Help connecting Legend to pc

GeoLeap

I'm trying to connect my old legend to a new pc and thanks to posts from this forum, I've gotten as far as having the usb to serial driver installed and recognized on COM5, but the computer doesn't see the legend, only the usb to serial. OS is Vista and the legend works on the desktop with the serial port with a different os. I've downloaded updates from the garmin website, but got nowhere since the computer doesn't see the legend. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Despite the adaptor being a USB, you may still need to tell some programmes/applications that it's a serial connection...

Daft, but it's what I had to do with my Legend GPS/Vista OS/USB adaptor set-up.

Edit to add:

The GPS doesn't show as being connected.

If the adaptor shows, you should be able to transfer data between the computor and GPS

Edited by Bear and Ragged

i have a legend and have had no problems.. i can even send caches to my gps wiht the web addon from here..

i've had my usb 2 serial adapter for quite some time.. on my netbook with win7 starter, i just googled the brand and was lucky.. they still exist and still sell the same adapter. i downloaded the win7 driver and am back in business.

my adapter is made by hawking.

i use streets and trips, expert gps, and the garmin tool from geocaching.com all with no problems.

what other hardware do ou have..

go into setup and change you INTERFACE to GARMIN. i think that is the only config option for the gps itself.

i was very supprised how well the web tool worked.. when browsing a cache, i just hook it up, turn on the gps and click send to gps.. it scans for it, finds it and sends it on in.

good luck

I'm trying to connect my old legend to a new pc and thanks to posts from this forum, I've gotten as far as having the usb to serial driver installed and recognized on COM5, but the computer doesn't see the legend, only the usb to serial. OS is Vista and the legend works on the desktop with the serial port with a different os. I've downloaded updates from the garmin website, but got nowhere since the computer doesn't see the legend. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

You might want to try setting the USB-to-serial adapter to a lower COM port (1-4) and see if that helps.

You might want to try setting the USB-to-serial adapter to a lower COM port (1-4) and see if that helps.

yup - try that.

Also - don't expect the Legend to show as a device on your PC's OS.

Only the software that transfers anything to the legend will "see" it. Make certain both the software (GSAK, EasyGPS, Mapsource or whatever) are set to use the com port.