Armchair finds for Puzzle Caches

jbravo

I was going through the series "Puzzle Solving 101" recently which is located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It's a great series helping teach cachers how to figure out puzzle caches. I believe it's 9 or 10 caches in the set. Anyway, there are TONS of cachers chiming in with "FOUND IT" and then they admit in the log that they "found it remotely." ???!!! Many more stated "solved remotely" in a note, but didn't claim the find. What should be done about the false finds?

1) They aren't false finds...they count

2) The cache owner (CO) should remove the log

3) The CO should do nothing and leave it up to the individual. Some count it...some don't.

Thoughts?

I was going through the series "Puzzle Solving 101" recently which is located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It's a great series helping teach cachers how to figure out puzzle caches. I believe it's 9 or 10 caches in the set. Anyway, there are TONS of cachers chiming in with "FOUND IT" and then they admit in the log that they "found it remotely." ???!!! Many more stated "solved remotely" in a note, but didn't claim the find. What should be done about the false finds?

3) The CO should do nothing and leave it up to the individual. Some count it...some don't.

Thoughts?

It's an issue for the cache owner to deal with. I could care less what he does.

Edited by sbell111

Thoughts?

The owner, reviewer and the cachers that claimed finds on a cache they never touched should deal with it and everybody else not directly involved should just stand back and watch.

If you decide that you must do something, send the local reviewer a private note and bring it to their attention. Otherwise, you're risking a world of drama landing on your head.

So, when are going to give Get Shorty another go?

Thoughts?

Sorry, I should be more specific. I don't care what this guy does with his logs either...I was thinking more in reference to MY puzzle caches (which I've placed but haven't yet been published). I imagine I'll see some similar things. I'm guessing you agree that they are "false finds" then?

The owner, reviewer and the cachers that claimed finds on a cache they never touched should deal with it and everybody else not directly involved should just stand back and watch.

If you decide that you must do something, send the local reviewer a private note and bring it to their attention. Otherwise, you're risking a world of drama landing on your head.

I agree, see post above.

Ugh...I dunno. It's on my DNF list which bugs me...but two trips out there with absolutely zero luck is not enticing me to come back. haha. Can you give me some help on finding this one? I was FTF on the puzzle, but no where even close to FTF on the cache as I still can't find it! lol.

Sorry, I should be more specific. I don't care what this guy does with his logs either...I was thinking more in reference to MY puzzle caches (which I've placed but haven't yet been published). I imagine I'll see some similar things. I'm guessing you agree that they are "false finds" then?

Guidelines support deleting bogus finds. If I had a clear indication that somebody didn't actually find the cache, I'd delete the log with maybe a note to the cacher as to why I deleted the log.

If they specifically mentioned in their log that they logged it as found without actually being there then I would press the delete button ever-so-slightly firmer. And roll my eyes.

Thoughts?

I recognize the CO as having a few hundred posts around here. I bet they'll eventually chime in.

In my opinion, the word is out on these caches as an educational tool, and the CO is OK with the remote puzzle finds. There has been at least one other "remote puzzle find" thread around here in the past year. I'd personally consider this practice lame and cheesy, and would never engage in it myself. But whatever people want to do, they can do, I suppose.

Ugh...I dunno. It's on my DNF list which bugs me...but two trips out there with absolutely zero luck is not enticing me to come back. haha. Can you give me some help on finding this one? I was FTF on the puzzle, but no where even close to FTF on the cache as I still can't find it! lol.

I'll send you a PM and we can discuss it off the forums (and keep things on-topic). I'm certainly willing to throw you a bone.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I'd personally consider this practice lame and cheesy, and would never engage in it myself. But whatever people want to do, they can do, I suppose.

My thoughts exactly. A half a smiley isn't a smiley at all. ;) ...well, on the Mona Lisa it's actually quite valuable, but that's another matter altogether.

I recognize the CO as having a few hundred posts around here. I bet they'll eventually chime in.

In my opinion, the word is out on these caches as an educational tool, and the CO is OK with the remote puzzle finds. There has been at least one other "remote puzzle find" thread around here in the past year. I'd personally consider this practice lame and cheesy, and would never engage in it myself. But whatever people want to do, they can do, I suppose.

Regardless if the CO is okay with it, I kind of doubt TPTB are okay with it.

Regardless if the CO is okay with it, I kind of doubt TPTB are okay with it.

I'm not so sure, nothing happened with the last remote puzzle find thread. ;)

Ya know, almost all the remote finds for a smiley seem pretty new, and most older remote solvers have notes posted. Maybe the CO periodically sends out emails and/or has missed a couple. Just speculation, of course.

Thoughts?

Known armchair finds on my caches get deleted.

Clearly you have nothing to add to the conversation so why reply? I've participated in a lot of forums over the years and this one has the most snarky comments ever :unsure:

Sounds like I need to check out this series :) I was about to post a new thread asking if there were any puzzle caches guides out there on common puzzles, etc before starting to tackle some in my area.

Edited by Opalblade

Instead of littering the comments with whiny comments about how mean everyone is, why not just ignore them?

Clearly you have nothing to add to the conversation so why reply? I've participated in a lot of forums over the years and this one has the most snarky comments ever :unsure:

Sounds like I need to check out this series :) I was about to post a new thread asking if there were any puzzle caches guides out there on common puzzles, etc before starting to tackle some in my area.

Thoughts?

How can someone log a find on an unpublished cache? Don't only owners & reviewers have access to those caches?

Instead of littering the comments with mean comments about how whiny you think others are, why not just ignore them?

Yeah that was definitely a waste of type :unsure: (ie. I concede your point, but it is frustrating to see so many unfriendly comments that aren't bad enough to warrant moderation, but likely scaring some from posting their questions).

Edited by Opalblade

How can someone log a find on an unpublished cache? Don't only owners & reviewers have access to those caches?

I'm assuming he meant after they were published.

Instead of littering the comments with mean comments about how whiny you think others are, why not just ignore them?

Yeah that was definitely a waste of type :)

Instead of littering the comments with whiny comments about how mean everyone is, why not just ignore them?

Sounds like I need to check out this series :D I was about to post a new thread asking if there were any puzzle caches guides out there on common puzzles, etc before starting to tackle some in my area.

Fixed the quote tags for you. Could you take it to PMs, please?

Sounds like I need to check out this series :D I was about to post a new thread asking if there were any puzzle caches guides out there on common puzzles, etc before starting to tackle some in my area.

Hahaha, you guys need to join in all the fun in the Pet Peeves discussion. ;) Plenty of us are being snarky over there. LOL!

I'm so glad these quotes are finally fixed...such a peeve!

I'm assuming he meant after they were published.

Correct

I'm still kind of curious as to why opalblade thought that post was so mean. Edited by sbell111

It's not really news that participating in an internet forum sometimes requires a thick skin.

Often, the snarky comments are intended to get a response, so when you comment to complain about them, you're actually providing positive reinforcement.

Yeah that was definitely a waste of type :unsure: (ie. I concede your point, but it is frustrating to see so many unfriendly comments that aren't bad enough to warrant moderation, but likely scaring some from posting their questions).