Lame So Far

KoolAidWino

Just got a etrex vista hcx and I am a newbie. I am good with computers and so far this a ridiculous.

I need to load maps apparently, 200, bucks and you get some lines for roads.

So I am downloading all these free maps.

No spells this out.

How do you get these working? Manual is useless, just lame so far.

Just overall weak.

as with PCs it is usually the users fault but come on it couldn't be any harder to get get started.

What step are you stuck with?

This one details how to load maps from mapsource onto your GPSr.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

If you're downloading your maps from GPSFileDepot, the procedure seems to be:

1. Install mapsource

2. Run the map EXE to install maps into mapsource

3. Run mapsource

4. Select map

5. Select map tiles by using the tool that looks like an irregular shape (between "arrow to GPS" and "magnifying glass" - step 5 of the tutorial linked above). NOT the arrow selection tool. Use the tool to draw a box to select multiple tiles.

6. Send to GPS.

Maps are not necessary at all for geocaching, generally speaking. The Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only come with a basic basemap. It doesn't come with detailed street nor topographic maps. The Garmin web site has details specification lists for all it's GPS units.

However, if you are downloading free maps, the site from which you are downloading (you didn't specify which site) should have instructions on how ot load them to the GPS unit.

What information are you looking for that you feel is missing from the manual? Perhaps someone can be of assistance.

I would like just to load a street map to get started. So far mapsource is worthless. I am sure it would be easy if I shell out another 100.

With an Oregon street maps is easy. No need for mapsource. But that doesn't help you...

Did you try out the method I outlined above? Is any step giving you trouble? Remember, you need to select the map you want to upload in step 4.

Edited by Chrysalides

Maps are not necessary at all for geocaching, generally speaking. The Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only come with a basic basemap. It doesn't come with detailed street nor topographic maps. The Garmin web site has details specification lists for all it's GPS units.

However, if you are downloading free maps, the site from which you are downloading (you didn't specify which site) should have instructions on how ot load them to the GPS unit.

What information are you looking for that you feel is missing from the manual? Perhaps someone can be of assistance.

I select a section and nothing, zero, zilch action.

I would like just to load a street map to get started. So far mapsource is worthless. I am sure it would be easy if I shell out another 100.

With an Oregon street maps is easy. No need for mapsource. But that doesn't help you...

Did you try out the method I outlined above? Is any step giving you trouble? Remember, you need to select the map you want to upload in step 4.

Ok got some action going but let me simplify, catching on some.

1. I would like a basic street map so me and the kid can going geocaching locally and thus learn this and build up our knowledge.

I have been at this game for just over six years now and have never used anything but the base map that came with my Garmin 76cs and a free map of Washington State roads I downloaded. This setup has worked well for me. You don't need a bunch of fancy maps to go find caches.

I have been at this game for just over six years now and have never used anything but the base map that came with my Garmin 76cs and a free map of Washington State roads I downloaded. This setup has worked well for me. You don't need a bunch of fancy maps to go find caches.

This piece of garbage just has the major roads, no minoir streets. Now that i have looked around it was a waste of money I can use Google maps.

How can I get a basic map on this thing? This has to be simple.

This piece of garbage just has the major roads, no minoir streets. Now that i have looked around it was a waste of money I can use Google maps.

How can I get a basic map on this thing? This has to be simple.

Like I said probably the user. I should zoom in on the mapsource map. Like from 400ft. Lame usr here, school of hard knocks.

Saga continues thanks for putting up with me so far

Ok got some action going but let me simplify, catching on some.

1. I would like a basic street map so me and the kid can going geocaching locally and thus learn this and build up our knowledge.

My advice won't be helpful with the exact problem, but I'd suggest just heading out without the maps in the unit. You know your way around town, Right?