Cover or Holder for Garmin Nuvis (500s)

flipjargendy

After doing a few caches and using my Garmin Nuvi 500 outdoors, I have been wondering if what others do with their Nuvi units. Is there some type of holder that you can use or do you put it in your pocket?

The annoying thing with the Nuvi 500 at least, is that you cannot lock the screen. So in your pocket, the screen can be touched. Since it is a touch screen this could become a problem.

Just curious what others do with their units. If there is a holder out there that is convenient for caching. I have put it in my pack a few times but then I have to take it off and put it back on.

Thanks for input!

Most of the time I just shove mine in my coat pocket. It's a matter of seconds to get back to the screen I was on, if the screen does get pushed by mistake.

If it's raining I put it in a sandwich bag.

I bought a cheap camera case (from a pound shop) to put it in to protect it when it goes in my bag, sometimes I keep it in that hung round my neck whilst I'm caching when the weather is warmer and I don't have a coat on.

Most of the time I just shove mine in my coat pocket. It's a matter of seconds to get back to the screen I was on, if the screen does get pushed by mistake.

If it's raining I put it in a sandwich bag.

I bought a cheap camera case (from a pound shop) to put it in to protect it when it goes in my bag, sometimes I keep it in that hung round my neck whilst I'm caching when the weather is warmer and I don't have a coat on.

All great ideas. Since mine is waterproof I just carry it around like normal when it rains/snows. But keeping it in a camera bag, great idea! Also, I will keep it in a zip lock when I put it in my backpack... keep it safe from ink or whatever liquids or scratchy things could be in there.

Will try to think of some other things... I might have an idea that involves sewing... I can't wait to try!

I use a Garmin Nuvi 750 until I upgrade to a handheld. I got a Navigon case at Staples, I think it was about $14.00. That said, I usually just stick it in my pocket. When I finish logging I look to see what page it has moved to by bumping the touch screen, then I use the back button repeatedly until I get back to the map.

So far I only cache in good weather so being waterproof is not a concern. I have only dropped it once, luckily no damage at all :tongue: