New annoying thing since the site update

bittsen

It used to be that when a cache had no hint, the Colorado didn't have a hint button for the cache.

NOW, since the site update, there is a hint button for all caches but when there is no hint it says "There is no hint available for this cache". This has to have been added in with the site upgrade and is completely worthless. I don't know of anyone in the geocaching community that thinks a hint of "no hint available" is useful. It's really more of a nuisance than anything else.

Looking at older GPX files on my computer, the old code would strip the "hints" field from the GPX file if the field was empty. Now there is a blank "hint" field that is downloaded in the gpx file.

If there is a blank hint field the garmin appears to automatically add the "There is no hint available for this cache" text to the field.

Please go back to stripping the hint field from the gpx file when it is empty.

Edited by bittsen

i always had a link for hints behaving exactly as you describe

On a garmin colorado?

Do you run them through GSAK?

no, i have a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N560 (PDA) with BeeLine GPS for caching

From what I am to understand, the Colorado was unique in that it wouldn't show a hint option in the menu if there was no hint. Now that there is an empty field for the hint, the Colorado is operating like all the other units.

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to find a GSAK macro to eliminate the hint field completely when it's empty but I shouldn't have to do that.

i never used anything else except for my PDA, i'm so used to it and the format, which when i go into the cache descriptions shows me the same thing as the regular cache page does but only the last five logs, i am kinda scared of the day it will "die" and will have to use something else

It has all ways been there.

On a garmin colorado? Yes

Do you run them through GSAK? NO

Interesting, It's new on mine.

I tried an old gpx file and a new one, just to compare. It's definately a new thing. I even opened up the gpx file to be sure and when there is no hint, there is no <Groundspeak:encoded_hints> </Groundspeak:encoded_hints> in older gpx files that have no hints. Newer hintless files have them

Edited by bittsen

I tried an old gpx file and a new one, just to compare. It's definately a new thing. I even opened up the gpx file to be sure and when there is no hint, there is no <Groundspeak:encoded_hints> </Groundspeak:encoded_hints> in older gpx files that have no hints. Newer hintless files have them

Firmware difference, maybe?

Firmware difference, maybe?

Don't know. It's been "normal" since I got the Colorado through 4 firmware updates (including beta). My friend has the same thing with his colorado.

I think the main difference might be that I run through GSAK and maybe GSAK strips the hint field if it's not included in the PQ or gpx file. Now that there is a field, maybe GSAK aoutomatically exports it and the Colorado treats it the way it does.