Hosting an event

jasondulac

Hi I've been caching for over a year now and havent met a lot of geocachers. I'ev been To one event it was a CITO I ve wanted to go to more events but there has not been any close considering i don't drive. So I decided I would like to hold an event in brampton was wondering if people could give me some ideas on different types of events I could do and how to go about setting up an event also if you could give me some pointers on how to host a good event

Thanks in advance

JD

I would say initially to just try a simple get together at one of the restaurants near where you live. Maybe at your favourite restaurant or at a unique one

A simple get together to discuss geocaching - past experience / future caches/ puzzles caches. etc.

If you post - they will come.

If you look at the current listings in Ontario, you will get some ideas for a simple event, e.g. like my event coming up like "GC22DAH" and "GC22C8N" , etc. or even review the past "Pub Night Events" held in your area - you would have to go through someone's profile to see them because they would archived by now

or even go to the event in Toronto today if you can find a ride if it is too far. If you send a message out maybe someone will pick you up to help you get there.

Have fun - this is a good way to meet people - hope this helps

Edited by jleecollins

There is lots of information in the gc.com forums... use the search option and search "event". Lots of good tips come up from other posts that have been added over the months and years. It is good reading and probably will answer many questions.

I did this when I hosted my first event and found lots of good information!

It is great that you are in interested in hosting an event. There is never enough of them!

Ohh... and if you have any other specific questions that you need answering please feel free to email me directly. I have only planned and hosted two but have been to lots. I am willing to help out electronically [:)]. I just don't come on here at a regular basis so might miss your questions.

Edited by brendah

Hi I've been caching for over a year now and havent met a lot of geocachers. I'ev been To one event it was a CITO I ve wanted to go to more events but there has not been any close considering i don't drive. So I decided I would like to hold an event in brampton was wondering if people could give me some ideas on different types of events I could do and how to go about setting up an event also if you could give me some pointers on how to host a good event

Thanks in advance

JD

Hey Jason, the first event we hosted was little more than a coffee time, and everyone enjoyed it.

Here's a link to the now archived page - Coffee and Caching

We had some caches lined up for folks to do afterward, so that people who had just met each other could get out on the trails together. We also had a couple of door prizes to give away.

Keep it simple, and have fun!

Edited by doingitoldschool

Yep, simple and fun is the way to go for most events.

I've held two events so far, with a third one coming up later this month. One was a Pub Night and the other was a Breakfast Event. The Pub Night was a simple "sit down, order some grub and talk about caching" event. The breakfast event was the same but with a few cheapo door prized thrown in.

Some events get very elaborate and involved, but they don't all have to be that way.

The hardest thing is trying to gauge how many people are expected to show up. My pub night was a little ways out of the city so when I set it up I figured 10 people would be about it. Then as the "Will Attend" logs came in I ramped up the estimate to 15-20. I think we ended up with something closer to 25 or 30.

Of course, for last year's breakfast event, the restaurant forgot I had called several times over a period of a couple of months to keep them aware that a group of us would be invading but they managed to deal with us without too many issues. When hosting an event you need to stay flexible.

Cheers.

The hardest thing is trying to gauge how many people are expected to show up. My pub night was a little ways out of the city so when I set it up I figured 10 people would be about it. Then as the "Will Attend" logs came in I ramped up the estimate to 15-20. I think we ended up with something closer to 25 or 30.

The GTA Geofriends pub events (which have occurred in Brampton, Mississauga et al) have typically attracted 40-60 people. Sometimes over a hundred. I usually start by asking for about 40 people and what the upper limit on the pub capacity is. Most pubs will happily book the group in, and ask for a confirmation of the final numbers about a week or two before the event.

Remember when booking a pub, to ask if it is open to children under the age of 19 - and if there are any restrictions like minors having to leave at 9:00pm.