Preserving log caches

slukster

I was curious as to what you would use to help preserve a real wood log that you cut a hole in to hide a cache? I imagine that if you don't use some sort of preservative it would eventually rot away. Thank you for your help.

That's exactly what happens. The one I had grew fungus due to being in a wet area. I would apply clear spray paint the next time.

It depends. I have a cache at 10,800 foot in elevation.

I know the fallen tree it sits under has been there (in its current state) for at least 30 years - doesn't look like it fell more than a year or 2 ago. Cache has been there for about 7.5 years. Everything still looks the same.

My 2nd hide sits under a fallen tree at 3,500 foot elevation near a river and about 20% of the top of it has rotted away in the 8 years the cache has been out there. Was planted just weeks after it fell over.

I personally would never use a preservative of any kind.

If the log is dry to start with how about giving it a couple coat's of thompson's water seal??

Work's great on my deck.It has to be re-sprayed or brushed on every couple years but if you are maintaining your cache it shouldn't be a problem.A gallon should last quite a few years if that's all you are using it on.Grub

cedar, has lots of property that helps it with longevity and smells nice too!

I think that treating the wood could only make the cache less natural and easier to find in that a fallen log that has moisture beaded up on it doesn't really fit with nature.

as others have said location will have as much to do with how well it lasts as waterproofing will.

bwmick