Downloadable maps

The map is called City Nav North America NT Canada only. I downloaded it directly from the garmin site with an SD card in my Colorado, as the web site said the colorado memory was insufficient and it gave me an option to download to an sd card so I did.

Edited by choochoo1996

Ok, I asked the wrong question here.

By name I mean the name of the map on the SD

is it called gmapsupp.img?

You are sure it is intended to load in the Gps/Sd/

Once downloaded, did you select the maps via the Colorado menu mapselect.

Did you download the map to the Sd:\Garmin folder? You might have to make this folder yourself, if the map is on the wrong place the gps does not see it.

That might be, but if you don't select the map in the gps or the map is in the wrong place it won't work.

But reading your answer, you better look for somebody to help you out at least with the folder part.

:)

DO NOT format your sd again, garmin might say you got your map we don't sent anymore.

yes it is there on the sd card but I cant select it on my gps as it only shows the basemap as a map option. how do I access the sd card in my gps to get the map onto my gps

If the IMG file is in the d:\Garmin folder, either on the GPS or the SD card, then it should see it. The GPS does not differentiate between the internal memory and the SD card...if it's in the correct folder, the GPS will see it.

Maps (IMG files) go in the d:\Garmin folder.

It does I ran that and a bunch of other updates a few times just to make sure everything was right.....I usb the gps to the computer when garmin asks without SD card in gps, click on download, garmin website says insufficient space as colorado only has 370mb or so and map is 484mb, but offers other options, as in sd card, so put 2gb sd card in gps, click other options from garmin website, garmin accepts option and begins download......2.5 forking hours( times 5 now).....when completed Garmin website says go to map options to confirm map transfer, go there and only available map is Basemap that came with gps, sd card is in gps with file but does not show up in map option page to select.....Sorry this was long....

Hook the thing up to your PC again. Make SURE that it is in sd:\Garmin\filename.img

Now, if your Oregon works like my Dakota, you need to go into Setup, Maps, and ENABLE it. I have the choice of enabling and disabling any of the maps I carry on the SD card of my Dakota 20 (including the basemap it came with). When I first move maps to my card, they are by default NOT enabled.

It does not show up in my Garmin folder, but I know 4 sure it is on the SD card, I pulled the SD card and checked it manually and it shows a file 484mb big...named canada_2010_30.img file on the SD card

If it's on the SD card but not in the d:\Garmin folder, just move it to the d:\Garmin folder.

Actually, it was the 2.94beta software that first introduced the ability to load a map which had been renamed. So, as long as your software version is newer than 2.95 you should be able to read the map regardless of the name...if it's in the d:\Garmin folder.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record with the d:\Garmin thing...but I recently offered help to someone who disregarded the folder name and figured if the file was somewhere on the unit memory, or SD card, that it would load. There are specific folders for all of the files on your GPS...if it's in the wrong folder, it won't be seen.

Hey fegan, I do have a garmin folder in C: but not D: that would be the same right

I'm assuming C: is the GPS (or your computer's HD) and the D: is the SD card...you don't give me much to go on.

If you want the map on the SD card, simply create a \Garmin folder on it and move the map (IMG) into it.

@choochoo

You keep telling us what you did and didn't do. Surprise!! We understood.

Try to Do what we suggest.

To be sure put the Sd in your computer and be sure you see the sd in windows explorer

if you do give the SD a name and make a folder called Garmin and put this map you downloaded on that folder. Be sure to see (SD drive letter)\Garmin\yourmapname.img

When done put it in the colorado.

Btw the garmin folder on the c: is NOT the same, this will be your basic garmin folder on the computer

Putting the map there is wrong in this case.

When you connect the gps to the computer you should see the gps in explorer after a couple of seconds, after a short time you should also see the Sd with the name you gave before.

Turns out guys that garmin has a glich in the City Nav for Canada Only Map....the download they send you has the wrong file name...and also 1 file is NFG....I got of hold of GArmin tech and he emailed me the new file and changed the name on the other file and BAMMMMM all is well...Sorry if I offended anyone during my frustrated last 3 days and thank you all for the info.....