Download all Geocaches of B.C.

Yeti & Schneehäsli

Hi All,

This spring we'll travel for a long time trough B.C. We're really looking forward to this trip - our first time in Canada! :(

But... We won't plan a fix route, so how can we download ALL Geocaches of B.C? I know the possibilities with "Pocket Queries", but this would be quite a hugh work to create so much queries till we have the whole B.C.

Is there another possibility to download all of them?

Thanks,

Yeti

I would recommend creating queries around the locals you know you are going to be visiting and perhaps a few routes for the longer trips you plan to take.

If you are really going free spirit then hopefully you can bring a laptop and create queries on the fly.

I guess nowadays though the best bet may be to just use your 3G phone & a geo app whenever the urge strikes. Of course if you plan to get out in to the wilderness this service may be inconsistent also.

I always found that planing my caches for a trip was all part of the fun of discovery of an area. If you hunt the website you will have better luck finding those true gems of a cache rather than lamp post caches (not that there's anything wrong with that! ) :(

Good Luck.

Edited by WCoaster

I would recommend creating queries around the locals you know you are going to be visiting and perhaps a few routes for the longer trips you plan to take.

If you are really going free spirit then hopefully you can bring a laptop and create queries on the fly.

I guess nowadays though the best bet may be to just use your 3G phone & a geo app whenever the urge strikes. Of course if you plan to get out in to the wilderness this service may be inconsistent also.

I always found that planing my caches for a trip was all part of the fun of discovery of an area. If you hunt the website you will have better luck finding those true gems of a cache rather than lamp post caches (not that there's anything wrong with that! ) :(

Good Luck.

Good advice.

Also, you can reduce the number of PQ's by only selecting caches you decide you are interested in finding. For example, when Lisdowney and I made a trip through New York, Ohio and Michigan to log the Fizzy Challenges, we decided we would only look for Earthcaches, Virtuals and Wherigo's.

So if you eliminate certain types or rating combos, you can make the process a bit more manageable.

Is this the time where I point out that Groundspeak does not condone such activities and that no one needs to have an offline database as described by the OP? Regardless of whatever reason you can dream up, no one ever needs to have all of that data.

:( CD

No, probably not yet

Running PQ's that eliminate the caches you don't want to go for (eg. multi's, micros, disabled) can reduce the number of PQ's. But you're still better off just to run a PQ for the area you're in once you are there.

Contacting cachers in the area you're going is a great idea - we did that for S'toon last year, and had the red carpet rolled out for us! If you're coming to the island, drop us a line!

You can also do route PQ's for caches in areas where you're just passing through.

Edited by doingitoldschool