Oregon 300 on EBay for $200

Looking for help from the pros, found an Oregon 300 on EBay for around $200, have read enough of the forums to think the 300 would be a good unit for me to own, but not sure of the pitfalls of buying used to save $100+ on the purchase. What should I ask the seller or be thinking about? Accessories? Manuals? How old? Versions? Maps? I have no clue.

TBC

Looking for help from the pros, found an Oregon 300 on EBay for around $200, have read enough of the forums to think the 300 would be a good unit for me to own, but not sure of the pitfalls of buying used to save $100+ on the purchase. What should I ask the seller or be thinking about? Accessories? Manuals? How old? Versions? Maps? I have no clue.

Mainly : any functional issues or cosmetic blemishes. And don't forget to include shipping in the price.

The retail unit comes with only a base map, and for accessories, out of the box it came with a carabiner clip and USB cable. No manual, only a "getting started" guide that's quite useless. Doesn't come with any software either.

I got mine last November for about $250 + tax, so $200 is a good, but not unbelievable deal, especially now that the 450 is out.

I would ask the seller if he has had a screen protector on the unit since he bought it.

Seller says there has been a screen protector on from Day 1 and the first of two photos has the protector on and then the second photo is without the screen protector. Description says the thing is pristine. Since I am dunce rank, is screen protector something one should use at all times?

Mainly : any functional issues or cosmetic blemishes. And don't forget to include shipping in the price.

The retail unit comes with only a base map, and for accessories, out of the box it came with a carabiner clip and USB cable. No manual, only a "getting started" guide that's quite useless. Doesn't come with any software either.

I got mine last November for about $250 + tax, so $200 is a good, but not unbelievable deal, especially now that the 450 is out.

The thing looks perfect from the photos.

If there are unbelievable deals, should I be considering the 450? I am fairly new to the sport but bewildered by all the forum discussions about various this and that and the other.

I have to date borrowed a modest old eTrex type thing from a friend but I want to invest in my own. I am not that budget constrained but I am not a high-tech 'natural' and I do try to enjoin my 10-yr old and so simplicity and ease of use are high priorities. We are in Pac NW and our first few outings I think we suffered from a lot of what seems to be known as DBD and intermittant reception issues, we're in the tall thick Doug Firs a lot of the time. One minute the thing said we were there, next minute we were half a mile away. So, reliability and reception quality would be good too. Am intrigued by all the paperless discussion but am not that far into the sport yet to know what is what, I do see it as a real nice thing real soon!

If there are unbelievable deals, should I be considering the 450? I am fairly new to the sport but bewildered by all the forum discussions about various this and that and the other.

I don't know how long before the 450 makes it to the shelves, and it won't be anywhere close to $200. I'm pretty happy with my Oregon 300. The 3D compass and more geocaches that can be loaded into it are nice, and any improvement in screen brightness would be welcome. Would you be willing to wait (esimate) a month and pay (estimate) $350? Tough call. I don't know what I'll do if I were in that situation.

According to many here, nothing beats a 60csx in terms of accuracy and ability to grab a signal under all sorts of conditions. It doesn't have paperless capability, though, and that was a deal killer for me.

I don't know how long before the 450 makes it to the shelves, and it won't be anywhere close to $200. I'm pretty happy with my Oregon 300. The 3D compass and more geocaches that can be loaded into it are nice, and any improvement in screen brightness would be welcome. Would you be willing to wait (esimate) a month and pay (estimate) $350? Tough call. I don't know what I'll do if I were in that situation.

According to many here, nothing beats a 60csx in terms of accuracy and ability to grab a signal under all sorts of conditions. It doesn't have paperless capability, though, and that was a deal killer for me.

I am in no hurry, if something great was due out next month and worth the wait, I'd wait. This time of year heading outside you are opportunistic at best....

Accuracy and grabbing signals is probably more important that the paperless capability for us, so maybe I should retrench and think 60csx, but paperless seems a likely wanted function too. I have seen all those attributes lauded over and over again although some have claimed the antenna of the 300 helps with signal reception in adverse (dense forest?) conditions.

I am worried about the screen brightness thing because I seem to hit that wall regularly with other devices and as much as I'd hate to admit it, onset of vision issues is making it all that much harder to see small stuff up close no matter what we're looking at. It is a shame to admit to having to bring the reading glasses along to scope out the routes in unfamiliar ski areas! Those maps are just too tiny for these old eyes!

That's a pretty good price for an Oregon 300, but keep in mind that you will not be able to take advantage of Garmin's guarantee - they don't honor it on eBay purchases. As far as screen "viewability" goes - some hate it and think it's too dim - I find that just moving my hand to adjust the viewing angle gives me excellent readability, and my eyes are currently on their 64th circumnavigation of the Sun :P.

Bill

Edited by 2Wheel'in

I would ask if it's stolen (do they have receipts for it).

And if it was the seller would say so? I have no idea where the receipt is for my GPSr, so I guess a potential buyer would have to assume it was stolen. :(

Caveat emptor and CYA

If you don't ask, you have no recourse if it ends up being stolen.

Thanks to all who chimed in with good advice. The unit ended up going for $280 plus shipping and at that price I didn't think it was worth the uncertainty about quality, wear and tear, warranty, lawful ownership and all other issues raised. Will continue the quest....

TBC

Any time you deal with Ebay you do have protecton. I do not know where this lawful ownership comes from. You check there feedback and make up your mind. When you posted it still had 1 day to go there was no way to think it would go that cheap. I have sold a lot and bought a lot on Ebay and never had a problem with something being stolen.

I would ask if it's stolen (do they have receipts for it).

And if it was the seller would say so? I have no idea where the receipt is for my GPSr, so I guess a potential buyer would have to assume it was stolen. :mellow:

Caveat emptor and CYA

If you don't ask, you have no recourse if it ends up being stolen.

I'm not sure that would protect the buyer--maybe. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, although some sellers might take offense.

BTW, I was in Portland for the first time back in Oct--cool city. It seems like a nice place to live. I looked for a few caches, but didn't have much time. Look forward to returning when I have more time.

I'm not sure that would protect the buyer--maybe. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, although some sellers might take offense.

BTW, I was in Portland for the first time back in Oct--cool city. It seems like a nice place to live. I looked for a few caches, but didn't have much time. Look forward to returning when I have more time.

If you come to Portland again, drop a line and I will tell you some of the best places to go for whatever interests you. It's a good city to visit.