Geocaching in non-English-speaking countries

buzzkimball

I'm sure this has been addressed ad nauseam somewhere, but I haven't found it. I will be traveling to Belgium and Germany soon (from my home in Australia) and would love to do some geocaching while there, but will I assume I'll have to grapple with descriptions and hints in Flemish and German, which I don't speak very well. Any wisdom to impart? In case it's a factor, I have been using the iPhone application. But I don't want to invest in a GPS yet if I won't be able to read instructions. Thanks.

I'm sure this has been addressed ad nauseam somewhere, but I haven't found it. I will be traveling to Belgium and Germany soon (from my home in Australia) and would love to do some geocaching while there, but will I assume I'll have to grapple with descriptions and hints in Flemish and German, which I don't speak very well. Any wisdom to impart? In case it's a factor, I have been using the iPhone application. But I don't want to invest in a GPS yet if I won't be able to read instructions. Thanks.

Online translating tools are available(like Google Language tools) you'd have to do a bit of work though to use them

Living in France I get this problem on a regular basis. I use Google page translation which works reasonably well with one major problem.

Sometimes it tends to rearrange some calculations when doing multies or ? caches. A couple of times the results have been miles adrift. Otherwise it's not bad and sometimes quite funny but damned frustrating.

a lot of CO put english descriptions too for their caches

you could just pick those

also you don't always need the description

and for "hints", when i was in netherlands i just asked people on the street to translate for me lol

Edited by t4e