email, or otherwise let the owner know about your experience with their cache.

Only place caches you can maintain and respond promptly to problem reports.

If you exchange trade items, trade kindly: Consider what future finders would like and leave something equal to or better than what you take.

If you place a traveling item into the game, attach a tag that describes its goal, so that others can help it along. If you pick up a traveling item with a tag describing its goal, move the item toward its goal if possible. Contact the owner if you hold a traveling item for more than a couple of weeks or so.

Obtain permission from the originator before copying unique themes and techniques, adding to an existing series of caches, or placing a cache close to another.

...Protect the Integrity of the Game Pieces

The owner entrusts you to not damage or jeopardize the cache. Try to ensure the cache is ready for the next finder and is as good as or better than you found it.

Make sure the container is properly closed to prevent the contents from getting wet or destroyed.

Be inconspicuous in retrieving, signing in, and replacing a cache to avoid vandalism.

Put the cache back where you found it and hide it well. Don’t move a cache - if you suspect the cache is not in the intended spot, hide it the best you can and alert the owner as soon as possible.

Don’t collect traveling items meant to stay in the game. This is tantamount to stealing.

Don’t tamper with or involve a game piece in "alternate" games without the owner’s permission.

One argument here is providing a cache container leads to a lame hide. This may be true, may not be true.

I just put out evil caches with containers that I win ;)

See GC1R1JK

While I don't mind 'evil' caches... actually might prefer them, at least hard ones...

I may be down that way this Spring for a wedding... if so... I'll be there, either coming or going.

Anyway... I think you have the best approach. These days seed caching is probably done by the method of giving away good, if basic, caches as prizes at various events... those are frequent, or as FTF rewards (although I'm not sure FTFers need them as much, they could reuse them as prizes somewhere else or gifts).

That would raise the quality, create an opportunity to explain 'better' cache placements, if it were known to be a fairly new recipient (I'm not an expert yet... but I have reasons for not placing right now.. I do look after a few for absentee/long distance placers) I do think I have a good grasp of what I will do IF I ever win one.. So I don't think the will isn't there to do better generally... people like to find better caches of any mark.

I hope to get up to the CNP again when the weather gets better, or my car improves in reliability [thats for elementry]

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

...If your area has bad caches hope you can find away to improve them our area rocks. ...

I should qualify my statement by adding that most of the caches are okay, and the ones I have found that are water-logged or otherwise in disrepair have been a small percentage of the overall scheme of things. They just happen to reside in what I would consider prime locations.

There are however many that I will not seek for the simple fact that many log posts indicate that the owners either take too long to get out and maintain, or they just don't seem to care. If I see a half dozen posts over a few month span where people indicate that the cache is in disrepair I will most likely bypass that one until the CO does something about it. I have no desire to sign a soggy log book or find some piece of junk in the woods just to pad my find count.

Those are the ones that kinda sour the mash so to speak. When there are a few hundred cachers in one area looking for a possible hiding spot, I think the onus is on COs to be vigilant about the state of their caches or give up the spot so others can have a shot at it.

My first cache will likely be a back country placement, but there are a few in town that I have my eye on and will hopefully inherit a spot once these derelict caches can be archived.

Anyway, I am derailing here so back to the original topic. :)