Premium membership and gsak help

ProHopper

I am a noob but I have really taken to geocaching, I have just upgraded to a premium membership and also paid for the GSAK program. Now I need help using them to do what they are intended to do. It seems as if the instructions are very vague and if someone could get me steered in the right direction it would be awesome! :(

You Are The Worlds Best Moderator!

I got the membership and the gsak to get more details on the trail but evidently it has to get much more complicated first!

Here is a step by step guide for noobs and GSAK.

1) Build a pocket query (hereafter called PQ) and have it sent to your Email http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

2) Unzip the PQ file that Geocaching sends

3) Open GSAK

4) Drag the GPX files from the unzipped file into a new database in GSAK

5) Use the "send waypoints" function under the "GPS" tab in GSAK to send the files (with descriptions and logs if your GPS supports it) to your GPS

Go caching.

I got the membership and the gsak to get more details on the trail but evidently it has to get much more complicated first!

1) Build a pocket query (hereafter called PQ) and have it sent to your Email http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

3) Open GSAK

5) Use the "send waypoints" function under the "GPS" tab in GSAK to send the files (with descriptions and logs if your GPS supports it) to your GPS

Go caching.

All I ever do is right click the file I get from Groundspeak and select open with GSAK. No need to unzip first.

3) Open GSAK

Go caching.

All I ever do is right click the file I get from Groundspeak and select open with GSAK. No need to unzip first.

I suppose that works if you don't have the file sent to you in zipped form. (or does GSAK open the zipped file?)

GSAK opens zip files.

In fact, GSAK will go to your email, find the PQ emails, get the data and delete the emails. All with two mouse clicks.

Interesting. It just goes to show you that I fall somewhere into the realm between total noob and geek when it comes to GSAK.

I've got a few tricks but there's a lot more to learn about it.

I suppose that works if you don't have the file sent to you in zipped form. (or does GSAK open the zipped file?)

Yes, GSAK opens the zipped files. In fact, it's easier to let GSAK open the zipped file because the zipped file contains two files...one for caches and one for the child waypoints.

GSAK supports drag and drop, so if the GSAK shortcut or application is on one's desktop, all one has to do is drag the zipped file onto the GASK icon and GSAK launches and asks which database it should import the zipped PQ file into.

Well after reading about 30 or 40 pages and being redirected around 100 times trying to find out how to install this macro thing to make the gsak thing that was supposed to go along with the premium membership and everything was supposed to be so cool and easy! I think I was wanting to get into this for fun but it seems to me you need to be a computer programmer to figure this s*** out! Way Frustrating!

Well after reading about 30 or 40 pages and being redirected around 100 times trying to find out how to install this macro thing to make the gsak thing that was supposed to go along with the premium membership and everything was supposed to be so cool and easy! I think I was wanting to get into this for fun but it seems to me you need to be a computer programmer to figure this s*** out! Way Frustrating!

To install a macro. Sometimes FAQ's really do have the answer.

It can be frustrating, I know. And also overly technical.

If you want, drop me an email thru my profile and I think that I can help get you going with a few basics.