Nuvi Cache Favorites and POI's

Alan2

I just got a Nuvi 765.

1. I'm using GPSFILEDEPOT's program that uses GSAK to create the paperless cache POI's. Is there a max or practical limit for the POI's that you can create? What's the advantages and disadvantages of placing it the memory card or in the unit's memory?

2. Is there a way to get the POI cache icons to appear above 200 foot scale? Wight now I'm also creating cache waypoints as Favorites (up to 1000) so they show on the maps at all time while I'm driving around but that's double the work to load and it's limited to 1000 caches.

3. How do you get waypoints to loadback into the Nuvi so the favorites appear in their original sections? For example, if I find a restaurant that's saved a a Favorite, the Nuvi keeps it in the Food sub-folder. However, when I transfer the waypoint to Mapsourse in my computer, clear Favorite in the NUvi and then download the waypoint to the Nuvi from my computer, it just goes in the main Favorites folders. The sub-folder are "gone". How do you correct that?

Tks

Alan2

The way I load caches onto my nuvi (255w) is with gsak according to the directions here - http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html There is no practical limit to loading them as POIs. I have over 3500 caches loaded as POIs on my nuvi on the nuvi's memory (not on an external sd card), I've heard of people loading thousands more than that. I think you could probably literally load every single geocache in existence as a POI and you would have no problem with memory space.

As for seeing the POIs, you should be able to see them on the map at 300 ft and below. Of course you can also look at the POI list on the nuvi and it will show all the geocaches near you sorted by distance. You can also search through this list to find a specific geocache.

I'm not sure what your problem is with favorites. The way I load POIs on my nuvi (per http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html) has nothing to do with favorites, so my favorites are never messed up when I load the caches as POIs.

The way I load caches onto my nuvi (255w) is with gsak according to the directions here - http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html There is no practical limit to loading them as POIs. I have over 3500 caches loaded as POIs on my nuvi on the nuvi's memory (not on an external sd card), I've heard of people loading thousands more than that. I think you could probably literally load every single geocache in existence as a POI and you would have no problem with memory space.

As for seeing the POIs, you should be able to see them on the map at 300 ft and below. Of course you can also look at the POI list on the nuvi and it will show all the geocaches near you sorted by distance. You can also search through this list to find a specific geocache.

I'm not sure what your problem is with favorites. The way I load POIs on my nuvi (per http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html) has nothing to do with favorites, so my favorites are never messed up when I load the caches as POIs.

Once you have loaded the POI GC numbers in favorites how do you get rid of them? I hope it is not one by one.

Once you have loaded the POI GC numbers in favorites how do you get rid of them? I hope it is not one by one.

You can also use poi loader to clear off all of the POIs, if that's what you are trying to do.

I still don't have an answer to:

3. How do you get waypoints to loadback into the Nuvi so the favorites appear in their original sections? For example, if I find a restaurant that's saved a a Favorite, the Nuvi keeps it in the Food sub-folder. However, when I transfer the waypoint to Mapsourse in my computer, clear Favorite in the NUvi and then download the waypoint to the Nuvi from my computer, it just goes in the main Favorites folders. The sub-folder are "gone". How do you correct that?

To clarify, when I select a Favorite in the Nuvi, let's say a restaurant, it's put in a Favorite subfolder called Food. However, when I upload to Mapsourse, and clear all waypoints in the Nuvi and then download back into the Nuvi, all the various subfolders are goine. The restaurant appears with all the other waypoints in the main and only Favorite folder.

How do you get it to go back into the FOod sub-folder?

I'm missing something here because when I load poi's or clear my poi's it has no effect on my favorites. Favorites and poi's are 2 different things.

there might be different answers depending on unit?

I have a 200, the only way i have found to clear my favorate is to reboot which wipes out all user data. hold the right corner of the screen when turning on. that or one at a time. if someone else has a better solution would love to hear it.

There is no practical limit to loading them as POIs. I have over 3500 caches loaded as POIs on my nuvi on the nuvi's memory (not on an external sd card), I've heard of people loading thousands more than that. I think you could probably literally load every single geocache in existence as a POI and you would have no problem with memory space.

Sorry I can't help the OP with his query, but you have interested me with this comment. I have a Nuvi 205 but it doesn't have an external SD card. I load the co-ords for caches straight from the Garmin website, or individually from the cache pages on geocaching.com. I've found that the nuvi's memory does get full and they stop loading on to it even though it looks from the websites that they are being loaded. It seems to be full when "Favourites" has around 36 pages- so that's 144, this of course includes things like friends' addresses as well as the caches.

A couple of times, planning a trip to see friends, I have tried to download caches near where they live (100 or so miles away) and they have come on to the nuvi for a couple of days but by the time I needed them they had disappeared. Some of them did appear again at a later date when I had found some of the local caches and deleted them, but others have never re-appeared.

Could this be a fault with my Nuvi, do you think? Should I query it with Garmin?

There is no practical limit to loading them as POIs. I have over 3500 caches loaded as POIs on my nuvi on the nuvi's memory (not on an external sd card), I've heard of people loading thousands more than that. I think you could probably literally load every single geocache in existence as a POI and you would have no problem with memory space.

Sorry I can't help the OP with his query, but you have interested me with this comment. I have a Nuvi 205 but it doesn't have an external SD card. I load the co-ords for caches straight from the Garmin website, or individually from the cache pages on geocaching.com. I've found that the nuvi's memory does get full and they stop loading on to it even though it looks from the websites that they are being loaded. It seems to be full when "Favourites" has around 36 pages- so that's 144, this of course includes things like friends' addresses as well as the caches.

A couple of times, planning a trip to see friends, I have tried to download caches near where they live (100 or so miles away) and they have come on to the nuvi for a couple of days but by the time I needed them they had disappeared. Some of them did appear again at a later date when I had found some of the local caches and deleted them, but others have never re-appeared.

Could this be a fault with my Nuvi, do you think? Should I query it with Garmin?

Loading caches as POIs and not favorites is how you can virtually load an unlimited amount. See this webpage for directions on how to do so - http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html