I want to be the first to find

Fox_Trot

When you look at the forums and you click on the alabama part it shoots you to where you can browse by city but it also shows you the past like 7 caches that were put out there... i want to be the the first so when does the site update it? is it a certain time of the day? :)

The new cached are posted whenever the reviewer gets to them. There is no set time. If you want to be the FTF you have to battle with the Premium members. If you subscribe to this you can set up notifications to either receive a text message to your phone (what I do) or receive an email when a new cache is posted within the parameters you set.

Im up in Prattville if you need someone to cache with.

wow neat'o... not a bad idea, i think i need to get more into it till i become a prem member. I just get frustrated finding these nano's and buffalo tubes and give up easily. I think once i find more ill get the hang of it, you know any really neat areas to take a dog around here?

The first 4 are right near my house in Prattville if you need help. I dont know of any off hand in Montgomery.

These 2 are in the same park and have doggy poo stations around it. People are always walking their dogs out there.

powerwalking park

Just for kicks

Nice walk, didnt see any signs that you cant have dogs. There usually arent that many people there.

Prattville Wilderness Cache

Slight walk but not bad. One other near by you could leave the dog in the car.

A MacGreat Time

This park has 4 and I believe has the doggy bags too.

Colossus

There are a number of ways to see geocaches in your area.

Start by putting some home coords into your profile area, if you haven't already.

On the right side of the page under SEARCH OPTIONS is a place to:

update home coordinates

http://www.geocaching.com/account/ManageLocations.aspx

or use

http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

Once you've done that, you can click the link on the right side of your home page, Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds) I can't provide a link for these, as I don't know your home coords! but you could....

and below that:

List newest in Alabama, a list which always starts with events, as they're dated into the future

yeah i noticed that the fight around here for the FTF is tough but i upgraded my membership and i went to the page to send me notifications right? well i clicked publish listing...what is archive? do i need to click that too? also, this sends me an email right? i thought for some reason it sent you a text to your phone? but maybe just the email right? :unsure:

If you check "archive" that will send an email when a cache is archived. I only have "New Listing" selected. I have texts sent to my phone as I always have access to it. For Verizon its xxx-xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com. This gives you more info in the text such as distance from home coords over using xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com. Here is a full list.

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

If you check "archive" that will send an email when a cache is archived. I only have "New Listing" selected. I have texts sent to my phone as I always have access to it. For Verizon its xxx-xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com. This gives you more info in the text such as distance from home coords over using xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com. Here is a full list.

so you have only "publish listing" selected? cause i dont see new listing as a choice. Also, i use ATT in the united states so your saying use put XXX-XXX-XXXX@txt.att.net in the email address?

so you have only "publish listing" selected? cause i dont see new listing as a choice. Also, i use ATT in the united states so your saying use put XXX-XXX-XXXX@txt.att.net in the email address?

Had to go look at mine again.

1. Select whatever cached type you want to watch. I have Traditional selected.

2. Check Publish listing.

3. Select how far away you want notifications for.

4. Enter cell # XXX-XXX-XXXX@txt.att.net

Should be good to go.

I receive a text message everytime a cache within 20 miles of my home is published.

dang... well im gonna wait to sign up for a premium member so untill then i prolly wont get one cause theres a group around here that gets the messages i think, thanks guys

That's not necessarily true, there is at least one cache in my area that hasn't been found yet that has been placed for nearly a year! It is a puzzle cache. There was another that went almost 3 months due to difficult location and I have one that has been published for a few days with no find also due to difficult location. So the FTFs are out there even for non-premmies. :rolleyes::anibad:

Don't let that stop you from becoming a Premium member the benefits are more than worth the $30 at least to me.

I receive a text message everytime a cache within 20 miles of my home is published.

and how you do that?...only option is to have email notification <_<

See post #14

well i don't have at&t, is there a list someplace of providers that are supported?