For newbies that don't know what "typical" is!

Leleboo_05

I've come across a couple of caches i want to check out (but trying my best to be organized before wandering aimlessly) and a few of them aren't so helpful to those of us just starting out. Terms such as "typical for parking lots" or "typical for this type of structure" are really confuzzling me. I've gone out twice to three different locations with no luck yet, even after researching containers. A nudge in the right direction would really help out alot!

Thanks a bunch

LeLe

Hello There LeLe,

Speaking from the UK I think our parking area's are different from your parking lots so I'll not comment on them. As far as structures are concerned typically/usually/likely/sometimes the hiding places are very similar for any given structure. A tree might have a cache in the roots on in a hollow or opening. A small bridge might typically have something hidden under it, especially if the hint refers to where Trolls live. A metal structure might have a magnetic container attached, with a hint stuck on you.

Regards

Bernard

PS What caches have you looked for, GC number's please.

Edited by bcnorwich

Terms such as "typical for parking lots"

I would look under the skirt of the lamp posts. Seems that's the very genuine way of hiding a micro. :blink:

"typical for this type of structure"

Depends on the structure. A metal mast: Look for something magnetic. Like a film canister with a magnet.

Lamp post: check the skirt on the bottom of it.

GermanSailor

G'morning LeLe,

We were hunting for over a month before another cacher took pity on a parking lot DNF and let us in on the lamp post secret. Going back and logging that cache was a treat. Now lamp post hides are lika a bologna and white bread sandwich, they fill a void but nothing to get excited about.

My advise is to just go look- it's fun in itself. Post your DNF's the cache owner or next finder may very well send a hint to you. The more DNF's the better the chances, if I log a find and notice someone has been trying to find the cache MOST of the time I will send a hint. Sometimes the cache is designed not to be found, and I think hints from anyone other than the CO would be inappropriate. Avoid caches with the word "evil" in the description for a while.

Good luck!

G'morning LeLe,

We were hunting for over a month before another cacher took pity on a parking lot DNF and let us in on the lamp post secret. Going back and logging that cache was a treat. Now lamp post hides are lika a bologna and white bread sandwich, they fill a void but nothing to get excited about.

My advise is to just go look- it's fun in itself. Post your DNF's the cache owner or next finder may very well send a hint to you. The more DNF's the better the chances, if I log a find and notice someone has been trying to find the cache MOST of the time I will send a hint. Sometimes the cache is designed not to be found, and I think hints from anyone other than the CO would be inappropriate. Avoid caches with the word "evil" in the description for a while.

Good luck!

The CO should always be the one to decide if hints are to be given and when. I do agree on the DNFs though. You log your finds. You log bug drops. Why not log your DNFs? ANd leave 'em if you go back and find the cache later. No reason to delete 'em or change 'em.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I haven't actually attempted the ones that say "typical" yet, i wanted to make sure i had an idea of what and where i was looking.

The "typical" ones are GC1FJEH and GC1FJTY. Come sit a spell is a gazebo in town, and i want a new drug is a parking lot of a drugstore. I know the area, just don't know where to begin looking for a container.

Thanks for the insight about the lamp skirts, i never would have thought to look there!!

Oh, and if any of you seasoned cachers have anymore tips or advice, i'd love to hear them!

Thanks again!

LeLe

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I haven't actually attempted the ones that say "typical" yet, i wanted to make sure i had an idea of what and where i was looking.

The "typical" ones are GC1FJEH and GC1FJTY. Come sit a spell is a gazebo in town, and i want a new drug is a parking lot of a drugstore. I know the area, just don't know where to begin looking for a container.

Thanks for the insight about the lamp skirts, i never would have thought to look there!!

Oh, and if any of you seasoned cachers have anymore tips or advice, i'd love to hear them!

Thanks again!

LeLe

One of those caches describes the type of container you're looking for but both listings tell you the size of the container and the difficulty/terrain of the hide (determined by the person that hid it). That can often tell you where you might want to search. If the size is listed as a micro you most likely limit your search to ares which only have room for a very small container. When the terrain is a 1.5 or less that would tell you that you're probably not going to be climbing a tree or up/down a steep embankment.

I'm not exactly sure what a typical hide is in a gazebo as I've found several caches in gazebo's hidden in a variety of manners (including one that I hid myself). Learning what is "typical" for your area can really only happen through experience, and frankly, I wish there were a lot fewer caches placed with the assumption that they're primarily going to be found by those already active in the local community. Someone just entering the game as you're doing, or someone traveling through the area may have no idea what "typical" means in the local environment.

I'd be interested in hearing what "typical" for a gazebo is (regardless of where you're located--just think it'd help knowing where people have found them!)

I have found them underneath the gazebo, high up along the ledge just under the roof line, and wedged under a lower railing. I'm not sure that there *is* a typical location, although some areas might have only 1-2 cachers that hide caches and gazebo might might result in a pattern.

I'd be interested in hearing what "typical" for a gazebo is (regardless of where you're located--just think it'd help knowing where people have found them!)

I have found them underneath the gazebo, high up along the ledge just under the roof line, and wedged under a lower railing. I'm not sure that there *is* a typical location, although some areas might have only 1-2 cachers that hide caches and gazebo might might result in a pattern.

Yes "typical" gazebo hides around here seem to be where the roof meets the header and tucked in next to the rafter. .. usually to the left of the entrance, unless the hider is left handed. :P

i want a new drug is a parking lot of a drugstore.

Is there a lamp post there? Peek under it's skirt.

I went back there last night. Boyfriend needed pictures developed, i suggested he stop there and i'd "wait in the jeep". He comes out to me lifting the skirt :P and puts me back in the jeep exclaiming "you're gonna get arrested!!!" He swears that he's installed lamp posts before and the skirts are supposed to be secured down. If i'm hindering anything by UN-securing it, its illegal. Now, i wasn't climbing posts or unscrewing anything, i barely lifted it up. Could i really get arrested for searching for this stuff??

Oh yeah, he no longer supports my new hobby, and refuses to so much as hear the word caching anymore :lol:

Those concrete stop bars sometimes have rebar in them...and we have seen micros attached to that more than once.

Your poor boyfriend.......so geocaching makes him blush, eh? The lampost skirts in our region of Canada can be raised in some instances - if they can't they're left alone. If a police officer did happen along while you are searching, you just tell them the truth and explain geocaching to them. They'll understand I am sure. The boyfriend will get over it - I hope!