Needing help with a benchmark

cinderbike

This benchmark is sitting in a local museum, dug up (according to the curator) about 5 years ago. They didn't even know what it was, but I snapped a quick picture with my phone. I've tried looking it up on the databases, but I can't find any marks with both the "UNION" designation and a matching year.

Does anyone have some suggestions? Worst case, I suppose I'll have to contact NGS directly.

http://sacina.com/unlinked/benchmark.jpg

Image linked because it's larger than I thought it'd be.

Thanks in advance.

DX4646 is a likely candidate. Stamping matches and it's location seems to fit your location (you're near Cal State Fullerton right?). Someone else logged that they thought they saw DX4646's disk in the Olinda Oil Museum.

I also found a DX4644 that is in the same area but dates to 1958, so I would have to think it's one of them. Thanks! (And yeah, CSUF area)

Well, since I'm the guy that couldn't find the station mark where it was supposed to be, I guess I should get picture of it in the museum, and send it to Deb Brown so she can mark it destroyed. There seems to me no doubt that is the right mark, although the crew that reset it in 1957 must have had older file data about the original UNION from 1938 (nothing in the NGS Database about that one, even the destroyed UNION marks). Obviously it's destroyed if it's sitting in the museum. The main problem is finding the museum open. It's very understaffed. I hike their trail at least once a month, and I haven't seen them open in a long time, so I guess cinderbike was lucky. I'll keep trying....

If this is the case, I'd probably submit a NF recovery report saying "No evidence of mark found at site, but underground mark could remain. Disk with this stamping found in xxxxx museum appears to be the surface mark.

That way all options are still open and the facts have been recorded.